November 25, 2014

Braff thinks this will be his last season on Scrubs

by Joel Keller, posted Aug 22nd 2006 10:25AM
Zach BraffDigital Spy is reporting that Scrubs star Zach Braff thinks his time on the NBC comedy is coming to an end. "My guess is that this will be my last season," he told Premiere magazine. "Whether or not they continue without me, I don't know. I have had this amazing run on the show and I love it and I'm so grateful, but I want to make movies full time."

Sigh. Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Braff his burgeoning writing and directing career; I enjoyed Garden State, and am looking forward to seeing how he and Bill Lawrence do a new version of Fletch. And I think he'll make a great romantic comedy lead. But since the show is told mostly through the thoughts of Braff's character J.D., it seems unlikely that the show would survive without him. I don't even want to see Lawrence make the attempt; he tried doing something like that when Michael J. Fox left Spin City, and the show became a shell of its former self. I guess six years was more than any Scrubs fan could have hoped for, but I hope that Braff reconsiders and rides the gravy train for an additional year or two.

Joshua Hughes

I wrote this long message and there was some kind of error and it's all been erased...so, ok...

1) Scrubs? The best show ever on television. What other show had the same mix of comedy and drama? Maybe M.A.S.H.? Scrubs is better.

2) McGinley needs his own show.

My original message boiled down too these two points, but was more witty, have a nice day.

October 01 2006 at 2:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

Garden State was one of my favourite movies, and I think Zach Braff will be good in whatever avenue he persues. However, I'd love for him to stay on Scrubs. It's the only tv show worth watching these days.

August 28 2006 at 2:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MIKE

Zach Braff your crazy, you need to stay on that show, it will suck without you.

August 24 2006 at 11:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Jones

Well, I don't think JD is the best character on Scrubs - it obviously wouldn't work without him.

If he manages to put out a decent movie before the end, maybe I'll care - otherwise he is just an arrogant diva with no talent in writing or directing.

Garden State was the biggest piece of crap ever, swearing and whining - how fun!

August 22 2006 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

Much as I like Michael J Fox, I think Spin City survived his loss far better than Scrubs could survive losing Braff.

August 22 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

NOOOOOOOOO, JD can't leave the show, he isn't ready for full time movies, he should at least try one more season of scrubs if they get picked up for a seventh season. The show won't live without him. and i won't live without Scrubs. why does zach braff want to kill me?

August 22 2006 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

I love Zach Braff, and if he does leave scrubs, I look forward to seeing him in other things.

However, I also love Scrubs soooo much. And while there ARE many strong characters that could POSSIBLY carry the show without JD, It just won't be the same.

Like when Topher Grace left That 70's Show, and they still did another season. The last season, while having a few funny moments here and there, was CRAP compared to the rest of the seasons.
Same with Spin City (as you said)
and The X-Files.

If they try to carry on without Zach Braff, I doubt the show will last after 1 season.

August 22 2006 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nerds

I had always assumed this would have been the last season of Scrubs anyways. With the uncertainty they had last year with being renewed, I didn't think they'd quite make it after 6. But who knows, it could always be a play by Braff to get another 0 added to his Scrubs contract. I for one hope he stays on and the show continues.

August 22 2006 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

I'm sorry but he is SO not ready for full time movies. Nothing I have seen/heard him in is any good.

August 22 2006 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply