September 17, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 9 Peformances

by Deidre Woollard, posted Aug 30th 2006 7:26AM
supernova6(S02E17) Dilana is still reacting from her bad night and her meltdown makes it worse. When the camera comes around at the house, she smashes a glass and runs off. The glass hits Magni on the forehead. All that drama comes to naught everyone is all business by song time. It was fan choice night for the rockers giving us an insight into how the voters really see each singer.

Lukas confesses he's an everyman. He worked at Hooters, he drinks beer, he just wears more makeup than everyone else. His version of Lithium, shows a bit of his delicious voice and he manages to actually face the audience this time. Good going, small fry, but lose that tongue thing.

Magni does his Ed Kowalcyzk from Live impression again with I, Alone. I love vintage Live so this works for me but mainly he's still a snore to watch. Lovely voice, too bad we can't put it in someone else's body.

Ryan plays piano to start and then jumps atop the piano and signs Clocks. He jumps around a lot and generally makes a good show of things but he gets a bit screamy this time.

Storm has the challenge of singing Bring Me To Life. It's not really a Storm song but she does a nice job (with Toby as nice counterpoint vocals). The band wasn't loving it. Will this be their chance to get rid of the beautiful babe?

Toby sings Rebel Yell. Eyeliner just doesn't work on Toby and he doesn't really put the dirty, sexy vibe into this song that it needs. And pulling a bunch of bouncy girls on stage doesn't seem to help although he does make the girlies swoon.

Dilana sings Mother, Mother and does a better job with it than Jill did. She plays guitar and thrashes her hair around. The band loves it. It's a great performance but I wonder if this tiny terror has the emotional and vocal stability for a Supernova tour.

Which of these songs are most Supernova-friendly? I think that Lukas and Toby were given the two songs that are most like the Supernova style. I'm very eager to see Lukas play with the band which hopefully will happen tomorrow night.

Storm, Ryan and Lukas are listed as the bottom three. My bottom three are Storm, Magni and Toby.

Foxy

Way to go Granny! I'm not 67 but I too can relate to what she said about getting converted just by watching Supernova this Summer. But I don't agree on the winner being Dilana. I think she's on target about Lukas though, not sure he can handle those CRAAAAZY guys behind him! Sorryyyy, but it's still Toby all the way for me! EVR!!!

September 12 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicola lake

I am a 67 year old woman who has avoided hard rock all my young life because I couldn't understand it. Came across Supernova on tv one night and am now a convert! Just love the show, the music, and the concept. They are all good, but for me, the finalists should be Lukas and Dilana, with Dilana being Number One - her energy, stage presence and talent are riveting. Lukas has a great voice, but behind his makeup hides a very insecure little boy; watch his body language. He does not yet have the maturity and strength of character to be the frontsman for such a powerful band. He seems terrified behind all that make up and crazy hair. Pity, but he has time on his side. My vote is the raw, edgy, brilliant Dilana.

September 09 2006 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie

I think that Dilana is the most talented but not what the band wants. They have dissed her for two weeks and have not given her her due until this last show. They simply don't want a female lead and can use the clips they show to ensure their desires. I think it is unfair to the females to have them compete if they only want a male lead. And to Dilana, I don't know what the devil horns were about or that song choice but you really hurt yourself there. You are on the rebound, but I don't think the band has the courage to back your stage stealing performances and you may have helped yourself into a hole that you can't climb out of.

September 07 2006 at 11:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Foxy

Totally agree with Donna's remarks! Toby is it and definitely would be an asset to Supernova! I would definitely go to any of their concerts with Toby out front! He has something for everyone of all ages. Just watching him at home I feel like I'm there, he makes you feel a part of it all. Sexy, Hot, Hot, Hot, what more can I say!

September 06 2006 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I definitely think Toby is the man for the job. After hearing him last week with Rebel Yell and then last night....WOW, his original rocked. I felt so good afterwards. I think his songwriting ability, his stage presence, his playful personality and his powerful vocals will land him the job hands down. I also think his song provided the perfect mix and what the younger generation wants to hear, with a bit of the old classic rock sound. I loved it and I'm in my 40's!!

September 06 2006 at 2:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SW

Just my stupid opinons...

So glad to see Ryan (the screaming, hypocritical, sore losing, troublemaker) go. Storm would have went if it weren't for Ryan's terrible performance on Wednesday. How he could sing beautifully during one performance and then so wretchedly the next time? It's a mystery to me! Maybe Supernova felt they couldn't count on him during live performances so they sent him packing.

Dilana is by far the most talented. She has a great command of her vocals, of the stage and of the audience.

Toby is lighthearted and fun. He has nice vocals too. I like his good natured style.

Magni is very gifted but is missing that extra spark. I don't know, I can't put my finger on it. But I do like him.

Storm is a good singer but some of her stage performances were embarrassing to watch.

Lukas? Well, he is just plain unintelligible unless you already know the lyrics. Of course that may not bother some. But for the rest of us, does he come with subtitles? If so, then follow the bouncing ball...

September 04 2006 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stian

For me the show is less exciting since Zayra left. Lucus seems not right too made up and seems insecure, more punk edge not rock edge perhaps Marilyn manson would like him. Dilana is a bit of a freak and seems too far at the edge and her voice is the same all the time. toby should go and be on a Country star program. He tries hard but doesn't have the natural edge Storm is a bit too phoney, a realness is lacking, she jus doesn't fit. So magni is left he is the most natural and real but does not have the authentic showmanship that ZAYRA HAS SHE WOULD HAVe made the band look great she could have transcended all continents and made the new rock band global. I think they should have a bring back and let her back in.

September 04 2006 at 12:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sevon

I personally think it's down to Dilana and Lukas. Dilana has an awesome voice and great stage presence but I fear her negative comments towards the other competitors killed her chance. As she was doing it I was watching the T.V. screaming shut up Dilana you are screwing yourself...pity. Lucas on the other hand has alot going for him. The girls love him, he's unbelievable to watch and all around glorious. Magni is hot and what a voice but forgettable as are the others. Sorry guys. GO LUCAS!!!!!!
Sevon

September 03 2006 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Foxy

Toby is still number one with me. He ToBally rocks and will draw crowds of all ages. If Supernova was looking for 2 of the best for their group, I'd say Toby and Storm! They heat up the stage together!

September 02 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SANKIT2

Please Storm Large should have defintley left before Ryan Star. If Dilana wins it is over for Supernova before it begins. Toby is the one for the job and Lucas is a close second. I love the show.

September 02 2006 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply