July 24, 2014

Raimi producing Goodkind's Sword of Truth for television

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 20th 2006 6:54PM
wizard's first ruleSam Raimi, director of the Spider-Man and Evil Dead films, as well as producer of popular syndicated series such as Xena and Hercules, recently secured the film rights to author Terry Goodkind's eleven-volume Sword of Truth series. Development of the first part of the lengthy mini-series, based on the first book in the series, Wizard's First Rule, will begin as Raimi wraps up production on Spider-Man 3. The final volume of Goodkind's fantasy series is slated for release in 2008, and more information on the TV adaptation will be available early next year. I've read very little fantasy in my lifetime, but are any of you fans of Goodkind? What do you think of this collaboration?

Martin

Big fan of fantasy, I think goodkind has a thoughtful approach to his stories. Anyway I have been hoping for a long time for a miniseries and with some decent choreography, we could see some breath taking battle scenes, the descriptions were spine tingling, hope they stick with the detailed and adult nature of everything. I only hope it has a good audience because its going to take alot time and money to portray the saga to completion

October 01 2006 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

I was turned onto Goodkind's books about five years ago and think that a mini-series adaptation may be the best way to tackle the sheer volume of story in the series (of books). My one concern is that Raimi seems to have a penchant for humor from what I recall of his other work, and I hope that he steers to the serious end of the spectrum for this project and stays there throughout. Scenes such as tube-feeding a young boy molton lead just don't go hand-in-hand with the at-times whimsical nature that I recall from Hercules and Xena, at least in the later seasons. If he keeps the tone serious, though, he seems to have the skill to make this project work fabulously. (The character Zedd will give him an occassional outlet for some humor, so he could still inject a bit of fun.) Fantasy fans are VERY loyal, and if Raimi stays faithful to the seriousness of the book whichever network or production company is backing the project stands to make some serious advertising revenue.

September 22 2006 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Art

This is huge for people who have been reading Terry's work for years. I think that with raimi's great ability in directing, I believe he has the ability to capture the mental struggles as he has demonstrated with Spiderman. All and all, Im excited, the series will be a good way to possibly stem the tide until the final book is released

September 05 2006 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I am really worried about this. Part of what made these books great were the deep descriptions of peril the characters faced. Some of the happenings in the books are very depressing. I wonder how that sense of despair will be conveyed in a TV series. I truly hope it isnt as cheesey as Hercules, Xena and Buffy.

September 05 2006 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
enigma

well i can talk so much about Terry's books i've read four of them will start now the 5th i just love reading Goodkind's work and i think if there is film about sword of the truth it will ruin everything.... this are the kind of books which shouldn't be filmed.. you can read and imagine things in the way you wan't ...a movie ... it will disappoint at least half of the fans...you don't want this...so just leave the author continu his job and don't make a stuped film...

September 01 2006 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett

I started reading these books several years ago, when Naked Empire had just been released. When I go to the library to get a book the first thing I do is look at the NY Times list to see what everyone else is reading. At that time I saw Naked Empire at the top and it had the little (8) next to it so I went looking for the first one. When I got home with Wizard's First Rule, I was hooked for the long run on this series within a months time I was onto Naked Empire. I am very excited to see these put into a mini-series. I am glad too that there not going to make them into a movie because so much would go missing in the translation to film. The ONLY downside I can fore see in the making of this series is that they will most likely be on cable (i.e. HBO, etc.) due to their tremendous amounts of Sex and Violence. Which means im gonna have to get Digital Cable. All in all though I am very excited and can't wait to find out more about the Mini-series!

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it!

Brett

August 27 2006 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

This series of books started out good; in fact, the first four were fantastic, very different from the usual slate of fantasy novels. Then, it seemed like the author was just re-hashing the same old crap over and over again. It was as if he was writing the books simply for the money and because he couldn't come up with anything original. Hell, they're NY Times best-sellers so people must still like them. Me, I stopped reading after book five. It will be interesting to see how these TV films turn out because they are fool of sex and violence, which is part of what made them so original. Definately not Lord of the Rings. Raimi is a good choice to bring these books to television.

August 21 2006 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TheMatt

Can anyone point to a synopsis site for this book series. I read the first few but I eventually saw the signs of robertjordanitis occurring and stopped.

Now I'm worried that Martin has caught the Jordan flu...

August 21 2006 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

OH. Well that IS interesting. Some of it is a bit cheesy (mostly the descriptions of magic) and the BLATANT anti-communism theme combined with overlong moral rantings sometimes make the books a little annoying but believe it or not after that little rant I actually do love this series. I will be interested to see how this works out and who they cast. Seeing as large parts of the books are set outdoors in mountain ranges and forests it has the potential to be very pretty. But then there will undoubtedly have to be some heavy CG usage in other areas which is a turn off. On the whole though this is quite exciting.

August 21 2006 at 6:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

I like this. For those of you who haven't read the books (i've only read like 3 or 4 of them) it's a damn good series.

August 20 2006 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply