November 24, 2014

Prison Break: Otis

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 28th 2006 10:51PM
prison break otis
(S02E02) So now the escapees are splitting up even more, which is actually a good thing for us viewers, since there's a lot more potential for better stories along the way. And once again, the writers get cutely creative when it comes to naming their episodes.

I forgot to mention last week that I'm glad someone finally mentioned how idiotic it is that C-Note is looking to see his family and Sucre wants to see his girlfriend. That bugged me all last season, and I'm glad Abruzzi was the one to point it out to everyone.

I'm not sure yet what to think about the situation with T-Bag. I'd love for that hand of his to be a botched job, and it just lays on his wrist like a dead piece of meat, nonworking. Only he can't part with it, and it just eventually falls off in a slump. But we all know somehow the vet was successful in amazing neurosurgery, and his hand will work as good as new by the middle of the season. I'll just have to push that aspect off into the suspension of disbelief area of my brain like I do with a lot of this show already.

How great was it that the vet gave T-Bag two aspirin after getting major surgery? I almost started to wonder if maybe the doctor faked his death on T-Bag by telling him the wrong stuff to administer, though I somehow doubt he's that good an actor.

I'm liking Tweener's part of the story much more than last season. He seems to be able to handle himself quite well, and he's apt to get to that hidden money quicker than the rest of them.

It was great to see Bellick get his, and in the best way for the show. It was pretty shocking that he was willing to just off himself in the end, though obviously that reward money was enough to make him an even more dangerous person than he was in Fox River. And the fact that Pope took the fall with him was shocking itself

I still really like the character of agent Mahone and think he adds something to the show that was lacking last season -- someone who's a near match for Michael's wits.

With Pope pissed and Bellick's raging lunacy toward Michael, how the hell can everything be "made right" as Micharel put it in last week's mysterious note?

Quote of the episode:
T-Bag: "I'll tell ya something that I know is true. The Indians here -- the tomahawk variety -- some of them believe -- well, used to believe before most of them were slaughtered -- that when a warriors kills another in battle, he absorbs that fallen warrior's spirit. So this isn't the end for you, doc. You're with me now."

Malik

Scott H,
You must be a teacher...

August 31 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

A good episode! Looks like they're managing to keep up the show's intensity. That may be a hard thing to continue outside the prison walls.

Besides the fact that he's smart, one reason I like Mahone is that he's not connected at all with "the conspiracy". Last year it seemed like everyone connected to the government was immediately a bad guy and up to no good. He actually seems outside the loop. For all we know, they'll try to get to him (hmmm, where's Kellerman these days?) and he'll flip and decide to let Michael & Lincoln go when he finds out what's going on.

Bellick was destined to go on a crazed manhunt as soon as he was brought out from under that floor in the break shack. This just gives them a way to realistically keep him in the cast, and on the trail, without that pesky prison job filling up all his time. Although considering this show's history of offing characters, I was buying it that he was going to kill himself, right up until his mother started talking from the other room.

Yeah, what is it with the baseball hat and the suit? And Lincoln (the one who presumably was ALL OVER the papers when he was arrested & convicted of shooting the VP's brother) walking around with no disguise at all? How dumb are they?

I don't think that Tweener is handling himself well. He was walking around without even a hat or a hood at the beginning of the show, and he still puts off an awkward, I'm-a-psycho vibe even with the Utah girl.

As far as T-Bag's hand goes, if it ever turns out to be more than a dead hunk of flesh, then the writers are completely abandoning any attempt at believability.

Anyone notice the dumb grammar error in the newspaper headline? It said "Burrow's" as a possessive (for his son, I think? I can't remember the context) when it should've been "Burrows's".

August 30 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tucker

Keith and Chris: did you completely miss the part where Tweener walked out with a shaved head and dumped a pair of scissors, etc. into the trash can at the bus depot? I thought they made it pretty obvious - in fact, I was thinking "if I saw a dude walk up THAT sketchily and drop something in the trash at a bus station, I'd call security." Hit your TiVos, gents.

August 30 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott mclendon

Hand reattached by a vet,no less,although T Bag is a mad dog.

August 30 2006 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hafif

What's up with Michaels strange blue hat? noone wears a suit and a baseball hat together. it doesn't help him blend in at all. Plus how could linc ever not wear his sunglasses?

August 30 2006 at 3:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caitlin

I'm willing to accept T-Bag's hand for the time being, because (as far as I could tell) it wasn't functional; he never moved his fingers. Sure, it'll probably heal up in two episodes and he'll be doing all sorts of things with it, but for right now, I'm buying it (barely).

August 29 2006 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marcel

regarding c-note and sucre: I think it was okay to be like that. I mean, in real life people also do stuff there you keep wondering 'well, can't they think 2 steps ahead?'. It's more realistic the way it was done here (although it was probably mainly for the story anyway).
we're way to used to robotlike characters like you see in series as all the csi-stuff, who neverever do unlogical things. (see ncis as a great counterpart on that issue)

t-bag and his hand: complete bollocks. period.

@2 no, it's not legal. you not from the us? I'm from germany and know that:)
they could tape it because lincoln pretended to be someone who's already dead (which he didn't knew), so they knew it was made up and not from ljs attorney. mahone told that even lj. I think it'S good that the authors don't explain everything into every detail. but it seems not everyone seems to get that..;)

@5 hehehe

August 29 2006 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Chris -- Maybe there were clippers in that horse trailer he rode in. ;-)

August 29 2006 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Anyone else wonder how Tweener was able to get a haircut between last season and this season (since the escape only happened a day or two ago), without anyone noticing?

August 29 2006 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TedSez

I was hoping to hear this dialogue in the elevator....

Lincoln: I didn't kill the vice president's brother!

Mahone: I don't care!