October 1, 2014

Press Kits Unwrapped: FOX's Bones

by Richard Keller, posted Aug 29th 2006 10:28AM

The Bones Press KitWoo.

Even though FOX's Bones isn't a new show (its second season premiere airs this Wednesday at 8:00) I was expecting a bit more from the press kit. I mean the kit for FOX's Prison Break, which is also into its second season, came with a hooded sweatshirt and faux-newspaper detailing the characters and plot of the show. The least I expected from the Bones kit was maybe a mini-mangled body to put on my mantle, or a small reproduction of the holo-tank they use for their investigations. Alas, all I got was what you see in this picture . . . not even a folder or envelope for the materials!

Well, at least the show is good. Let's take a quick (and I mean QUICK) look at the paltry amount of material that this press kit provided.

Bones documentation

As I mentioned, there was no fake newspaper this time around for the Bones press kit. Perhaps they ran out of ink on the printing press just as the kit was about to go out. However, there is extensive information about the show in the documentation that was provided, including character and actor bios, as well as a summary on what the procedural drama is all about.

The Bones Desktop Investigation Kit

The Prison Break kit came with a hooded sweatshirt. My kit came with the Bones Desktop Investigation Kit. What, pray tell, is that? According to the package:

Contains all the necessary tools to collect, trace and clean your crime scene.

Includes

Keyboard Brush

Micro Fiber Cloth

Computer Surface Cleaner

In other words, a computer cleaning kit. I like the logo that was placed on all the products, but it's still a computer cleaning kit.

The mysterious white tracing paper.

Last, but not least, the Bones press kit came with this lovely piece of white tracing paper. What's it for? I have no friggin idea.

Edgeoforever

And yet. the hooded T-shirt show opened a mere 0.3 rating points above Bones, and in the second week was slightly under...
I guess the press hype can only carry a show so far.
Bones has had always to make it IN SPITE of something (lack of advertising, erratic programming etc).
Your meager press kit is symptomatic.

August 31 2006 at 3:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kayte

...further proof that FOX worships Prison Break and pays incredibly little attention to Bones.

August 31 2006 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I don't know about you, but the *real* reason I commented was because I'm jealous I don't get cool press kits. :o)

Me want toys!!!

August 30 2006 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I really don't mean to come across antagonistic but I just had to point out what I saw was completely unprofessional, and had hoped that Richard instead of his brother would respond to insignificant readers like us.

As I see it, it's all a moot point since this post is being pushed down every day.

August 30 2006 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Justin,

I was trying to think of a way to convey the point that Richard's humor, if there really was any, didn't come through in his article. You did a better job of it than I could have.

August 30 2006 at 8:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

No offence, but if your brother isn't capable enough to deliver that sort of irony in his writing, then he shouldn't have bothered in the first place. Especially for the sake of being professional.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that was not what he was aiming for in this piece.

August 30 2006 at 4:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joel

I think he was joking, more like a case of: "How come there isn't as much useless crap in this press kit as there was in the last press kit?"

August 29 2006 at 2:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Press kits should be discontinued because all we hear is the comparisons and complaints. We, the viewers, are the ones that make a show or break a show, so stop whining that you didn't get a big enough welfare check in the form of a press kit. Seems to me that a press kit is nothing more than a bribe for a good word anyway. I say let the show stand on its own merits, not the "Free Prize Inside!".

This ain't a kids' cereal.

August 29 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

and you are hardly key media folks, so I'd dial it down on whether you're deserving on swag.

August 29 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

Wow, you are greedy aren't you? What getting paid to watch tv and write paperthin review isn't enough anymore?

August 29 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply