October 30, 2014

Got my Vans on, but not on MTV

by Adam Finley, posted Aug 21st 2006 3:32PM
vansRemember back in the day when Run-DMC rapped about their Adidas? Before long, anyone who wanted to be "down" was sporting a pair of them fly shoes and trying to sound cool by using words like "down" and "fly." Anyway, apparently that era is gone because a song by rap group The Pack, titled "Vans," has been shunned by MTV until the group edits their video and changes the name of their song. The network claims the video is too much like an advertisement and not enough like a video. Nevermind the fact that all videos are essentially commercials created to sell albums. It's all part of the package these days, and the only reason the likes of Britney Spears and Shakira are even on the radar. I placed the video after the jump for educational purposes. Oh yeah, and I totally used to have a pair of Vans like the skateboarder is wearing in the opening shot. Damn, I was stupid fresh.

Te king

i still got my vans on ......but they look like snekas.

i logve tis song dis is some ill stuff.
got my vans on but they look like snekas got my vans on but they look lke snekas.

yall dont know nothin bout vans,"cuz they look like snekas" lol

October 06 2006 at 8:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick

wow this is prob. the worst song i have ever heard...hahaha...got my vans on but they look like sneakers?!?!?!?!?!?!? MTV should have burned their video tape so it could never have been played anywhere else

August 22 2006 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bay area resident.

First off, this isn't a group from THE SOUTH. They are actually from the Bay Area. Second, they aren't well known outside of the Bay Area so why would MTV play them anyway? Since it took them YEARS to play E-40's videos.. why play the Wolfpack's videos from jump? MTV got nerve talking about a title of a SONG, they need to just stick to their stupid dating shows & reality couple series which only land them in divorce. The Bay Area is going to continue to make the music we like, we could careless if its on MTV because we've BEEN playing it. MTV is just LATE.

August 22 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curtillac

There is something terribly wrong with a group rapping about Vans, punk rock, and skateboarding. Since when did rappers skateboard and listen to punk rock, let alone wear Vans shoes? This song is a disgrace to music and the Vans Corporation. They might as well have been holding cans of Pepsi, eating bags of Dorito's chips, smoking a pack of Marlboro, and taking Advil for a headache, while walking into a WallMart to buy some Armorall to shine their rediculously huge rims. This is a sad excuse for a song and an even worse video. The rhymes sound like they were written by a third-grader on Ridolin with a lisp and hearing limited to one ear. MTV plays videos?! Yes, but only at the but crack of dawn and in between re-runs of whatever crappy reality TV show is popular at the time. MTV, change your name to RTV: Reality TV with occasional crappy videos that try and sell you stuff. MTV is the channel I watch when I want to see what is trendy and hip during any particular week. From the close that the hosts wear, the prizes that the reality kids win, to the celebrities to whom they brown-nose, MTV is one big commercial. The issue here is not whether "Vans" is too commercial-like. The really question you need to ask yourself is what happened to the world's talent and creativity? Our Mozart's, Einstein's, and Hemmingway's? And if you don't recognize their names, you've proven my point. We are in trouble because of our lack of talented role models, and it is truly the source of decay of our society as we know it.

August 22 2006 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mama Mitchell

Since when are VANS rappers shoes anyway? Why would anyone want to sing about a shoe anyway? I don't see skater boys rapping on their sticks about their VANS.

August 22 2006 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DrkSlayer

MTV crashed out around '95, I'm 25 and remember the vj's and video's. Everything in life revolve's around marketing, play the stupid video, I can change the channel if the tv's even on. The bling has ruined rap. Local radio stations don't even need to have a jockey just put one cd on repeat, press play, and force me to listen to classic rock because I actually haven't heard those songs in the last 5 mins.

August 22 2006 at 2:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beth Leverett

The writer of this article, Adam Finley needs to know how to spell correctly the words he uses when writing these articles.

Remember back in the day when Run-DMC wrapped about their Adidas?

Did Run-DMC "wrapped" like a present or "rapped" like a genre of music about their Adidas?

August 22 2006 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

Hey this comment is for "none". The Pack is not a southern rap group they are for Berkeley CA the Yay Area!!!! I'm from Oakland and I would love to see a group from my town blow up, it is a shame that MTV won't play the video. That's all that rapper's do, they advertise, wither it be for alcohol, cars, or fashion designers...MTV is full of crap!

August 22 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clyde Sunshine

I agree with Bubba. What is it with MTV? First they kill music, then they kill themselves.

August 22 2006 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mandi7882

I've seen the video already..on FUSE - You know, the channel that actually shows music videos?

MTV was a revolutionary concept at one time, now it's crap. Every executive in the high offices should get a grip and remember what the channel was created for.

August 22 2006 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply