April 20, 2014

Prison Break: Manhunt (season premiere)

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 21st 2006 10:03PM
prison break mug shots
(S02E01) Damn, I love when the fall season starts up again! And what makes it even sweeter is having things start with a show I'm a fan of, regardless of how much I seem to consistently bash it. Case in point -- I was really bothered by how this episode started out. It's as though everything we saw at the end of the first season was forgotten. The escapees were last seen running across an totally open field at night, with helicopters and multitudes of law enforcement hot on their heels. And now we open with the inmates running through the woods, in the daytime, with no choppers in sight. In fact, so few police were chasing the crew that they're able to get away by ducking around a passing train. Grrrr! How I wish to hate thee, Prison Break!

Another somewhat shocker here is how easily the good prison doctor Sara seems to be recovering, after what surely looked to be the end of her. Oh don't get me wrong -- I'm glad she's still around. I just like things put together with a little more sense I guess. Though I will say it's difficult to blame the producers for straying away from the storyline thus far, with an integral member of the cast not re-signing.

prison break veronica dead

Something I especially loved about this episode was how quickly and easily (and more importantly, surely permanently) did away with Veronica. If you've read any of my reviews of this show before, you know how little I could stand her character. She just did not work for me. Then again, where the hell are they going to go with that side of the story now? Did they off veronica as part of the whole Patricia Wettig issue, or was it planned all along?

T-Bag ... they've outdone themselves with this one. You'll get a good look at how evil he truly still is in next week's episode, as if this wasn't enough.

I also really liked William Fichtner as the head of the manhunt. I think his character will add some depth to the show, as we can already see he's got issues of his own to work out.

These shows need to find a better way of surprising us with some of these formulaic situations, like the garage sequences. Did anyone really think Bellick would open the door to the prisoners? Why bother with doing that to the viewers? We're not that dumb!

The message left to Sara from Michael makes me look forward to the rest of this series. If they can pull his promise off well, it'll make it all worth it.

Quote of the episode:
"The problem I find with being 'on a trail' is that, by definition, you'll always be behind your prey."

stephanie

wentwoth miller and dominic percell are so hot. THere bodys and the whole show just turnes me on.

August 12 2007 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richard

I havent even seen Manhunt yet :( i live in the UK and have to wait until January until i can see it but anyway from what ive heard the second series sounds wicked and i think that in the end Michael will out do Mahone i mean think about it he is in my opinion the main character and he wont get caught that easily.

October 30 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

the thriller kept me awake a whole night, i wished the end would be a success. but i realised the success depends on the side of the laws divide you stand

September 12 2006 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassandra

Can anyone tell me what the promise Michael made to Sara was? I missed the episode and this sounds like a crucial piece to their story...

August 28 2006 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sophie

Hey Folks,
I have a trivia quiz up on my website for the Manhunt. I was wondering if some people could go and check it out, and give me some feedback since its the first prison break quiz i've done and its my first website. Is it too easy? too hard? Feedback would be much appreciated :-) I'd like the opinions of some real fans.

Do the quiz then post your scores here if you like :-)
The quiz has 30 questions so see if you were paying attention :-)

August 26 2006 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I thought Jeff Perry did a fantastic job as Terrence Steadman, bringing life to a character we'd seen very little of until now. He came across as much more sympathetic than Billingsley. Still, the whole "no security guards at all, no alarm, just doors that only open from the outside" bit is "Prison Break"-ingly ridiculous.

I wasn't sorry to see Veronica go. I do think the new FBI guy (did they actually use his name?) is a good idea, to have someone smart coming after Michael & crew. Bellick is belligerent, but after that, he's not the sharpest card in the deck.

I'm glad to see them in civilian clothes--they all look better (especially Michael, more after his hair grows back a little). I am sorry to lose the prison as a setting. That place was a full-fledged character.

Overall, the show seems to have found a way to re-ground and re-invent itself (FBI guy, the new scenes in the credits, the new pre-commercial bumpers that are outdoors instead of in prison tunnels) while still keeping the spirit of Season 1. I'm glad it's back!

August 23 2006 at 11:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

Hope they don't forget about Haywire!

August 23 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicholas

Yeah, Mahone's brilliant deductions looked more like wild guesses, and yeah, no one thought Bellick was going to open the storage door and find the convicts, and of course the multiple narrow escapes were far too convenient and easy. But the part that stretched my suspension of disbelief to the limit is that Scofield's loft-style Chicago apartment with hardwood floors and a view of the river not only hasn't been rented in two months, but hasn't even had the tack holes in the wall filled yet.

August 23 2006 at 12:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Peck

I'm with you on this one Kieth. This show is so absurd in it's plot that it begs to be watched. I wrote almost the same kind of review over on my site. Here's to the rest of the season!

Aaron.

August 22 2006 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katerina

I liked how Mahone figured out what Scofield was up to. It makes it more interesting if Michael has someone who can match his witts otherwise he would have fooled everybody by now and gotten away.

August 22 2006 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply