July 31, 2014

Blade: Angels and Demons

by Michael Canfield, posted Aug 24th 2006 8:45AM
Blade(S01E09) Krista goes off drinking out of grief for her mother (that cancer cure attempt really didn't work out all that well last week) leaving Krista more isolated than ever. Well, not quite solo, as visions of her dead relatives show up to haunt her. A friend of Shen's show up at the Bladecave and delivers a lot of exposition to bring us up to speed on the real goal of Marcus's Aurora experiments -- to wipe out the elitist purebloods.

Shen can't help but see the irony of discovering that now Blade and Marcus are on the same side on one issue at least. They both want the purebloods done away with.

Vampires can get drunk, we discover. Krista attacks Marcus while in a drunken rage -- not exactly Jill Wagner's best acted scene in the series, by the way. Once Marcus gets Krista chained up so he can talk rationally to her, he goes on and on about the special bond they will always share, as he is the one who turned her. The bond is stronger than anything, says Marcus, even hate. Here's yet another example of Krista being a more compelling character in the series than its titular character Blade. Krista is the one torn between two worlds, the one whose ultimate fate is still up in the air. As Marcus says, Krista may want to kill him, but she can never kill the part of him that is now inside her forever. This is followed by a sepia-toned flashback to Marcus pre-immortality, in happier times. Starts out very reminiscent of Angel and/or Spike whedonverse flashbacks. Ah, whaddaya gonna do. But his past is pretty brutal, and explains why Marcus hates the purebloods so much.

While that's going on, Blade and Shen (remember them?) break into Cthon to find out what's happened to Krista, plant some spycams, and crack-wise back and forth at each other. Agent Collins, who has almost as much screen time as Blade it seems, (i.e. -- not much) goes rogue and then finds an ally -- and now stands only one degree of separation away from Blade.

After all the flashbacking, Marcus gets the revenge he's waited a hundred years for and becomes a lot more sympathetic to Krista. In fact, she gets so sympathetic to him, that they are too occupied to notice that Chase gets kidnapped by the pureblood kid's big Lurch-like minion. Blade shows up just in time to spy Krista and Marcus taking that shared-bond thing to the next level. Poor daywalker, always outside looking in.

cliff sullivan

This is an awesome show! I hope Marcus and Chase doesn't die! Blade is great, but you can't help but like the Vamps!

September 08 2006 at 1:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Adam

Blade's definately the weakest part of the show, but that' ok. So how long until Marcus's wife shows up as vamp?

August 29 2006 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mack Swift

Another great episode. I have to agree, I'm hooked and all the more curious on how it's first season will end. A cliffhanger? An ending that leaves it open to a season 2? Who know, but this show is definetly addicting.

For all the player haters who say the B-Man just ain't getting the screen time; look at it this way. They have to flesh out Blade's universe somehow and set up the TV series with various backgrounds and threads and what nots.

And then there's hottie Krista. Wow, wow, and more wow!

August 25 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

I am hooked, so now that krista is havin freaky vampire sex with marcus, she will turn on blade. will blade ash her ass? can't wait to see the rest of the season. although blade should stay longer with the punching bag so next time he fights he it won't look like square dancing. overall i'm hooked

August 24 2006 at 4:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DARKK

This show sucks. The show could never really hold a candle to the movies. Sticky Sucks as Blade. I would have gotten another actor if there really is one. Let's be honest Wesley Snipes didn't just play Blade...he was BLADE. He made the character close to him and his style. Maybe the producers should have worked with him to find a good match to succeed him but not replace him.

August 24 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron

I still can't believe this show hasn't cracked the cable top 10 most watched for the week. These fights scenes are way better than WWE ;)

Seriously, the show continues to get better and better.

August 24 2006 at 10:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

When I first watched this show-It seemed they were all over acting-but now-watch out-I am hooked! I love this show-except Chase-She should have not come back from being burned-I don't know if it is her accent or her wig-something just bothers me-when she got knocked out by the Lurch character-I was like hit her again--LOL-This show is great and I love Marcus! Also the vampire fighting seens are great!

August 24 2006 at 9:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J Boyd

OK, I tried to hate this show, I did. The acting is terrible, the writing isn't all that great, and "Sticky" just made the cut because he was the actor that sounded the most like Wesley Snipes. But all that aside...I'M HOOKED. Love it, can't get enough, I DVR it every week and watch it twice. It's Satan's prime time soap opera, and I have to tune in every week to see what stupid thing is Krista going to do this week?

Let's see... she shows up at the Cthon function and gets turned by Marcus, then she turns Boone accidently and lets him wreak havoc across the country, THEN she turns her cancer-riddled mother and lets her escape, and now she's doing the vampire nasty with MArcus. When is Blade going to slap this girl upside the head and straighten her out?

I have to say though, the character that intrigues me the most is Agent Collins. Although we the audience know what's going on, it is really interesting to watch Collins peel back the layers from the rotting core of Cthon each week. His scene with his captain was great, discovering his friend has been a Cthon familiar all along. Can't wait till he actually meets up with Blade.

Blade is becoming a little like the Austin Powers movies-- you don't the movie for Austin Powers, you see it for Dr. Evil. The House of Cthon is just way too much fun to play in.

August 24 2006 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply