September 30, 2014

Big Brother 7 (U.K.) winner announced

by Martin Conaghan, posted Aug 19th 2006 7:22PM

PeteThe 13-week long marathon that was the seventh series of the popular reality TV show Big Brother in the U.K. ended last night, with Tourette Syndrome sufferer Pete Bennett ending the show as the last remaining contestant in the house and earning himself £100,000 prize money in the process.

Having re-introduced former evictee Niki back to the BB house last week (and thereby confirming what a sham the whole Big Brother process is), viewers watched as the final six housemates were left to slug it out and then departed the house one at a time on the whim of the public, starting with Liverpudlian Jenny, then Niki, followed by Canadian Richard.

Davina McCall then chopped it down to the last two when Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace was evicted from the house, leaving just Pete and Welsh lad Glyn.

When the announcement finally arrived, Pete jumped around the house throwing pillows into the air, and found it difficult to speak to Davina in the traditional post-celebration interview. Glyn was presented with his exam results and a message from the Welsh First Minister Rhodri Morgan, who described him as an "inspiration for other young people in Wales".
Personally, I wanted Aisleyne to win -- she was the strongest personality in the house and arrived later than most of the others -- but I would have settled for Glyn. I do have to admit though, Pete is a worthy winner, for more than just his entertaining outbursts of foul language.

Of the numerous variations of big Brother I've watched here in the U.K. over the past seven years, this series was by far the worst, and I had pretty much stopped caring about the goings-on in the house somewhere around the midway point (probably when the World Cup kicked in).

Despite this, I continued to watch as much as my brain and nerves could handle, although I found it excruciating to watch Niki's histrionic tantrums and endure Richard's Jerry Springer-like advice.

In the end, we all know Big Brother is nothing more than a freak show, and the freak usually wins -- in this case, it was a lad with a genuine affliction and a fairly ordinary personality, who somehow managed to keep his cool, maintain his dignity and give a sterling account of himself throughout, despite my very early misgivings about the motives behind his inclusion in the show.

But will I watch Big Brother next year when it returns to Channel Four in the summer of 2007?

Don't be stupid, of course I will.

sas

i cryed my eyes out wen nikki came out.i stopped watchin bb really wen nikki came out id only watch it if thur was nuthin else was on, bcos it went crap and i fink the producers were giniuses 2 bring her back cos she was hilari-o-u-s, and i fink she is genuin about petey, cos wen she came out she said in every interview how much she liked him and how she thought it would neva happen btween em and it would be a dream cum true. so all ya shup up sayin it not genuin coz it is. ok! lol
so i hope they r both happy.

September 03 2006 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laura

i think pete n nikki r sooo cute n shud get married n live 2geva they are sooo well matched wich at first u dow notice but if you look at pete's past of being bullied and all and nikki's past of annorexia n OCD they go 2geva like cheese and pickle!!! lol x.x.x.x.x.x

August 25 2006 at 6:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hayley Murphy

Dear Big Brother People, My name is Hayley Murphy. I have a brilliant idea. I think we should have a Big Brother, for kids, like say...(A Little Brother!) I would love to be on that show, I am 14 years old and I love the show Big Brother. I would very much like you to consider this offer, after all, you already have one offer! Yours Truly, HAyley Murphy age 14, FL

August 24 2006 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
olly

hi well i hadnt watched big brother before but this year i got into it . it seems that if you start watching that show you never get out untill it ends then you have to wait another year for the next one i know how sad but hay lets hope petes rock n roll band get big i wanna her what there like..... good hopefully anyway cheers for reading your fellow big brother fan olly

August 22 2006 at 5:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
olly

August 22 2006 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Since i dont live in the UK i havent seen any of this.. But about a week ago a mate of mine from england sent me a mp3 with Glynn (im cooking eggs for the first time, or something like that) i just thought it was so funny, but after he told me about that Glynn dude he sounds like a pretty cool guy.. He sounds like a guy i could have a brew with and have a laugh.. so i guess i would have wanted him to win...? who knows havent seen any of it.. oki im rambling on.....

August 20 2006 at 2:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply