July 25, 2014

The 4400: Fifty Fifty (season finale)

by Jen Creer, posted Aug 28th 2006 10:42AM
4400 Season Finale(S03E13) Okay, that was a pretty cool season finale -- with one caveat. I hate it when TV shows (and movies for that matter) use plot devices simply for the purpose of setting things up for the next season (or movie). What if the series gets canceled? No closure. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

For those of you who didn't get a chance to see it -- evil Isabelle is still alive. But she is a new, powerless Isabelle. Tom finally retrieved the powerful, Isabelle-killing shot from the future and decided he was going to go after her. She survived an explosion in a warehouse after Collier lured her there -- which led us all to believe that she really was a god. Isabelle truly seemed unkillable. So, as Alana pointed out to Tom: How the heck do you get close enough to stab her with a hypodermic needle?

Of course Isabelle overpowers Tom. But we know all is not lost because Maia has lifted her little chin and defiantly told Isabelle that she will not succeed. But Isabelle forgot about Richard. Actually, to tell you the truth, I forgot about Richard too. They haven't given Richard anything emotionally resonant to do this season -- I miss Lily. Richard manipulates the needle and makes it stab Isabelle, thinking that he is killing her -- which is just a brutal and cold thing. Except that Richard has known that Isabelle was evil since she was a little baby -- and so to some extent he has probably always known he would have to destroy her.

The shot didn't kill her. It merely made her powerless. I think this is a strong indication that whoever from the future is engineering and orchestrating this grand plan to have Jordan Collier lead the crusade against evil genuinely has good intentions. If they didn't, I think that the shot would have killed Isabelle. But they didn't need to kill her -- just disarm her. As disappointed as I was that they didn't actually kill Isabelle, I still had to respect that. But how much did you love it when Isabelle defiantly told Tom to finish things, and Tom then lowered his gun -- and raised it again and shot her. A little shoulder shot never hurt anybody on television.

Diana and Maia have been squabbling -- isn't Maia a little young to be developing a teenager attitude? We now know that the promycin kills 50 percent of the people who inject it into themselves, including Devon. Shawn couldn't save her-- does that have ramifications for his powers, or for the promycin? Jordan Collier has his army of homeless people touring the country injecting themselves at the end of the season, explaining the risks. We see Diana's sister, April, take a syringe at the end. Diana is heading to Spain with Maia and Ben. She can't take anymore NTAC, but Maia tells Alana that they will be back soon. And that Alana will be gone -- and at the end of the show, Alana is taken, poof, back to the future.

At the end of the series, the first regular person to take the promycin has developed new abilities. So, what would you do if you were offered the promycin -- would you take it? Would you take a chance on developing a super power? I have a feeling that is what the next series is all about.

Alisha

Okay I have many opinions about the season finale so I will share some with you first of all.

WHAT THE HECK: Alright Diane is not acting herself. Who here would run off to spain with their sisters ex boyfriend? And does anybody but me think that Diane and TOM? would be a cuter couple. If so please respond to me at my website Lil_Mickey_bear@yahoo.ca

January 08 2007 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

As the season progressed, I began to wonder if Isabelle is actually the good one. I especially wondered after Jordan Collier came back. He was so weird. Cult of personality kind of thing going on.

I am however glad they brought Kyle back for a few episodes. Sean and he were my favorite characters.

September 30 2006 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vamroc

Wow I wonder what will become of the "the good doctor" (Jeffery Combs). Sadly I missed the finally I hope to catch a rerun at some point. it's really deceptive to call this season three when in fact season one was little more than a three part made for TV movie. Every body forgets that Kevin Sorbo did no less than four made for TV movies as Hercules and those don't count as the first eight episodes.

September 26 2006 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Britt

Season Finale was fantastic. I don't think Isabelle is dead. She made it out of surgery. You see that shot just took her powers away. I think Tom only shot her once but Maia's mom is the one who shot her a bunch of times. Maybe Alana was taken because Tom didn't give Isabelle the injection. Here is what I'm wondering, remember when Sean and Isabelle were about to get married and that one guy gave Sean a cigar and he smoked it? He saw all of this coming the war. He kills Richard and says something along the lines that Isabelle showed me what I was suppose to do. Something like that. Anyway I'm looking forward to next season.

August 31 2006 at 10:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I don't see why they would keep Alana in the future forever, since that is not where she is originally from. She did have a husband killed by a drunk driver in the past. I think they took her for a reason and we may see her again.

Overall a good ending. I suppose the survival rate of some of the semi regulars who took the shots will depend on who signs a contract next season.

One thing that bothered me is how did Richard know to use the shot on Elizabeth? For all he knew, nothing could kill her, so why not try his TK to throw her off of him. During the struggle I was expecting Tom to look Richard in the eyes and then look at the shot to signal to him to use it, but that never happened. The only ones who knew about what the shot would do were Tom Alana, Elizabeth and the recently departed Matthew.

August 29 2006 at 12:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I remember it being said that when Kyle and Sean were together and Sean got taken to the future, that it was Kyle who was the original target and Sean pushed him out of the way. If this is so, I doubt that Kyle will die from taking promicin shots since "the future" wanted to make him one of the 4400. I do think Diana's sister will die since she's been a very minor character.

I thought the finale was really good, save for one exception. If I was Diana, or any parent of a child in that classroom where Isabelle was going to torture/kill children, I would've shot her through the head the instant she lost her abilities...or at least been the one to put a bullet in her shoulder. The writers should've had her, and not Tom, do that.

August 29 2006 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett

I thought USA's seasons were in January and June?

August 28 2006 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

I don't think Alana would be sent back- job done, do you think the hard times are over for Tom? I think Kyle is living on borrowed time, and it may be the promycin that does him in.

August 28 2006 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carl

Regarding Alana: She was sent by the future to be someone that Tom could lean on during tough times-is it possible that the people guiding the mission brought her back,job done?

Agreed on the finale opening some new doors....can June '07 come fast enough to see how they get out of THIS tough spot?

August 28 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn

Jimmy Quote: "Is it really a good thing to unleash 4400-enabled people on the world, while at the same time causing the death of half those who take it? Does the world need 4400-enabled murderers, rapists, and terrorists? This makes me wonder if it's the good guys who brought Jordan back because unleashing Promycin sound like a recipe for chaos." End Jimmy Quote

I must agree with this statement. Jordan has said something to the effect of how good it would be to make the Promycin available to the needy, poor the homeless. To give them hope, or something to that effect. Now I'm fully aware that people cannot always control their circumstances, but, is this the group of people you would prefer to have recieve these shots. On the other hand, Jordon is taking advantage of his perceiption of their hopelessness to experiment on them. What's the what?

August 28 2006 at 4:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply