October 22, 2014

Glenn Ford dead at 90

by Bob Sassone, posted Aug 31st 2006 8:01AM

Glenn FordVeteran actor Glenn Ford - who I have to admit I thought died several years ago - was found dead at his home yesterday afternoon. He was 90.

Ford had a long movie career, starring in everything from The Blackboard Jungle and Experiment In Terror to Superman and The Courtship of Eddie's Father, which also starred Ron Howard and was the basis for the later TV series starring Bill Bixby. Ford starred in a few TV series over the years, including Cade's County and The Family Holvak, along with the mini-series Once An Eagle and the TV movies The Gift and The Sacketts.

His final acting role was the 1991 TV movie Final Verdict, though he made a few appearances in documentaries and specials in the 90s.

Tim McCleese

Glenn Ford was one of my favorite actors. I loved him in "Fate is the Hunter". He certainly made his mark in the film industry. Now C'mon guys, give Mr. Sassone a break. He has explained and apologized his statement so cut him some slack. Believe me, it is not easy to attain political perfection when writing posts, comments, etc. A man that squarely faces his critics deserves respect.

September 24 2006 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

I agree that above-mentioned comment is insensitive and does not pay tribute to a talented and well respected classic actor of the silver screen era. I'd consider re-editing it.

When in doubt, don't write unnecessary opinions. Whether you thought he was already gone is unnecessary for the viewer to read and it does not add anything to the story. Mr. Ford was very ill and retired and could not make any appearances.

God bless Glenn Ford, an amazing actor, humanitarian and war hero.

September 05 2006 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

I usually don't answer comments like this, but in this case I feel I have to.

I liked Glenn Ford. He was a good actor. That line in the first paragraph only meant that I had no idea that he was still alive, because he hadn't acted in anything in many, many years and you never heard anything about him. Anyone who reads anything else into the line - personal or political - is sadly mistaken.

August 31 2006 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vince

He was a great actor. Who can forget him as the teacher "Mr. Dadier" in "Blackboard Jungle"?

And in "Gilda"?

"The Teahouse of the August Moon"?

August 31 2006 at 11:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MF Cobb

Glenn Ford was my Mom's favorite actor and one of mine as well. Another fond memory is that Glenn Ford very much resembled my dad. I have seen many of Glenn Ford's movies and always enjoyed them. He handled roles in both comedy and drama extremely well. My response to the obituary as written above is that the writer was totally inept. Glenn Ford had a son (still living). I hope he did not see this obituary.

August 31 2006 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
George Kern

Glenn Ford was a great actor, not like the upcoming idiots of today's hollywood scene. Too bad today's actors can't take lessons from him.

August 31 2006 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Loueeza

Glenn Ford must of been a republican, because if he was a Sean Penn type that so called reporter would be boo hooing all over the place.

August 31 2006 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mrs. gambicki

I agree with the first comment...what type of news person say "who I have to admit I thought died several years ago" ? Maybe you should get someone who actually cares or knows about actors. Glenn Ford was a wonderful actor not a flash in the pan.

August 31 2006 at 10:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DAVID SHERRILL

MR.FORD WAS ONE OF THE FINEST ACTORS EVER! "I THOUGHT HE DIED A LONG TIME AGO" IS A SAD COMMENT. MR.FORD CERTAINLY DESERVES MUCH BETTER.MR.FORD HAD HIS OWN STYLE WHICH WAS WONDERFUL.MR.FORD WOULD MAKE YOU FEEL HIS PAIN, AND MADE THE STORY LINE THAT MUCH MORE WORTH WHILE.MR.FORD WAS A GREAT ACTOR AND HAS BEEN MISSED SINCE HIS LAST PERFORMANCE IN 1991. MR.FORD WILL BE REMEMBERED AS ONE OF THE BEST ACTORS AND HUMAN BEINGS IN HISTORY...

August 31 2006 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rudy Cordero

Next time leave the obituaries on actors to a more sensitive person, or at least someone who cares. The opening paragraph is offensive. The rest does not do justice to a superb actor with a very long list of credits. His facial expressions made you feel the pain, fear, horror, happiness of the moment. He was one of the "nice guys" of Hollywood, not scandalous such as the fools of today. He deserves a better remembrance. Would you like your obit to begin with a comment like, "I thought he died a long time ago..."? Next time get some one who cares to write remembrances.

August 31 2006 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply