April 18, 2014

Rescue Me: Beached (season finale)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Aug 30th 2006 12:05AM

Rescue Me S03E13 Beached

(S03E13) Another season comes and goes. I hate to say it, because I love this show, but I was a little disappointed with this finale. Same as I was with Deadwood a few nights ago. I just found it to be a bit of a slow episode that kind of meandered along. It (sort of) tied up a few loose ends and the cliffhanger? Not too sure how I feel about that either.

I mean, don't get me wrong, this was a great episode. Every Rescue Me episode is. But it just lacked something. The opening was outstanding, I'll say that. What a great idea to show Tommy daydreaming about the crew before 9/11. Jimmy and Billy were there. Sean and Franco were both still probies. It was well done.

But the rest of the episode? We never got any resolution to Uncle Teddy. Granted, his storyline was weak this season anyway, but what about the troubles he was having with his new wife? There was no mention at all. Jerry's one scene was poorly executed too. He wandered off from the hospital and made his way to the firehouse. He was all disoriented and to be honest, I really feel like the writer's owed Jerry's character a bit more than what we got. So are we supposed to be left wondering whether or not he'll ever come back to work? Seems like he most likely won't be.

Lou and Franco, at least their stories came full circle. Lou's one experience on his cousin's boat? Didn't go as planned seeing as how he could barely muster the balance to walk along the dock without getting on his hands and knees. Nice cameo by Artie Lange as Lou's cousin though.

Franco studied his butt off for the lieutenant's exam. He even had Richie quiz him. But when the time came, he tanked it. So he'll be hanging around the house with Lou too. So will Mike because he decided he didn't really want to transfer. As far as Sean and Maggie went? Well, they had a lot of sex. No real plot advancement there.

And then we have Tommy. First off, he better not get back with Janet in season four because I really dislike her. Already she wants to move back in with Tommy, for the girls and to add legitimacy to her pregnancy. But it might not even be Tommy's! Despite all that, he still can't muster up a good enough reason to turn in his walking papers.

That evening, at Sheila's new beach-house, Tommy came clean with her and told her he wouldn't be retiring. Needless to say, Sheila flipped out. First, she roofied Tommy's drink again. After he passed out, she went hysterical (she was drunk too) and started throwing stuff and yelling at Tommy's passed out body, because "she didn't buy this house just for herself." At one point, she threw an oil lamp and it lit the wall on fire. At least she had the sense to call 911, but she wasn't able to drag Tommy's body out of the house before the smoke got to her.

So clearly, Tommy I'm sure will be fine. But it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Sheila doesn't make it. I personally think she'd work fine as one of Tommy's ghosts, but who knows. I can't say I agree with Tommy's decision (because it almost guarantees he'll be back with Janet), but Sheila is officially nuts. She's deserves everything coming at her.

Despite all my gripes, there were still some great quotes. My favorite? When Tommy was caught off guard after Katie asked him what sperm was:

"Well, uh, it's a food. It's like Spam, except you know, it's got more protein and it's harder to find in the store."

Rescue Me will return for a fourth season in spring 2007.

Sonia

Does anyone know the Theme song to this show, the one that plays when it starts? Thanx

November 23 2006 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonia

I love this show, I just started watching it this season, I didnt like the finale much, and if Tommy dies, the show won't go on cause he is the show, I"m pretty sure there will be another Season and he will get out of the fire and Sheila will die or be very burned, which she deserves, she drugged him, that's crazy, and there's no excuse for that. And when she went to out ther car she was thinking about just letting him die, I think in the next Season, Tommy needs a new woman, I don't like either one of them.

November 23 2006 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen Parent

When is season 4 to start????

November 07 2006 at 6:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brittani

does anyone know the name of the song that was playing when Tommy is making the phone calls to everyone, telling them that Johnny has died?

October 30 2006 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I know its from far back, but could anyone please tell me the name of the song from the second season, episode one. Its the song at the very end, id really appreciate it if anyone knows, thanks.

October 19 2006 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Hey everybody, i hope theres someone out there that can tell me the name of the song from the second season,...episode 1. It was the song at the end, please if anyone knows it lemme know, thanks a lot.

October 19 2006 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
peach ferron

rescue me is the Best show on TV . Denis Leary is wonderful in his role as Tommy Gavin and what a honor the show is to his cousin that died in a fire and the memory of the victims and the families of 911.
peach ferron

September 15 2006 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

can someone tell me the name of the song that was on at the end when the house caught on fire?

September 15 2006 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jabes54

Here's what I think about next season. Does anyone agree?
Tommy - of course he lives and finds out Sheila (who dies) drugged him -- he'll feel guilty, but get mad at ghost Jimmy for urging them to get together
Janet - just when Tommy thinks they can work out some sort of independent relationship for the sake of the baby, there will be some baby medical complication and he'll be forced to connect with her again
Jerry - will be forced into early retirement, but will sadly keep coming to the firehouse
Lou - will go through some sort of conflict either with the nun or in becoming the new chief
Franco - the show can't afford to send him to France or to bring Susan Sarandon back, so I'm not sure how he gets Keela back - his storyline is a stumper
Sean and Maggie - lots of "hilarity ensuing" and fighting and make-up sex
Mikie - the whole sexual confusion thing has been played to death -- he needs a whole new storyline
Teddy - he'll commit another crime to lose his "marriage" privileges
That's my two cents. I don't know if I can make to next May!!!!!

September 07 2006 at 10:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stacy

I thought the finale was great. I thought it was well thought out - a brilliant fire at the end, officially ending the hopes of sheila. a passionate firefighter who lives for the job - disoriented and helpless to find the exit -the escape out of the flames. unable to save himself from himself or his destined to be blown to bits relationship with sheila (who I love for being so crazy and acting the part so well- Sheila is great, she just wants to be loved, is that so wrong?). and sure, tommy is the star, the main attraction, most of the hour show revolves around him so he's not going anywhere. but is he coming back impaired in anyway? will he be disabled for awhile? disfigured? now who is going to love him? i wish the next season was kicking off before spring 2007 - this is torture. Maybe it should be a two hour a week show because the other characters are great too - all really well done - but there isn't enough time in the one hour to focus on tommy and develop the other character plots to the level that they deserve. I hope everybody stays in some way shape or form.

September 07 2006 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply