July 30, 2014

I want Samantha Brown's job

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 15th 2006 1:46PM
samantha brownVacation homes? Luxury hotels? Hawaii? Europe? Yes, please!

I'm absolutely convinced that the Travel Channel's Samantha Brown has the best job on the planet. Years ago, I used to get a kick out of her Vacation Homes show where she would tour small and large vacation homes and joke (nicely) about the decorations and the locale. Lately, she's appearing in the Passport to Europe series. This morning, I watched as she munched on a fresh waffle and toured a comic book museum in Brussels, Belgium. I think what I like best about Samantha is her accessibility. She seems like a swell gal with a wry sense of humor and a lot of energy. She seems to vacation the way 'normal' people would vacation.

Who do you think has the best job in television?

JustlikeHeavy

Yeah, I want the job of the VIP Passport guys! Hang out with hot chicks and go to every awesome event in the world, check out hot bands in tiny intimate performances, stay at the finest hotels, eat at the most expensive restaraunts, check out the most exclusive club vip rooms... it's insane. I want that job.

October 30 2006 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

I would much prefer Tony Bourdain's job. After all, can you imagine Samantha chasing down the Green Fairy (absinthe) in Paris?

August 18 2006 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob P

I love Sam!!!!Would like to work with her,She is hot!!!

August 17 2006 at 12:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roby

Samantha's job looks great and lots of fun, going to expenisive hotels, eating great food, getting massages, and going places the ordinary tourist can't go. I am envious of her job but(especially when she went on that cruise to Europe) but I have read her travel journal(www.travelchannel.com-look for the Samantha Brown page)and she says at the resturants, she has one bite of the food or pretends to sip the drink and then the shot is over and the food is whisked away, I'm also positive that those massages don't last longer then the shot, so maybe this dream job isn't such a dream job after all?(but you still get to see all those places and you still are staying at the fabulous hotels)

August 15 2006 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I dunno... I would imagine hosting these shows is cushier, than say, the guy toting the camera, the lights, or the sound equipment that follow her (or Bourdain) around everywhere. But I'm sure there's coordination, script memorization, multiple takes, long shooting days, and other things that you don't see that makes Samantha's job harder than it looks. Like I said, it's still cushy, but it's all massages, all the time.

August 15 2006 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

Despite his unfortunate time in Beruit last month, I'd have to say Anthony Bourdain. All he gets to do is go to foreign locales, eat a few meals (which only really requires 30-60 minutes of your day anyway...) and then get to soak up the local color.

After watching his 2 hour long special in asia, I think I'd suffer through eating a single plate of black tripe for a month long excursion to mainland China and Japan.

And then his day job? To be an executive chef at some NYC restaurant...

August 15 2006 at 4:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I find her incredible irritating. She uses a faux upper-class inflection that is SOOO grating.

August 15 2006 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I have to agree with you on Samantha, I think this EVERY TIME I watch that show. I hate her yet I am envious of her. Who is she that she just gets to go around to 5 star hotels and get massages and eat at their fancy resturants? I love hotels also and I would do it for free.

August 15 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply