October 21, 2014

Pirates of the Caribbean was on last night? Gar!

by Anna Johns, posted Aug 28th 2006 8:33PM
johnny deppSilly me. Instead of watching Johnny Depp channel Keith Richards play 'Captain Jack Sparrow' in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, I watched celebrities make terrible jokes and thank people I've never heard of. I forgot that, in rumored retaliation for not nominating Lost or Desperate Housewives for Emmys, ABC aired that pirate movie. The good one.

It appears I'm not the only one who forgot about the Pirates. Last night's Emmy telecast averaged 16.1 million viewers, a 14% slip from last year, but still the highest-rated program on television at that time. Pirates averaged about 10 million viewers.

JD

Brenda M. , Well aren't you just SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE REST OF US.!!! BITCH!

August 29 2006 at 10:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brenda

I was utilizing my time better than anyone here: Watching DEADWOOD was better than the egocentric, over-rated EMMY's. And as far as PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN is concerned ... Seen IT...Done That! Why would I want to put myself through endless commercial interruptions like the stupid EMMY'S!?

August 29 2006 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

Edgar, I second that. That's why I watched it.

August 28 2006 at 11:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathy janeke

I watch the Pirates because I don't like any of the stars on the Emmy, but the only one that I like is CSI Las Vegas.

August 28 2006 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edgar

I saw it because the HD presentation was absolutely stunning, it ranked right up there with the 2001: A Space Odyssey showing on HDnet Movies.

August 28 2006 at 9:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I was switching between Pirates/Attack of the Clones/Apollo 13.

Aaarrrghh, space Jedi!

August 28 2006 at 9:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

Pirates was just in theaters three years ago, then on premium channels, pay per view, DVD, cable, and now network TV. Anyone who likes the film has probably seen it at least twice and probably more. That such an oversaturated (but fun movie. I have seen it three times and own it myself) averaged ten million viewers is impressive.

August 28 2006 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lacey

lol, I flipped back and forth between The Emmys, Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park 3, and Star Wars Episode 2 (all 3 of the latter I own on DVD)

And in responce to Gordon, lol, many of us are too lazy to get up and put in a dvd, so we settle for what's on TV

August 28 2006 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

why the hell would anyone want to watch this on network TV when it is available on DVD without commercials ...

?!?