April 18, 2014

Psych: Shawn vs. The Red Phantom

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 26th 2006 12:04AM
psych(S01E08) You've gotta love George Takei in being such a great sport. I knew from the previews last week that this would be a good episode, and I'm glad I was right. If comic book conventions aren't a great source of comedy scenarios, I'm not sure where else would be better.

I was actually glad to see Lassiter in a different situation this time, as his distaste for Shawn sometimes gets to me. It's sort of like Columbo -- he solves all these cases, near every time, and still there's that one guy who never trusts him nor likes him. When will they ever learn?

The opening scenes with Shawn and his dad sometimes bug me, though this time not so much. Usually Shawn's father will completely trash Shawn's childhood fun and without much purpose. At least this time he had at least a hint of a good message to give, though maybe it was better left said once Shawn got older. Still, you've got to love those scenes, and Shawn's dad is someone you just love to hate.

Shawn and Gus's relationship keeps getting better. Just when I think Gus might be so completely dull, it's exactly that dull part of him that makes his relationship with Shawn work in this show. First a spelling bee, now a comic convention -- of course he loves this stuff! That's our Magichead, for you.

One aspect that sometimes gets to me on this show is Shawn's antics when he's "seeing" something. The flailing arms, the crazy pointing and yelling. It all seems overkill, and sometimes I cringe watching him perform. This episode seemed a little better in that respect, and I hope whatever they did this time around carries over into next season.

Takei's cameo was brilliant. You've gotta love someone who's not afraid of making fun of themself. Gus's "Chekov" comment and Takei's reaction was simply classic.

It'll be interesting to see what involvement the Chief will now have on assignments now that she's no longer pregnant. I still think she knows he's not psychic at all and is maybe doing a favor for his father. Hmm ... Imagine if we find out later that Shawn's father is actually the father of that child? Could that be?

If this show hadn't been picked up for further episodes, I might be writing the series finale right now. Luckily we'll be treated to more episodes, but we'll have to wait until January, just as Shawn told Chief Vick. No doubt they happily shot that scene once the show was renewed.

Quote of the episode:
Juliet: "His name is Malone Breyfogle."
Shawn: "Malone Breyfogle!? I'll tell you this much -- the kid's been lifted up by his underwear more than once."

mj green

So Sulu!! USA has come up with some good shows, and Psych is right there with the best. A little goofy, but lighthearted and fun to watch.

September 08 2006 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Definitely liked this episode. Though my favorite character was none other than George Takei. I never saw him on star trek, a little young, except when watching movies with my dad. I have to say, I watch the show regularly, though never previews. Takei was promoting this show on some Sirius stations and was a great promoter as well, talking about how great his episode was, though making sure to say that he was acting as someone else with the same name.
Back to the actual episode. I really enjoyed it. I have to agree with above comments that Lassiter was annoying me with his disbelief and Shawn was annoying me with his theatrics. I hope USA takes these ideas into account while working on January

August 31 2006 at 10:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

I like the light banter on this show. It's a perfect compliment to Monk. Dule Hill was one of my favorite actors on West Wing and I just get a kick out of seeing him on this show. Plus they have been slowly developing Gus and getting him more into the "psych" business. This had to be one of the better episode of the first season. I can't wait for Jan.

August 28 2006 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

okay everyone!!!!

Show of hands...

Who wants Juliet and Shawn together???

I really think they would be a cute couple after he was flirting with her in the begining of this episode

August 28 2006 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

You guys are full of info! I'm not a big comic fan but all these Batman references are pretty neat!

August 28 2006 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

If you see grammar or spelling errors, do EVERYONE a favor and use the links under the "RESOURCES" area in the middle column to the right (like "Problems?" or "Corrections?") If you use the comment forms to publicly correct grammar and spelling (and in Urbey's case, I will tell you that I can see all comments he's made, and they are ALL related to grammar and spelling) it makes everyone look like a complete tool, including the commenter.

August 27 2006 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I love this show and hope it continues to have 2 half-seasons. Shows with limited numbers of episodes-per-season really benefit from that format.

And Keith, give Urbey a break. You guys are basically journalists. Even though you don't have real editors, you are paid from your writing. It should make grammatical sense, and when a commenter notifies you of a mistake (everyone makes them) you should at least consider fixing the error.

Urbey was being unnecessarily sarcastic, though.

August 27 2006 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

A show like this needs a straight man for Shawns antics and Gus plays him perfectly in my book. I love the last scene when the captain says she will be at work the next day and Shawn tells her to take her time. To come back in January. A nice nod to when the show comes back on again.

August 27 2006 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Urbey -- Looking back at your previous comments, it seems you have it out for TV Squad, only offering to publicly bash us for small mistakes. Post a comment if you've got something constructive to offer, and leave the grammar naziness to an email form to us.

August 27 2006 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urbey

Is the author of this post saying George Takei has multiple personality disorder? Apparently, he is saying that since he says, "You've gotta love someone who's not afraid of making fun of themselves." Exactly how many selves are you saying are in George Takei's head?

August 27 2006 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply