July 31, 2014

Many people are asking: what's wrong with NBC?

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 28th 2006 1:40PM

EmmyI'm not the most sensitive guy in the world, but even I cringed a bit when Conan O'Brien's opening sketch featured the Emmy host in a plane crash, on the very same day 49 people died in a plane crash in Kentucky. Sure, the bit was probably taped days ago, but couldn't they have edited that scene out and had a regular opening? They probably could have just opened with Conan already on the island, meeting Hurley.

TV station owners and other officials in Kentucky weren't too happy with it either, but it was a live telecast and they didn't know about it beforehand. Dateline Hollywood gives their take on the skit and a video.

What do you think?

[via TV Tattle]

addictedtorealitytv

It was a Parody of a tv show...not a depiction of anything real. Man if people are going to freak out over everything maybe they should just freaking cancel tv forever and the movies too, and the internet, cause you know you don't want anyone reading some insensitive blog. And just so you know..sometimes actually laughing in the wake of tragedy is the first step to healing.

August 29 2006 at 11:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lora

I hope that Kentucky news anchor is proud of himself, using something as inane, in the grand scheme of things, as the EMMYS to create a controversy in the middle of people's very real and very traumatic grief. Because really, the only person stirring up trouble is him.

August 29 2006 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kesey

It's amazing, a plane crashes and all of a sudden there's some sort of politically correct grace period before you can broaddcast one in a spoof, tv show, movie trailer...

It's fiction and it's not like they were downplaying the seriousness of what happened in KY.

August 29 2006 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I'm torn. I spent most of the day watching local (Louisville, KY) footage of the crash. I think that they could have cut out the plane crash, (or at least cut out the shots of the plane violently descending) and not lost a thing with the rest of the skit. I honestly think they'd have been smart to remove it. But I cannot deny the whole sequence was darn funny, and had the crash never happened, I'd have not given a second thought to the fact that the show was making a joke out of a plane crash.

August 28 2006 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

So, were all the "outraged" people the dozen-or-so people who never saw "Lost"? Because you just need to have seen COMMERCIALS for the show to have reckognized it as a blatant parody of the island drama, for two reasons:

A) The scene is set on a PLANE. What other TV show continues to uses parts of a wrecked plane as a integral part of their set? Lost.
B) It's the freaking EMMY's. They lampoon TV shows in the opening sketch, not current events. That's the Daily Show's job.

I'm willing to bet a nickel that half the people who are "outraged" have just seen the web video of the plane scene, without seeing the island part, the Office knockoff, or the other parodies that followed. Most probably didn't even watch the Emmy's, but saw the bright red lettering on the Drudge Report and decided that they should be outraged as well.

August 28 2006 at 8:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
panasianbiz

I didn't make the connection between the opening skit and the Kentucky plane crash either. In fact, it only came up when I started reading blogs by people condemning the decision to go ahead with the skit. I don't think NBC was being insensitive at all, and like another poster said, I doubt anyone who was personally affected by the recent tragedy was watching the Emmys.

August 28 2006 at 8:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

Most people may not have made a connection to the actual crash but those of us in Lexington certainly did. The NBC station that showed the awards had just completed 12 hours of coverage of the crash when it switched to the awards show. I can understand not pulling the skit from the show but would it have been too much trouble for NBC to alert it's Lexington affiliate and let them possibily swithc over to the awards show a minute or two late? And yes, I may be over sensitive, but I did spend yesterday finding out that a close friend had burned to death in that plane crash.

August 28 2006 at 7:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brody

I actually live in Lexington, and while watching the opening, I was cringing, despite the fact I found it very funny.

August 28 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

I can't believe some people connected these two things. This is life. Bad things happen. This skit was probably written days or weeks ago. I thought it was a good send-up of LOST(love LOST). Besides, barely anyone watches the EMMYS anyway. The only people that do are TV people.
As an earlier post stated, people die in car crashes everyday. We all see it in the local/national 5 PM, 5:30 PM, 6:00 PM news shows EVERYDAY. Is the network gonna tinker w/ its shows just because some content is related to the days events. No. And it shouldn't. It's not insensitivity. It's reality.

August 28 2006 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

It should be noted that, by the applause I heard at the show, the audience there didn't think anything of it, although Conan may have said something before the show started.

I don't know; I was cognizant of it, I guess, but I knew Conan's intention was to be funny, and I trusted him to see where this was going. It would be different if, say, someone was running a dramatic movie about a plane going down last night, but it wasn't. Who knows; maybe I'm just jaded.

August 28 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply