April 16, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 7 Elimination

by Deidre Woollard, posted Aug 16th 2006 10:34PM
(S02E14) This week Supernova decides to play with one of the rockers. They ask the audience who should play and the response is loud. Dilana. Cut to a shot of Lukas looking deeply annoyed. Sure enough, Dilana gets the honor of being the first to test out a Supernova song. She's got the look and she definitely doesn't get lost in front of the boys. But will that raspy voice hold out for weeks and weeks of concert touring? Also, (and I hate myself for saying this) would the band be better served by having someone younger as the lead singer?

Supernova must be deaf, dumb and blind. They give the encore to Ryan. His performance is a bit less faux-dark than last night but still, I'm just not buying what he's selling.

The first one in the bottom three is Zayra. Could this be the week she goes? She picks a song by Blue October that I haven't heard before. Just when I think I'd really like to see her disappear I remember how much I enjoy watching her. Not listening to her unfortunately because I can't really understand what she is saying much of the time but she is absolutely riveting.

Patrice is also on in the bottom three yet again. She takes on a Hole song but does it such a bouncy upbeat way that I wonder if she ever really listens to the lyrics of the songs she sings.

Magni is the third member of the bottom three. Unfair. I thought he did a pretty decent job before and I think that Supernova is not prepared to send him home even before he sings. He signs the song mellifluously but without a lot of angst. This song deserves far more intensity. Laying down does not make you intense. Still, he's not going anywhere yet.

This is Zayra's week to get the axe. She sang her heart out and I hope she finds a career in some sort of art rock because she is, as Dave said, very compelling.

Lauren

Lucas Rossi is the best by far! He is compelling; his voice, his facial expressions and his stage presence are incredible. There is no one like him.

September 09 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gean Johnson

Lucas Rossi is the one! He has shown that he can handle any kind of music. Why haven't the contestants been singing the music that was made great by Guns and Roses, Metallica and Motley Crue? I would like to hear Lucas sing "November Rain" by G&R. How about it? Go Lucas!! Johnsonge

August 27 2006 at 1:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

I am turning 50 years of age this year I have been a rocker my whole life, I saw Janis Joplin in concert, and The first time I heard dilana sing It took me back to that concert. I know that if dilana wins I will be one of her biggest fans.

August 23 2006 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
michelle

i love storm she is so cool and magni,dilana and ryan are awsome also. i am so happy that zayra left cuz i didn't like her at all, also lukus sux majorly you can't understand what he is singing half the time! GO SUPERNOVA YOU ROCK!

August 17 2006 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BigRon

Dilana is, in short, vastly overrated. Seriously, can anyone detect any appreciable difference in her growl, er, voice, in any of the songs she has sung? When boiled down to their essence, they all sound the same. Smoking her pack of cigs a day I'm sure won't help any, either. Plus, don't forget her fantastic songwriting skills -- yeah, bring your heineys and your thongs.....Hahahaha...At least give Lukas credit, he has changed it up every week - and not just his presentation, but his voice and range. Plus, he can actually contribute by writing and arranging songs. Also, he doesn't have to be a "great" singer, only a "good" singer, because his stage presence and personality carry the day. Did anyone ever consider Vince Neil a great singer? Hell no -- he couldn't carry a tune if it had a handle. Yet, he was a great frontman because he had all of the intangibles - like Lukas - except, I think, Lukas actually has a better voice. At this point, however, I almost DON'T want Lukas to win -- he's too good for this band and would have a better career without them. The three stooges (as I like to call them) clearly aren't committed themselves to this band as they haven't left their old bands to do this, so I can see Lukas' interest waning because he wants to make it big and have it last, but this project doesn't appear to be the way to do it. And these are Lukas' own sentiments, as I've read on other sites that he's posted them on his blog but the producers subsequently removed them (or made him do so).

August 17 2006 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian Erst

Zayra Alvarez was a guest vocalist for Blue October on one of their albums and has opened for the band, so the song choice wasn't exactly surprising.

What is surprising is that so few people seem to realize that most of these folks (not just Magni, King of Icelandic Rock) have careers in the rock minor leagues - this isn't an American Idol with a bunch of nobodies performing. Storm does so well on stage because she's been doing a sort of performance-art/rock combo for years (Storm and the Balls).

I generally like Dilana, although her raspy voice doesn't always work (I thought her Cats in the Cradle performance was her worst so far). You can see that it ticks off Lukas no end to hear Jason lecture him about the strained rasp in his voice every flipping week when no one ever mentions that Dilana's Steve Nicks on a Motorbike vocals are similarly raspy. They both constrict their vocals to stay on key during transitions - not exactly a revelation.

No one at this stage really sucks (although Patrice comes d*mn close), but this week really showed how indistinct several of their voices are. Toby's no Peter Gabriel and Patrice is no Sting. Ryan may be faux-intense, but at least he didn't seem like a bad Phil Collins clone.

I'm setting my "Patrice Goes Home" countdown clock for this time next week...

August 17 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pamela

If this new band's original songs are not any better than last evening's "debut", they're in big trouble. For all the hoopla made over the face that this was the first time they ever played together live, this song was most forgettable.

I agree that last year's contestants were more talented as a group, but I think Dilana has the talent needed for this band. I hope they require all the contestants to write their own songs like they did last season, as this band needs a hit single like "Pretty Vegas".

August 17 2006 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CW

How old is Dilana? I don't remember hearing or seeing it anywhere. Just curious. Thanks.

August 17 2006 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Each week I liked Z more and more and more. I also loved how everyone said her name differently too. She reminded me some of Bjork but she sounded fantastic on her original. She made the show interesting and I'm going to miss her. Didn't think she should win but I thought Patrice could go and let Z stay one more week to entertain.

BTW.. Magni sang Creep by Radiohead... the anthem for his generation... did not know that. Just like I didn't know Cats in the Cradle was the greatest American Anthem. There is only one song that should be considered the greatest American Anthem and that's American Pie by Don McLean. I will say Cats in the Cradle is up there but it's not the greatest and what a stupid song to pick for the show anyway.

August 17 2006 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaxx

What Patrice did to "Celebrity Skin" cannot be forgiven. Even Lukas sounded better and he didn't know the words. I had never heard Z's song before but I am sure going to look it up because I *want* to hear it now. It's a shame Z really pulled off a great performance to be axed because (I assume) Pat's cuter. :P
As for Delana being old, HELLO?!?, weren't all those guys performing in the 80s? AND Delana's voice rocks! I'm not sure about whether she's straining at all to sing, but haven't all these contestants fronted bands before? She should hold up! Go Delana!!

August 17 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply