July 24, 2014

Will Stargate SG-1 live on?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 24th 2006 1:36PM

Stargate SG-1The Sci-Fi Channel confirmed the other day that Stargate SG-1 has been canceled. But now comes word that MGM and producers are hoping that another network picks up the show. Ratings have dropped, but the show still gets around 2 million viewers a week.

MGM spokesman Jeff Pryor: "We do have plans. This is not the end of the Stargate franchise. This is just the end of [Stargate SG-1] on the Sci-Fi Channel."

But that quote just confuses me, because saying it's not the end of the Stargate "franchise" makes it sound like they might make a third Stargate show.

[via TV Tattle]

Aaron Neary

I Just phoned MARK STERN on this number

(from the uk) 001 818 777-1000

and once being connected to his office his secretary answered, i think my accent may have startled her a bit haha

Secretary - "Hello Mark Sterns office"

Me - "Alrite, is Mark there please"

Secretary - "im sorry what?"

Me - "id like to speak to Mr Stern please"

Secretary - "Stan?" (stupid cow)

Me - "No Stern, MARK STERN"

Secretary - "Oh! im sorry ofcourse, may I ask whos calling please?"

Me - "Yes im the head of the Stargate SG-1 fanbase in the United Kingdom" (obviously lying)

Secrety - "Oh, im sorry I think hes on a call at the moment" (obviously lying)

Me - "Oh, thats convineant"

Secretary - "May I take a message?"

Me - "No thats OK i'll try again"

Secretary "ok"

Me - "100 more times today at least"

Secretary "WHAT?!"

I hang up the phone

September 20 2006 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Neary

Just an update, it seems that not only did Sky one have a stargate day after season 7 but they just announced (literally an hour after me typing my message!!! creepy!!!) That this weekend, not long before the start of season 10, they are holding a "BEST OF STARGATE WEEKEND" on Sky one, showing all the best eps from all 9 seasons, c'mon thats how much we love stargate in this conutry! Sky magazine even interviewed the cast and crew last year on a 4 page spread!!!! How i wish id kept that so i could post it too MARK STERN and say "what you talking about? bad ratings? your an idiot!"

September 20 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Stargate SG-1 is the Seven Networks (In Australia) 3rd most popular show and rakes in Many viewers every week!!
Stargate is by far the most watched Sci-fi show in Australia, im sure Seven network, and the UK's Sky network, along with many other tv networks around the world, are appauled with sci-fi's decision!

WHY MUST YOU YANKS CONTROL ALL OUR TV!!!!!!

Wake up to the rest of this planet we call Earth, theres more than just americans living here and outside the US, WE LOVE SG-1!!! C'mon read the international ratings for a change Sci-fi and realise you'r making a huge mistake!!!!!

(Americas greatest gifts to Earth....which in all honesty is like a seperate world as you yanks barley take note of anything beyond your borders
1. The Simpsons
2. Family Guy
3. STARGATE SG-1
4. Stargate Atlantis
5. Futurama)

September 18 2006 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aaron Neary

Stargate SG-1 may have lost viewers in the US, however in the UK and in Australia it is more popular than ever and increasing in viewers, season 9 was voted the best so far and in a recent Trekkies vs Gaters competition Stargate won by a landslide.

SG-1 is aired twice a day on Sky one and 2 different episodes twice a day on sky two (though usually repeats from the previous days sky one episodes)
and after season 7 sky one even held a "Stargate day"

On an international level SG-1 could go so much further and if no US tv channels continue season 11 and beyond why doesnt MGM seek Canadian, Australian or European networks?

To cut off the Ori storyline so soon would be tragic and if there is sadley no more seasons of SG-1 then a 6 part mini-series to sort out the ori stroyline would certainly be a must, or possibly a 2nd Stargate movie?
lets face it the Ori are a much better enemy than the Goa'uld anyway!!

Personally I feel Sci-fi have pulled a FOX, FOX made a massive mistake cancelling Family Guy (although they realised this and re-launched the show.......twice!) and then made another big mistake cancelling Futurama!

I only wish American TV companies would stop being short sighted and look beyond the ratings from the US alone, SG-1 is, internationally, one of the most popular TV shows and THE single most watched sci-fi (even more watched than Star trek, Doctor Who and farscape)and other countries (such as Britain with Doctor Who) often rely on international support for their tv shows, Doctor Who is largley funded by The Canadian Broadcast Coperation (CBC) Despite being a Welsh TV program.

SG-1, Sci-fi and American TV in general could learn from this example

September 18 2006 at 3:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

The SCI-FI Channel is becoming a joke. Talk of the name changing to Surge TV and just the attitude of the powers that run it.
NBC has even went as far as to make a joke of its SG1 fans by putting on this. With laughter in the background and making us look like a bunch of nuts. It is clear that not only the SCI-fi Channel, But NBC as well do not respect us.
This page is from http://savestargatesg1.com/news/?p=283
Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage shout-out!
September 9th, 2006 by Alison
The Save Stargate SG-1 campaign's efforts to raise awareness among offline fans received a tremendous boost on the Friday 8 September edition of NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brien.

In his Recliner of Rage segment, Pierre Bernard [pictured] outed SCI FI Channel executive MARK STERN as the man responsible for cancelling Stargate SG-1. Ironically, this shout-out to the fans fighting to save SG1 came from an NBC employee on an NBC chat show: NBC Universal is the parent company of SCI FI Channel, which in turn employs Mark Stern!

MINDER EDIT: Watch the video here

Graphic designer Pierre Bernard is famous for his 'Recliner of Rage' sketches, in which he's "comfortable and furious." In a previous skit, Pierre humorously ranted about the return of Daniel Jackson to the show and made such a hit with Stargate's fans and the show's producers, he was invited to make a cameo appearance on the show in Season 7, and also hosted one of SCI FI Channel's Lowdown specials.

Our friends at Alteran Ancients.com launched a Conan O'Brien/Pierre Bernard write-in early on in the campaign, which we subsequently advocated here at SaveStargateSG1.com as one of our letter writing tracks. To the delight of all those who wrote to Conan and Pierre, in last night's Recliner of Rage, Pierre tackled the cancellation of Stargate SG-1!

Our sincere congratulations to Alteran Ancients.com for this wonderful payoff to the write-in efforts of Stargate's fans.

Pierre Bernard's Recliner of Rage segment:

"Recently I've been spending even more time than usual online. Partly because I've been collecting anime action figures by Monsieur-Bome on eBay, but mostly because of all the opinions I've been posting in the SG1 newsgroup on Yahoo.

Stargate is by far my favourite TV show, so you can imagine how stunned I was when I discovered on August 19th at 10.23am that SCI FI network was cancelling it.

The news was so devastating that I became light-headed and I prayed that it was all just a horrible night's dream. I even took one of the vicodin's I had been prescribed after my recent kidney stone surgery, but even that couldn't ease my pain.

I soon found out that a SCI FI Channel executive named MARK STERN was largely responsible for cancelling Stargate. He immediately went to the top of my enemies list.

You see, Stargate SG-1 had been my favourite television show. It also served as the crown jewel in my Friday night SCI FI Channel lineup, which also included Stargate Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica.

The glorious lineup was made all the more compelling by the presence of actresses Amanda Tapping, Grace Park, Rachel Luttrell, who together form my holy trinity of fantasy females.

Now my Friday night SCI FI fantasy threesome has been completely destroyed.

Bottom line, America! Mark Stern should reverse his decision on cancelling Stargate SG-1 so I can continue to enjoy my Friday night fantasy threesome!"

Write Mark Stern!

Mark Stern is SCI FI Channel's Excutive Vice President for Original Programming and one of our two main SCI FI targets for letters, calls and faxes, along with his boss Bonnie Hammer [President, SCI FI and USA networks]. Now we know he is the one responsible for cancelling Stargate SG-1.

He's also responsible for this statement to the press, August 26th: "There is not going to be [an 11th season] on U.S. television," Stern said flatly. "Our contract with MGM prohibits it."

Mark Stern is the executive who took our show from us. Let's focus our lobbying to rescind the cancellation squarely on him.

Mark Stern, Executive Vice President Original Programming
NBC Universal | Sci Fi Channel
100 Universa

September 10 2006 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ryan Lewis

As already iterated, great characters, great long history, great show. The problem is they finally defeat their long battled enemy, only to be replaced with another enemy that is exactly the same..

Seriously consider the real differences between fighting the goul'd and the Ori. There is no difference other than the actual type of powers.

The writers are continuing to give SG-1 an avenue for victory, I don't know about you guys but I don't give them my bet of success against an enemy which has the full understanding of an infinite universe. They should have brought in more of the ancients into the fight. Look the episodes with Orlin was one of the best they had in this season!

It is clear why ratings have dropped, people were excited that after 9 years of the same ol, same ol, that the new stuff would be new. It's not. Either the writers need to pick up the pieces and fix things, or SG-1 should be cancelled and they can concentrate on Atlantis, which looks much much more promising.

September 09 2006 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Shepherd

SG-1 has been for at least 5 years, (I caught up on reruns)and will probably always be, my favorite all-time show. My favorites are with Anderson and I really, really hope another network will pick it up(still with guest appearance with RDA??). I will watch it wherever it goes. Man do I hope somebody else picks it up. Good shows are really hard to find!

September 08 2006 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carol dickau

I REALLY ENJOYED WATCHING STARGATE SG-1.. BUT SINCE O'NEILL IS GONE, FOR AWHILE, IT SHOULDN'T BE CALLED SG-1.. IT SHOULD BE CALLED JUST STARGATE... SG-1 MAKES UP OF O'NEILL, TEAL'C, DANIEL JACKSON, AN SAM CARTER ONLY...YOU TELL ME???!!! THANKS...

September 08 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I also like to comment about the Wrestling. What is up with that? Please, you cancel a good show for some buff people in speedos beating up other people. Sounds like fun, NOT. What does it have to do with SciFi anyway? I don't see these people doing anything Scientific. To be perfectly honest I think they should get rid of Wrestling on TV completely. It's fake anyway. Plus it sends the wrong message to our younger viewers. At least Stargate gives kids and many other people like myself dreams to make our own SciFi fantasies. What message does wrestling give? Become buff so you can beat people? I wish the world would take that filth off TV. SciFi strenghtens our imaginations making more and more interesting stories. How is Wrestling creative? I'll tell ya, it isn't. Keep Stargate and scrap the Wrestling.

September 08 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I think Stargate SG-1 should stay on. If not SciFi then some other network. Stargate is a really excellent show I have been watching it for 10 years and each show has never let me down. I think the new characters in SG-1 will bring the show forward. The new villain, the Ori are really cool. They seem very hard to beat but SG-1 will come through, like they did with the ascended Anubus. But I wouldn't like to see this season ending with no conclusion to the fight with the Ori. I think it would be wrong to end the Stargate show leaving all of us true fans hanging never knowing what would happen. I don't like the idea of a movie because most people don't like really long movies like 3 hours long, but I do. If they do the movie it would probably be a lousy 1 and a half hour long. If they do make a movie I hope it is longer than 1 and a half hour. Make it 3 hours that would be awesome. Making anouther spin off would be cool I defiantly would watch that. I always thought that this Stargate show and Atlantis could be like the next Star Treck and live on for like anouther 10 years or so. I hope everything works out, and that Stargate will live on in season 11 and more.

September 08 2006 at 11:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply