April 25, 2014

Shin Chan coming to Adult Swim

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 17th 2006 2:01PM

shin chanShin Chan, a dubbed version of the Japanese anime (and manga) also known as Crayon Shin Chan, will debut on Adult Swim this Saturday at 10:30 pm. My anime knowledge is rather limited, so if you know anything about this series feel free to school me in the comments below. I did find some clips of the original version on YouTube, and clips of the newly dubbed version can be found here. Evan Dorkin, creator of Welcome to Eltingville, helped with re-writing the dialogue and dubbing the series for American audiences. He talks about it on his Live Journal, and it sounds like he's trying to distance himself somewhat from the project, or at least protect himself from the ire of anime lovers who hate dubbed versions of anything. Click here for the Adult Swim schedule grid, which as far as I can tell is the only place on the site that mentions the show.

[via Toon Zone]

coreygene

geatest adult cartoon and if anybody has netflix you can watch them all

June 27 2011 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dvddesign

I have about a 6 hour tape of episodes of Shin Chan that someone picked up for me when I took Japanese in college.

The show's been on for 15 years in Japan. There's been an annual "movie" released every year SINCE then. Some of these movies air on TV, some are theatrical...

The show is about a 4 year old boy who is essentially the japanese version of Bart Simpson. He has a 1 year old sister... His mother is constantly embarassed by his actions, and he pays no respect to his mother or his father.

From what I've read, it's only getting aired 6 times, which means that they're just testing the waters for a new Inu Yasha replacement, like they did with Detective Conan/Case Closed. Case Closed was actually a decent series, but I think that comedy shows just don't stand a chance with Adult Swim. I don't have high hopes for Shin-chan. I wish it well, I really do, but I'm being realistic about it.

I guess it's one of the reasons why I've never seen Urusei Yatsura/Ramna/Maison Ikokku/Love Hina/Excel Saga and the like appear on Adult Swim's schedule.

Some of us don't care for too much action in our anime...

August 18 2006 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morgan at Spot Cost

It's pretty popular in Thailand, and I don't understand well enough to get everyting, but I do enjoy seeing his cartoon rear end blurred out for indecency.

August 18 2006 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Campbell

I've been reading the original manga version since I was a kid, it's hilarious and unlike the other animes that the U.S. audience have seen. Shin-chan's different from Bart though in that Shin-chan doesn't have a bad-boy image; he makes witty remarks with a face of an innocent five-year-old in a off-hand sort of way. And yeah, he's one horny five-year-old. His hobbies include reading swimsuit photobooks, checking out weather ladies on TV and trying (unsuccessfully) to pick up adult chicks wherever he can (he likes older women). Definitely more smartly-written that those already adapted for the U.S. audience.

August 17 2006 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sachi

My brothers (ages 14 and 10), who live in Japan, love this show. It's quite dirty for a children's show, so I kind of understand why it's being added to Adult Swim. My dad is also a big fan, as it is one of the few cartoons that he will watch with the boys. However, my dad is also a rabid fan of Leslie Nielsen movies, Family Matters, and Perfect Strangers. Take that as you will.

August 17 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

The promo for the show on [as] was apologetic. It also seemed to jokingly acknowledge that the show might jeopardize a few jobs.

August 17 2006 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
owen

"The Beat" gives a little context and background info. (Though maybe this doesn't add anything to the info from the other links.)
Shin Chan is a 5-year-old boy who likes running around with his pants off, smelling his farts, and creating all sorts of tremendous embarrassment for his parents and everyone else around. Mom is a stay-at-home and dad is a salariman, and Shin Chan delights in making brutal fun of his mothers wrinkles and small boobs, as well as his dad's interest in looking at other women. Shin Chan is often called the "Bart Simpson of Japan," and its easy to see how his upending of conventional mores would appeal in a society where face is everything.

August 17 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply