April 23, 2014

Jane Krakowski added to 30 Rock

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 17th 2006 7:01PM
Jane KrakowskiOk, I'm confused. When I read the other day about how Rachel Dratch's role on 30 Rock was going to change, the article read that they were going to scrap her role of Jenna DeCarlo, star of the series' fictional "Girlie Show." But according to TV Week, Lorne Michaels and company have decided to recast the role of Jenna with former Ally McBeal co-star Jane Krakowski.

As previously mentoned, Dratch will still be a part of the show, playing various roles. But it now makes me wonder why she was taken out of what was going to be a plum part on the show. Is it because they can utilize her talents in this different role, or was Rachel just not cutting it as a co-star? Krakowski seems like an odd fit to this ensemble, as most of them have extensive improv and sketch experience (and Alec Baldwin is one of the best SNL hosts ever, so he counts, too). Maybe they needed Krakowski's musical theater talents and are making the role of Jenna more musical. I'm not sure. But all this retooling is starting to get me worried about the show.

Stavros

Jane has lots of Improv experience; all the voices she did in animated films were Improv gigs ... no script is what makes the animated flicks so good. That's why comedians do so many of the voices in the animated flicks. Ask Regis how good Jane is. They even know her in Russia! 30 Rock will be a hit for years.

August 22 2006 at 7:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicky

I thought I was all alone in thinking that Jane K. is way underappreciated! Love her! I also semi-worship Tina Fey, so I was already really excited about the show, but even more so now that Jane's been cast. I really think she'll be wonderful.

August 19 2006 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Jane Krakowski has such a strong theater background that I can't see how she will be bad in this role. I've always thought she was one of those unappreciated actresses out there and I'm glad to see her get this shot. Sorry I'm not a Dratch fan at all so I'm glad this isn't going to become a weekly SNL skit.

August 18 2006 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Porchland

I have not seen the pilot, but the scene reel that NBC is running on its web site is just screaming funny. Jane Krakowski is a great comedic actress, but I hope this doesn't screw with a good thing.

August 18 2006 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

Jen, I've seen the show. I know it's good. But the pilot's also going to be redone now, to show all the changes. I just hope the changes are for the better.

August 17 2006 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jengod

Don't be worried. It's a GREAT show.

August 17 2006 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply