April 23, 2014

KCAL reporter breaks news about Bruno Kirby

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 17th 2006 9:12PM

Bruno KirbyI just saw this mentioned on Countdown with Keith Olbermann. He named KCAL's Dave Clarke as a "Worst Person in the World" for his incredibly amateurish, lame, and cringe-inducing work in this news story. He decided to break the news about actor Bruno Kirby's death to celebrities at a premiere that either knew him and/or worked with him, Most of them didn't even know that Kirby had died, and they are truly shocked and saddened by his death, especially Jennifer Tilly. Listen to the way he just casually says "yeah, he died!" to the interviewees. A truly crass job.

Oh, and it's Robert DAVI, not Dabi. Jeez.

Josh

I can't find the video on there. Where did you see it?

August 18 2006 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

I actually disagree with you all on here.
It's sad that Kirby died, but obviously none of these celebrities were close to Kirby to know that he was even sick. If he was interviewing a relative or close friend of Kirby's, that would be a different story. The reporter was merely trying to get their reaction to his passing, which they obviously didn't know about.

I will agree that the reporter should have appeared more solemn, but in terms of interviewing the celebrities, I didn't have a problem with that.

August 18 2006 at 3:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rose

You have GOT to be kidding!!! That guy would get booted off of our local stations in my city.

August 18 2006 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ann

That is unbelievable. Complete lack of respect for the deceased and the folks on camera. I hope Clark hears about this from viewers. Reprehensible.

August 18 2006 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColinInLA

Yet another reason I look to other sources for news. This is disgraceful.

August 18 2006 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Laura

complete jackhole.
not the time or the place

August 18 2006 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

I'd say he was a jackass but that would be an insult to donkeys the world over. And yet it's no more than I've come to expect from local news, at least in the United States where the competition is incredibly fierce. It's not even the worst incident I've seen over the years. That still belongs to the Detroit news crew that followed a Navy chaplain into the home of a sailor who had been killed aboard the USS Stark. Now that was way beyond crass.

August 18 2006 at 4:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Woods

When are people going to get it? The people who work in the news media are like children who have been raised with no manners. How would this guy have felt if a reporter broke the news of his best friend or brother during an interview? Just stop watching the mainstream media and they will get the message.
Horrible

August 17 2006 at 10:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason P.

"Did you know he died! Did you know he died! Bruno Kirby died! He died!" That's not news; that's exploitation. What a jerk.

August 17 2006 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will Teullive

What a moron. I like the way he can't remember the four or five top Bruno Kirby movies and he keeps glancing at his sheet.

The TV news mentality was nailed by Don Henley twenty years ago in his song "Dirty Laundry". The sad part is that it's gotten worse since.

August 17 2006 at 9:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply