September 2, 2014

And now, a word about the two-bit weasel slug

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 16th 2006 3:36PM

Tony KornheiserAh, yes, the two-bit weasel slug. I remember seeing something about this on Animal Planet. They're only found in certain climates around the world, and are usually harmless, unless provoked by sports columnists.

A few days ago we talked about Tony Kornheiser's worry that he would be a flop on Monday Night Football. I didn't see his first performance so I can't comment on it (but you can go ahead and put your comments below), but his coworker at The Washington Post did and wrote a review of it. And now Kornheiser is fighting back at Paul Farhi's review, calling him a two-bit weasel slug and saying he's someone "I would gladly run over with a Mack truck."

For the record, the coworkers here at TV Squad never say bad things about each other. Ever.

Brian

I thought Tony did OK in his first broadcast... you could tell he was nervous, but he admitted as much. I like his self-deprecating style and fast wit. He'll never be the play-by-play guy that Tirico or Theismann is I guess, but Theismann's ego drives me nuts.

August 17 2006 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

I was going to complain that Bob sould be madder at Adam with his comment til I realised Adam is your TV squad coworker Adam. Heh!

And Derek may just have forgotten his ;)

August 16 2006 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

Derek: is that really necessary? Do you really think I'd take the line "two bit weasel" out of nowhere and throw it in a headline?

I linked to the wrong piece. I corrected it.

August 16 2006 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Derek

At what point does he fight back, or use the term "two-bit weasel slug"? Did you link to the wrong article, or did you just make this up, Bob?

August 16 2006 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam Finley

Go to Hell, Bob.

August 16 2006 at 5:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen Mendelsohn

Not sure if it has been edited, but that quote is not in the WaPo article that's linked to.

Meanwhile I thought Tony did great. The 3 of them need to work on their timing, but it was a solid start and bodes well. He's no Dennis Miller; his references are normal, and he does understand football generally.

August 16 2006 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply