October 25, 2014

Not so fast! Amy Poehler is still on Weekend Update

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 30th 2006 2:01PM

Will Arnett and Amy PoehlerEveryone - including us - reported that one of the many changes happening at Saturday Night Live this fall would be Tina Fey and Amy Poehler being replaced on Weekend Update (Fey because of her role on 30 Rock, Poehler because Lorne Michaels wanted a change). But now comes word - from Poehler herself - that she is still going to be an anchor on Weekend Update. It's just that she's going to be paired with a new partner.

The more interesting thing is that she tells TV Guide's Michael Ausiello (scroll down) that she doesn't know who she will be partnered with yet. It was reported last week that the new WU anchor would be Jason Sudeikis. Hmmm...

Related:

Four SNLers are history, says Lorne Michaels
Update: Sanz, Parnell, and Thompson off SNL
Horatio Sanz says he's still on SNL -- UPDATE

Used to love snl

Kenan totally stinks, enough of the Bill Cosby stuff, it's not the 80's anymore. Amy's ok, but since Tina Fey left they use her way too much, she's not that good. Maya stinks, we all know you can sing, but it's not American Idol. They need to get new talent and new writers. I have been trying to tell friends that the show is good and defend it all the time, but they're right- it's stupid, not funny, not entertaining. Hasn't been in years. Mad TV has Michael McDonald, Bobby Lee, Ike B. and they remind me of the good talent that SNL lost. Mad TV's writers are pretty good, too- a couple stupid skits but some ingenious ones, too!

September 05 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicki

Your opinion on Bush or Lorne Michaels = irrelevant.

September 03 2006 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barth

According to a New York Times article (8/27/06) on the director Paul Thomas Anderson's new movie filming in Marfa, Texas, Maya Rudolph--Anderson's partner, is referred to as "the former 'Saturday Night Live' cast member."

September 03 2006 at 2:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

To #28 ... Your sign name expalins what you are good at , IF, anything !! Beware !! The old thing about it making you go blind is just a wivestale, But, as far as making you go STUPID, It looks like it's true and TOO LATE FOR YOU !!!

September 02 2006 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Noelle

Hey JD--
The two in the skit you are speaking of are Kirsten Wiig (i think) and Jason Sudeikis. The skits are usually called The Adventures of Two A-Holes (doing something). As far as i know, they've only done two--one was buying a tree, and the other was planning a vacation. I think they are absolutely hysterical, and i just happened to catch them as reruns on the E! Channel. Otherwise, i am completely underwhelmed by the show.
Bring back Maya Rudolph doing Donatella Versace! Now THAT was comedy.

September 02 2006 at 4:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Stop hating on SNL. We all have our favorites and least favorites among the cast--thats the point it caters to many different tastes. I'm always sad when my favorites leave. -Will ferrell, jimmy fallon, chris kattan, hortio sanz (even tho he never kept a straight face i still loved him) ....I miss the show alot but when I remember it's on, Im entertained. It's better than stupid survivor.

As long as they dont make fun of Michael jackson too badly, imma keep watching. I'm excited to see the next season.

September 02 2006 at 3:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne Jennings

Lorne Michaels is as liberal as they get. I won't tune in anymore because of this. The jokes are constantly Bush-bashing and completely leftist. My son, a Davidson College student and head of the Right debate team in HS-that always wins- went to see Colin Quinn here in JAX and loved it. Quinn is not a limousine liberal like Mr. Michaels and all the leftist "talent" he has had on SNL. I am so proud to be a North Florida Bush loving conservative Republican who supports our troops. I am so tired of the left- slanted media...and Michaels Thank God for Fox News, Ann Coulter, Rush ,Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity who speak the truth. Liberal thinking is beyond reason... baffling and contardictory. I am glad there is no one as sharp or attractve as Ann Coulter on the other side. Hollywood has a bunch of showpeople who may look good, but lack brains..and often HS degrees. Cameron Diaz' comments are competely idiotic; that is just one example. I constantly read books defending or bashing both sides. If Hillary wins in '08 we are in big trouble. I truthfully do not understand liberal's thinking. Big Ted K who cheated at Harvard, my fathers alma mater, and left a woman to die to save face by finding an alibi is he still the Senior Senator from Mass. It just makes no sense whatsoever. I have tried to make reason of all of it, but cannot. Perhaps, being from Canada influenced Mr. Michaels. I just cannot understanding his beliefs.

September 02 2006 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fatswalller

snl has been horrible for more years than i can remember.

September 02 2006 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommy

I thought Mad TV seamed really gay now,most of their skits are, after I read comment #28's user name, It all makes sense!

September 02 2006 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tommy

I hope this season is a good one, I watched SNL from the first episode, it does great then they lose the most talented people to movies or whatever, then they have a season or two that is just unmemorable, that happened about the time Mad TV started,so I started watching it instead, now I think Mad TV sucks, they lost all the really funny people, and depend on idiots like Bobby Lee to dress like a woman in every skit and think it won't get old,I wish SNL could bring back some of it's old talent, like Kevin Nealand, Mike Meyers or Dana Carvey, I don't know if they are just too busy or SNL can't afford them, even bringing back some of the not so big stars that were really funny, Like Victoria Jackson or Tim Meadows.

September 02 2006 at 12:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply