September 20, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 8 Performances

by Deidre Woollard, posted Aug 23rd 2006 7:50AM
rockstar(S02E15) The song selection battle gives us a chance to see Dilana naked (nice abs) and Storm feeling angsty and sad until her magical Verizon phone makes it all okay. This week everyone gets a little more competitive. All of the real clunkers are gone but that doesn't mean that there aren't still a few shabby performances in the mix. Not that Dave Navarro and the Supernova guys would notice, tonight they seem to love everyone. Must be the calming influence of Gilby's dog Chopper.

Patrice gets to sing her original song. Her song is called Beautiful Thing. She certainly is a lot better when singing her own music. But as the boys note, she's a bit too peppy for them. Best bar band girl ever but it's long been time to send the girl back home to her real band.

Magni takes on Smells Like Teen Spirit. It's like he woke up a few weeks ago and finally started to start performing. And bonus points for acknowledging the rocking house band as he leaves the stage. Still, I'm hard pressed to imagine him on tour with these guys.

Oh crap, I actually like Ryan's original song. Not his singing as much as the overall sound of it. And of course, since Dave suggested to Magni that a guitar should be smashed onstage that's what Ryan does in his act. I find him annoying and vile but he seems to actually be talented. And perhaps his poser style is a good fit for this hodge-podge band anyway.

Storm sings Cryin' by Aerosmith. She's delicious to watch as usual and does a good job with this tricky song.

Dilana sings Every Breath You Take while wearing some very funky false eyelashes. Her voice is a little less raspy this week. Good performance but what a bad outfit. Did Zayra leave her wardrobe behind? And did she actually sing her own name during the song? She should probably get bottom three for that alone.

Toby sings Layla. I'm not quite sure what was going on here but I just wasn't feeling it even with the bonus view of his yummy torso.

Lukas takes on the Killers singing All These Things That I've Done. He's very much a Brandon Flowers type. A makeup-friendly, prancy, fancy egotist. If he had nailed it this would have rocked instead his voice just flat out fails during this song. It's sadly a bit wince-worthy.

The bottom three are Patrice, Storm and Toby. Swap out Storm for my usual fave Lukas and you've got my bottom three.

Laukie

ok, here we go again, can anyone really SING??? all this screaming and prancing on stage... its a wonder this show is still on, it is getting really horrible and guess who is going to get the gig...Lucas!, why bother putting us through all this BS, week after week, you guys already had the pick from the begining..so pretentious

August 31 2006 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I have been watching the show since day one. I enjoy when supernova picks a person and they do a new song.So far I have liked every song until tonight. I am sorry but I don't think Lukas did the song Justice. If you could do the song at the last show with the winner I know it will sound much better.

August 30 2006 at 8:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annonomous Toby Fan

I am officially hooked to Rockstar Supernova...I loved Rockstar INXS but this one is sssooo much better..Tobys performances are great..Lukas sounds just like the lead from the Killers..and how smokin' is Tommy Lee???

August 28 2006 at 5:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey

Does anyone have a video link to Toby's performance with Supernova.... lost our power for 15 minutes and missed it!!!

August 27 2006 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorsey

Lukas has been doing the same thing every week now. I thought he did a really good job the first few weeks, but then I started to realize he has no diversity. Time for him to go.

Patrice actually impressed me some last night as did Ryan, two people I usually don't care for.

Dilana, last night, was.... I couldn't stop looking at those horrid eyelashes. I hardly paid attention to the song.

I tend to usually like Magni and Toby. And my 1 has been since the start, Storm. I liked her performance last night but I wasn't overly impressed by it. And also, do you really think she had a choice? I'm sure she was told to say that. Got to put that extra advertising in, so while I did feel it was cheesey, I didn't fault her either.

August 23 2006 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEANNE WEDDLE

SUPER NOVA WILL NEVER CHOOSE A FEMALE----I AM FOR RYAN OR LUCUS

ROCK AND ROLL YOU GUYS

August 23 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEANNE WEDDLE

SUPER NOVA WILL NEVER CHOOSE A FEMALE----I AM FOR RYAN OR LUCUS

ROCK AND ROLL YOU GUYS

August 23 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

yea normally i hate ryan, but he's talent is coming thru, he better keep it up or else.

lukas's performance was a bit of a let down, seems he can only sing certain types of songs.

dilana is really getting on my nerves, i just cant stand her.

toby is acutally pretty good, he knows how to get the crowd going, he seems a perfect fit for this motley crue, haha pun intended.

patrice, storm, magni ----- PLS QUIT ALREADY,U BOZOS DONT STAND A CHANCE.

August 23 2006 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JR

Not a fan of Ryan but... he's been doing ok these past few weeks and his original song tonight - KILLER! Got to hand it to him tonight he rocked.

My money is still on Dilana but I thought tonight she sucked. Visually she was horrid. I mean, those eye-lashes... come on. Ridiculous.

Storm lost me tonight the minute she blurted out "Verizon". Gimme a break. She still hasn't had that killer moment since that night she did the pseudo stage-dive.

August 23 2006 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply