October 1, 2014

Eureka inventions available online

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 16th 2006 7:02PM
eurekaIf you've never seen the SciFi series Eureka, you're missing one of the best new shows of the season. Actually, I've never seen a single episode, I just thought for a change of pace I would lionize things I've never actually seen or experienced. Have you ever put ranch dressing on a jelly donut? It's absolutely delicious, I'm telling you. Sorry, I'll get to the point: as a way to promote the series a faux shopping channel has been set up where people can "purchase" some of the cool and weird inventions that appear on the show. I'm thinking of getting myself a TemporalVision Monitor so I can get a jump on the next book Oprah wants everyone to read. When you try to buy the non-existent products, you're actually entered into a sweepstakes to win a Sony HDTV and Blu-ray player. All in all, a clever bit of marketing for the show. The site is MadeInEureka.com.

Brian

I think the show is great. Among all the new shows this summer, Eureka is the only one I'm still watching (... just stopped watching Psych.) I think it's cool that the sci-fi channel keeps putting out new, original series that are fresh and different from each other (BSG, Stargate (both SG1 and Atlantis), Eureka and BSG). I hope Eureka is finding an audience... I really don't know how successful (or not) it is yet in the ratings department.

August 17 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SuperFan Ken

I too love this show. It is rare that a show is this original. This one does it without being campy (as some of the SciFi Channel's movies are).

It's a funny and smart show while not talking down to the audience.

August 17 2006 at 6:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darkbhudda

Eureka is great fun. My favourite new show.

It can be funny and it can be dark. Yes, I know the smart house was predictable, but still I laughed. The memory wiping plot really broke my heart. Too many shows either go dark without letting up or refuse to explore the ramifications of its own ideas.

August 16 2006 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

I disagree I find it tongue-in-cheek and humorous. The government conspiracy is if anything a small back story so it doesn't become just a scifi soap opera. Is it like the X-Files? Yes the funny episodes of X-Files. Which were some of the best.

August 16 2006 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gene

I'm sorry to say that Eureka isn't all that great -- one of the biggest problems it faces is the happy shiny fun promos that SciFi airs constantly, making it appear to be a tongue-in-cheek, humorous, light show. It's not. It's a dark, government conspiracy show, with a slight bit of humor here and there. A remake of The X Files, without the high quality.
The SciFi promos are bit of bait and switch, sadly.

August 16 2006 at 9:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply