April 17, 2014

Celebrity Duets: Premiere

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 29th 2006 10:32PM

Celebrity Duets cast
(S01E01) Jai Rodriquez and Alfonso Ribeiro. Remember these two names because they'll probably be the finalists for Celebrity Duets. Granted, the eight stars that were selected for this show all have singing talent. But, these two really stood out, particularly Jai. Although I'd like to see Alfonso win, only so we can see the 'Carlton Dance'.

For a Simon Cowell production this wasn't a bad show to watch (and I am NOT a fan of either American Idol or America's Got Talent). Wayne Brady was a good choice for host. He was a bit stiff in the beginning, but began to warm up to his role as the night progressed.

The judges were okay. I think Marie Osmond had the most to say to the contestants of the show. David Foster, who is in the Simon Cowell seat, was very un-Simon like. He told the stark truth, but at least he gave the stars credit for getting up there and doing something they don't normally do. Then there was Little Richard. I know the man is a rock-and-roll legend, but what the hell was going on with him? During the second hour of the show he was saying stuff that made no sense. I think someone told him that because after one of the commercial breaks he finally made a coherent comment to one of the performers.

Finally the contestants. I wasn't surprised that Alfonso Ribeiro could sing because he was doing that, as well as dancing, on Broadway long before his role on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (even before Silver Spoons for that matter). I didn't know who Jai Rodriguez was (he's the 'culture guy' on Queer Eye), but he will definitely be in the finals, unless he screws up royally. The stars who surprised me with their singing prowess were Lea Thompson (who is looking very cute), Hal Sparks, and Cheech Marin, who did pretty well in a duet with Randy Travis. Who should have been eliminated? Lucy Lawless. I just didn't think she had it in her (although she was absolutely stunning). I thought that Chris Jericho, who was the star actually eliminated, was better than Lucy.

Okay, I've talked enough. Now it's your turn to tell us what you thought of Celebrity Duets. Try not to crash my mailbox, okay?

april

I am so mad I missed the final WORK!!!!!!! Ughhh and now i cant find who won, can someone please tell me?? Thanks guys:-) I hope it was Alfonso or Hal, I wasnt really all that impressed with Lucy even with her "Broadway" experience she was below par in my opinion.

October 04 2006 at 10:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kat

The show was pretty good. I like Simon Cowell.... he tells the truth, and the reason he is harsh is because these nuts who audition in american idol somehow must have been eating the wrong mushrooms and think they are talented. But I divert --- Celebrities who can sing and still be a good actor (actress)-- I heard from my OLDDDD friends that in their "good old days" every celebrity could dance sing and act...not like my generation. What do I know--- I am 23 and dont know who Shirley Temple is. Go Alfonso!!!!

September 25 2006 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Penny

The song your looking for is " Aint No Mountain High Enough". Good song!

September 06 2006 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Penny

I believe the one that went last week is the one that deserved it. Chris entertains us well as a wrestler, but his singing, even though he enjoyed doing it very much, just plain hurt my ears. I am also unimpressed by Lucy and Lea. Although Lucy is gorgeous and Lea isnt a dog either, they cant sing well enough to get to the end. We have to keep in mind, this is a show about singing talent, not looks. When your listening to a CD, your not looking at the singer, just listening.

September 06 2006 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

I caught the show late.... but can anyone tell me the song Michelle Williams did with , I think, ALphonso Ribeiro? It had the lyrics... when the mountains were high.... when the valley was low..... ? I loved that song and havent heard it in years!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 05 2006 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amy

What the heck are you smoking??? You think Lucy Lawless should have gotten the boot? NO WAY PAL!!!! She was by far better than Chris Jericho and she'll be there all the way to the end. You just watch!

September 03 2006 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
deborah prevette

Lucy Lawless did "Grease" on Broadway. She also sang on Xena. Little Richard...Damnnnnnnnn,you need a script. No more live tv for you.

September 01 2006 at 8:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

Thought Chris was the weakest, but so was Carly,& Cheech was awful, but with 5 guys & 3 gals I figured the first to go would be a guy.
Lucy was by far incredible, she sang beautifully in American English, which adds another challenge to her performance. She & Smokey were really Smoking. She is so gracious & beautiful to look at as well as listen to.
Little Richard has got to go. What's with him, nothing that he said during the entire show was worthwhile or made sense.
Considering the experience that several of the contestants already have, they should have tried matching this more evenly.

September 01 2006 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

One more comment, although Cheech isn't the world's best singer, I really enjoyed Diggin up Bones with Randy Travis. That's a song I've always enjoyed and it was a great combo

August 31 2006 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

All I can say is Jai Rodriguez and Michelle Williams, amazing, I was enraptured by their performance. I definitely think as of now, Jai is the lead runner

August 31 2006 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply