April 23, 2014

Project Runway: Waste Not, Want Not

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 17th 2006 7:34AM
Project Runway(S03E06) After Heidi told the designers that they've had it relatively easy all season, she sent them to Newark, New Jersey to learn about their new, tougher challenge. There, Tim presented them with several massive mounds of mylar and peanut bags and paper. The designers were challenged to create an outfit out of three bins' worth of this recyclable material. Plus, they had a budget of only $25 (limited to only art supplies) and had to finish it by midnight that night (instead of their normal two days). Crunch time!

The guest judge was stylist Rachel Zoe. Follow along by checking out the designs on "Rate the Runway".

Jeffrey: Jeffrey did a pretty good job with his newspaper dress. Wild and well-done. I'd appreciate him a lot more if he wasn't so full of himself. After coming in second, he said that Michael made "clothes that are the equivalent of diabetic food". Good sport.

Alison: [OUT] I thought her model situation was tremendously unfair. Why in the hell did Runway hire a model whose body is so different from the rest? I don't think that the designers should have to stray from their original vision just to accommodate the model's unusual figure. Changing the length of a skirt is one thing, but altering the design completely is a ridiculous request. Really, really unfair. I'm sure Alison would have stayed if her model had an actual waist. Okay, and if she got rid of that silly Minne Mouse hairdo. Poor Alison. She was a real sweetheart.

Angela: I guess Angela saved the drama for next week's episode (the previews show a teary-eyed breakdown). Nothing remarkable about this outfit.

Laura: First of all, I think it's hilarious that Laura wears a crisp, white dress shirt to bed. I guess she was totally serious when she said that she didn't want to give in to dressing sloppily. Anyway, the judges loved her dress. Clean, simple and well-tailored. I'm always impressed by how sharp Laura's designs look. They're not really my style, but I can appreciate the lines. I want to see her do some real, hardcore deconstructing.

Kayne: Damn, Kayne had a hell of a time trying to figure out what he was doing. Both of his attempts at the skirt were way too costume-y. It was kind of a startling drop from his Marilyn Monroe piece from the previous episode.

Michael: [WINNER] Michael won once again! The bustier he created was amazing. I would have liked to see a larger plastic wrap thingy, but I guess it could have been a little overwhelming.

Robert: If it wasn't for the disco-ball shininess, his dress was wearable. Good work, but not enough to stand out. Safe.

Uli: Maybe it's just me, but Uli's accent sounds more and more adorable with each episode. She's the happiest little thing all the time... She never gets involved in the drama. Uli just does her work and looks cute and German. She made a silver and white dress that actually looked somewhat wearable.

Vincent: [ALMOST OUT] Okay, Project Runway people. I've figured you out. Vincent's not really a contestant, is he? He's actually a mole, planted by the producers to spy on the other designers and report on their behavior. A-ha! It was actually Vincent, not Kayne, who found Keith's pattern books!

I've got to be right, because there's no other way in hell Vincent has made it so far. I honestly can't think of anything positive to say about this man. I was livid when Heidi told Vincent he was in. C'mon. This week's dress was ridiculous. At least Alison's looked like it took some construction skills! Seriously, I can easily recreate Vincent's outfit with a large poster board and that crap that gets left behind in hole-punchers. His model could barely walk in that thing! Laura couldn't even contain herself when she bitched him out in the back room. Oh, and his repeated mutterings of "it gets me off" and "it turns me on" completely creeped me out. Who invited the old guy to the party?

sillyme

"I thought her model situation was tremendously unfair. Why in the hell did Runway hire a model whose body is so different from the rest?"

How exactly is the model situation unfair? Michael used the same model in the first challenge and the dog outfit challenge. He was able to creat slick and sexy outfits and the model's size was never an issue. Model's size was also not an issue for Alison in the Icon episode.

August 23 2006 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melissa

Oh wow, this season does NOT compare to nothing of season 1 & 2. Something else needs to happen here,something exciting!!!auf-------ings......

August 22 2006 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shannon

I really liked Michael's approach this time, but Jeffery's design stole my heart! (well, they always do) I just think that Michael's idea was very neat, but the wrap to me looked like a plastic bag.... I think Jeffery needs to get more credit for his inspired original creations....I hope he wins this next challenge.

August 22 2006 at 11:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
linda

Michael has impressed me from the start - one of the only designers that I would actually wear - Uli too! She's very creative. Speaking creatively - Jeffrey's dress last show was very creative and I though beautiful - he deserved a win! Laura - you may know how to make clothes - but BORING - looks like anything we've seen already.. and why she feels the need to be so nasty! Mommy dearest.

August 21 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary-Kay

Am I the only one that thinks Vincent at least tries to come up with something new and exciting every challenge? His designs may not please the audience but he is at least a risk taker and his ideas are organic (from his own imagination-not from someone elses line or mother's closet!)-Micheal is finally getting attention-well deserved, but in this challenge Jeffrey is the only one that made wearable art-Uli's, Laura's and Robert seem to have a problem thinking outside of the box and keep repeating the same designs week after week, as for Angela,Holly Hobby and the craft classes at summer camp have had a lasting impression on her. Allison did a lot of sniping on the other contestants on her interview on Entertainment, and it was her model, not a stranger-that would be wearing her outfit, picking on that poor woman -calling her large-plus size etc. is irresponsible and cruel, what size is he a 4?

August 18 2006 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Jackie - is that her boob? I thought it was her ribs!

August 17 2006 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ed Varga

I like the conspiracy idea regarding Vincent. Although, I don't think he is an official plant by the producers, I think they obviously pick people and personalities to create work-room drama. As the show continues, you will see that good AND nice designers (like Allison) will always lose to mediocre AND annoying designers like Vincent. Vincent and Allison certainly had my least favorite outfits, but the producers think. "Mmmm...which would would stir the pot for the remaining episodes".
I just read something from Allison on MySpace, she is doing great!

August 17 2006 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie

my biggest issue with Laura is... Does she have any freakin thing to wear besides that black freakin dress with her boobies hanging out. I know she said she wears only her own designs so where the heck are they?

August 17 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tcheese

I don't really understand the anger over Allison's model. While I totally agree Vincent should have been kicked off, I think that a lot of this competition is about being able to design for different occasions and people. A good designer is able to design for any female body and just b/c her model was slightly bigger than the rest doesn't mean her skills should fall. After all, she had her measurements. It wasn't like the model suddenly changed in a day.

August 17 2006 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Annie, you hit the mark dead on.

Hearing the phrase "it gets me off" by Vincent would be enough for me to douse myself in gasoline and strike a match on the spot. Ick.

Vincent remains in the contest, IMO, just so we viewers have something completely horrible to marvel at each week. Alison should have been given a little credit for her past work and her garment at least had thought put behind it. Vincent's crap didn't look much differnt than the recycle collage my preschooler brought home last week.

It was a toss up for me between Jeffrey and Michael. Michael's was elegant, Jeffrey's interesting. I am glad Michael won simply because I find Jeffrey an ass and his tattoo makes me crazy. Why would someone with an ugly, long, odd shaped neck draw attention to it by tattooing it? The "if you are going to stare anyway" factor is the only thing I can thing of.

At least Kayne knew he made a dog. With as little time as they had, he didn't have the ability to fix it.

I like Uli, but I find all her designs look the same to me. The same bodice with just different length skirts and different materials.

I should hate Laura, but I find myself loving her. She doesn't take crap from anyone and will even stand up for fellow designers. I thought it was a compliment that the judges said they could tell her work without being told who did it. It has a modern take on old classics and I don't see it as being the same outfit over and over at all (unlike Uli's).

Great season so far!