November 1, 2014

Tony Jay dead

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 18th 2006 3:28PM

Tony JayYes, the headline would usually include the "at (age)," but I can't find anything that says what his age was. Nothing on the IMDB, and nothing on his site either.

You would recognize Jay's voice as much as his face, as he voiced an incredible number of cartoons over the years, including The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Reboot, Spiderman, Teen Titans, Superman, The Mighty Ducks, Gargoyles, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, as well as a massive number of videogames: World of Warcraft, X-Men Legends, Lionhearts, various Star Trek games, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and just about every other video game ever made that used a voice. But he had live action roles in TV and movies too, including Lois and Clark, Newhart, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., Mr. Belvedere, Twin Peaks, Beauty and the Beast, Eerie, Indiana, Matlock, Murphy Brown, Picket Fences, and The Golden Girls. He was also a Royal Shakespeare Company actor and a singer.

He died earlier this week after surgery for removal of a non-cancerous growth on his lungs.

alina

i had the chance to watch The Hunchback of Notre Dame, only this year in September. as i watched it i was charmed by the wonderfully evil Judge Clade Frollo, the best vilain i have ever seen, with his incredibly masculine voice. imediately after, i surfed the net to find out things about the actor that did such a refined job, and i was very sorry to learn the terrible news.
as i found some of his voice samples on the net i saved them to my computer, and i listen to them when i am sad. they bring great confort to me. i dont know why but he remembers me a lot of my grandparents who also have past away (my grandma just a month before Mr. Tony J)
i think that although he liked to play evil characters he was a kind person, his face and sometimes his voice show this.
good bye, dear friend, whom i never met, you are "leaving sooo soon". may God bless your soul, and rest it in a "place full of light, among green fields, where all pain, sarrow, grief, have melted away." R. I. P.

November 12 2006 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

Tony Jay was 73 when he passed away, I'm still very saddened about it. He was a great voice actor & one of my top faves. I had hopes of meeting him some day. I think I felt this way with Rodney Dangerfield. May TJ & Rodney both rest in peace.

October 26 2006 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

A great actor. He will be missed!

October 12 2006 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reed

What a fantastic voice actor. With such a diverse portfolio of accomplishments there are very few people that can compare to the talents of Tony Jay. My favorite work of his was in the Blood Omen series, he is perfect for every role he plays

he will always be the Elder God in my eyes. Rest in peace my friend

August 28 2006 at 12:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rasbill

saddest thing is with all those cool things he did, i can only remember him from the golden girls

August 20 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cerulean

So sad. He was my favourite voice actor. He was so talented! I loved him as Megabyte, my favourite villain.
I'll always remember the one line he had in Erie, Indiana when he played the mummy: "So many channels, so little to watch." I often use that line myself now.
I'll miss you, Tony!

August 20 2006 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zarquon

Its okay with me that you couldn't find the age. For whatever reason "so-and-so dead at 89" seems odd. "dead at 23" makes more sense, because the age is part of the story. "dies at 89" sounds more appropriate, maybe because its slightly more gentle and doesn't make it sound like they died of a horrific drug overdose or improbable accident.

August 18 2006 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

Tony Jay did indeed have a great voice. Two guest appearances I'll always remember are as Judge Gatt in an episode of 'The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.' (He went to Yale; Brisco went to Harvard - not a point in the favor of Brisco's client), and as the spirit of Charles Dickens, a figment of the imagination, in a holiday episode of 'Sisters'.

A great character actor already missed.....

August 18 2006 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dawgbytez

Wiki says he was born in 1935

August 18 2006 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

Oh how sad! Tony Jay will always be Nigel St. John from Lois & Clark to me. He played Lex Luthor's deliciously evil butler/sidekick. My most favorite quote from L&C just happens to be one by "Nigel";

"Dream all you want, but nothing quite prepares you for the moment."

August 18 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply