October 25, 2014

Eureka: Blink

by Will O'Brien, posted Aug 30th 2006 7:48AM
eureka
(S01E07)
Blink opens with a great little tiff that subtly introduces our villain. They did a nice job of slipping him in between the banter with Zoe and the remote town meeting. This episode suffers a bit from the out of order episodes, but it's still a fun if darker ride through Eureka.

This episode definitely took a bit of a darker turn. When Carter finds the dead guy, I was surprised at just how mangled the body was. Then he finds an ear embedded in a tree. (gotta love Jo's knife supply) Later on we're treated to the guys withdrawing from the speed drug.

This is Eureka, so we still got plenty of humor to lighten things up. Fargo drops a great line:
"OK guys, the deadline is now tomorrow. We need to step it up and get serious, but mostly we need to cheat."

When I saw the preview, I couldn't help but think of the Smallville episode where Lex hits Clark with his Porsche. When we finally get to henry playing in his garage/lab, That image was dispelled pretty quickly when Henry shouted "Fire in the hole!". (Did you guys think the crash dummy head looked like Carter?)

Zoe is the main reason that I think this episode suffers from order issues. She's obviously just getting adjusted to the surroundings. But her school scenes serve a good purpose. They let Dillon slip right past my villain-o-meter. It's usually pretty obvious, but I just didn't catch it this time.

If you're really sharp you'll see that they give away Dillon when he runs through the living room. I slowed it down on my TiVo and you can actually see him(the blur) come from and go back up the stairs where Zoe and Dillon emerge.

As far as plot delivery went, they did a great job of keeping us occupied. I didn't quite have the emotional connection that I've had with the characters before. Usually Allison is a bit more on Jack's side, but this time she took her thing right to Stark. (It felt like more symptoms of episode disorder.) This one really should have aired before last weeks, where Allison falls asleep on Carter's bed, to do any justice to their friendship.

Henry Paschal

What was the name of the modified Ridalin that was "cooked" to make this super speed drug? Your response is appreciated. Thanks!

September 01 2006 at 2:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason C.

Oops, it didn't include the URL in the last comment: http://www.scifi.com/eureka/episodes/

August 31 2006 at 1:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason C.

Scifi's Eureka site has an episode list which is ordered in the way they've aired, but includes the actual episode number so you can keep track of how the character and plot arcs are supposed to go. I hope they're back on track now, because the jumping around has been annoying.

August 31 2006 at 1:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny

I didn't look at the crash test dummy closely enough to see if it looked like Carter, but that was one of the funniest scenes so far.
Carter (looking at dummy head): Why does it look like me?

Henry (off screen): It's generic.

lol Now THAT'S good comedy! :-D

August 30 2006 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

So does anyone know the correct order of the episodes? I've tivo'd all of them with the intention of watching, but haven't started yet

August 30 2006 at 2:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will O'Brien

The network reordered them to get a better ratings grab as the show started off. Colin commented a little bit about stronger shows running earlier in the podcasts.

August 30 2006 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will O'Brien

They hinted pretty clearly in the last episode that Fargo will probably be her next one.

August 30 2006 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

why are they airing them out of order?

August 30 2006 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

I can't figure out if they are trying to set Stark as Beverly's contact or not. He does hte nice guy thing makes sure that Allison's son is not getting the drug during the trial but then at the end he pulls the scheming creep and wants to use it as a new project knowing its side affects.

I didn't catch that Dillon was the villian (intentional rhyming on their part?) at the cafe but when he showed at the house I was pretty sure it was him.

August 30 2006 at 9:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply