September 2, 2014

Battlestar Galactica season three -- an early look

by Keith McDuffee, posted Aug 31st 2006 10:43AM
battlestar galactica press kitWhen I returned home last night, a package awaited me that I later knew would most definitely define a good portion of the near midnight hours of my night; a large, thin, hard bound book containing beautiful pictures, text and DVDs for the first four episodes of Battlestar Galactica's third season.

It's extremely difficult to tell you too much about the new season and the episodes I watched without spoiling things for you, especially when I'm such a hardcore member of Spoilers Anonymous as it is. Sorry in advance if I'm giving too little or too much away, but I think this will be a good start to get you even more excited for the new season, which starts Friday, October 6.

battlestar galactica season three
Let me start by saying that you won't be disappointed. I admit I was afraid things were going to be pretty sketchy this season, with the show's creators taking a leap of faith by transplanting the series a year into the future. I'm extremely pleased at how well it's working, and there are lots of hints of promise for what's to come.

The opening scenes of the two-hour premiere (called "Occupation / Precipice") are almost poetic, and they definitely give you that excited feeling that "holy crap, BSG is back!" That haunting, ethereal music, teasing shots of people we've come to know on the show. It only keeps getting better.

The opening credit scenes, though they looked a little unfinished, are a bit different than last season. In the opening "they have a plan" intro, they've thrown in a few scenes from last season. During the opening credits scene, they've stuck with the format of teasing us with future scenes from the episode, while also changing the scenes prior to those teases. Nothing major, but they're there.

My tired eyes only allowed me to watch the two-hour premiere, the following episode and about ten minutes of the next. Oh, you can bet your ass I'll be finishing up the last two episodes tonight. But here's some teases I can give you from what I did see without giving anything too spoilery away:

We start about 134 days later than we last left the show. I'm reasonably sure this isn't news, but I can now confirm it. The colonials have been living amongst the Cylons for all this time, and you'll see all that's changed because of it. And I think there are things that will surprise you.

Someone who many suspected to be a Cylon last season looks not to be one. It's not explicitly stated, but when you see just the opening minutes of the two-hour season premiere, you'll likely come to the same conclusion.

Starbuck's situation will surprise you. Not only will her whereabouts surprise you, but when Starbuck meets someone named Casey, you may be surprised at her reactions toward her.

Lee Adama's state of body and mind is a bit shocking. Remember, he's back on Galactica and Pegasus with his father and a paltry skeleton crew. He hasn't had a whole lot of motivation, to say the least.

Colonel Tigh isn't taking things laying down. Maybe it's just me, but I've always felt Tigh acted very much like an old seasoned sea captain, who'd take no crap from the bad elements thrown at him. I was disappointed when we saw a lot of his weak side on Galactica in the past two seasons, especially when he couldn't do a whole lot without Adama around. He's acting more like that seasoned sea captain now, along with the battle scars to earn it. Put it this way -- the promo pictures for season three showing Saul aren't quite accurate (yet, at least).

There are dogs on New Caprica. Not really a spoiler, but I found it odd that there was a domesticated dog on the planet, when they've only been there less than two years. Did they really have dogs on Galactica?

I'll leave you with that for now. I'm sure there will be more to mention once I watch the two-parter I've already started (and then the following episode after that). I'll leave those for my next Spoilers Anonymous entry, though I'll be just as cryptic if not moreso.

So yes, be excited for season three. Very excited.

scott

ive been waiting for bsg season three to start again could someone tell me wen it will start and what channel its on?

October 09 2006 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuart Manson

It could be Billy.............

October 06 2006 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rdmenace

Well, geata is definately a prime canditate for being a cylon. Remember the end of season 1? Who was the last person to toutch boomer before she shot Adama?

Who was the guy who came up with the Network idea that later resulted in the logic bomb?

Who pointed out the election shinanigans that got baltar elected?

Who is the only person with the stomach to serve directly under baltar?

..............

That being said, shouldn't the humans know all the cylon models now? I mean, they are living with them. Do you think the cylons would bother only bringing down the models that the humans knew about?

October 06 2006 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuart Manson

Having had another browse on ye olde web, I have uncovered a couple more spoliers. In a three parter of season three we get to find out what goes on inside a Cylon Basestar and even better, one of the cylons gets killed of permanently! (although I cant see it being any of the women).
Its all here:

September 29 2006 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuart Manson

P.S.
You damn lucky folk only have to wait until a week tomorrow to see season three! I live in Scotland and will have to wait until way into 07!

September 28 2006 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stuart Manson

Indeed Ellen is not a Cylon. Baltar did the test on her when she first arrived on Galactica. Good shout with Gaeta possibly being one as I have heard this all over the net. I think it is definately a male though.

September 28 2006 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vamroc

Has anyone stopped to consider "the dog" is a Cylon it make's a lot of sense. As a covert operative it would be undetectable and nobdy would ever suspect. It would be able to intercept cover information. How can they mount a resistance when the Cylons know how to counter every plan they make. It's bloody genius on the part of of the Cylons.

September 26 2006 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim McCleese

If there is a character that I hope is NOT a cylon that would be Cally. The reason; If she were a cylon, that would mean a guarantee of more time on the show since she would have multiple lives. Since she is one of my very least favorite characters, that would be depressing. Her character is whining and manipulative.

September 16 2006 at 2:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chris w

Anyone else seen the promos for the "webisodes" starting on SciFi.com Sept. 5? Comments and thoughts?

September 03 2006 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Min

Didn't a lot of people think the woman who adopted Sharon and Helo's baby was possibly a Cylon? Maybe she's the one who's confirmed to be definitely human.

September 03 2006 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply