October 31, 2014

Project Runway: High Flying Fashion

by Annie Wu, posted Aug 31st 2006 12:16PM
Project Runway(S03E08) There was a bit of a mix-up last week, so I'm sorry that you all couldn't come here to vent your frustrations about the previous episode. Boy, oh boy, never has an episode called for so much venting. Vincent thew a basic black dress in with massive beige lapels... and won. The lapels were straight out of the 80s and clown-ish. If the lapels weren't so floppy, I would have liked it a little more. I think he only won because just about everyone else failed to flatter their plus-sized models. So, Robert was booted for being boring again, Vincent won, and Satan roared with laughter as he landed his triple axel jump.

This week, the designers were challenged to create an outfit for an international jetsetter. Everyone wracked their brains, trying to figure out who they'd be designing for, only to have Tim Gunn later pop in to announce that they were actually going to be designing for themselves. Of course, everyone was tremendously excited and had no trouble sketching out exactly what they wanted to work down the runway as they played model for day.

After the runway judging, they were told to go to the airport to demonstrate just how appropriate their outfits are for jetsetters. They flew to Parsons Paris (ahh, studying abroad) with Tim Gunn, where the second guest judge, Catherine Malandino, evaluated how the designers looked right off their flight and threw in the final scores.

Follow along by checking out the designs on "Rate the Runway".

Michael: I loved the pants for this outfit. They were very stylish and easy to travel in. I also loved the fact that Michael was able to alter his original plans to make a jacket so quickly. I have yet to find anything to dislike about this guy. Unless he kicks Heidi in the face some time soon, I don't think there's much of a chance he won't make the Top Three.

Laura: Laura kind of, sort of strayed from her normal high-waisted, crisp creations and made a slightly more playful, lighter dress. I thought the colors complimented her skin and hair beautifully and the dress didn't wrinkle on the flight, but I didn't think it was enough to make her a contender for the win.

Uli: This woman loves her prints and she's not afraid to show it. The judges said that her outfit was great, but it was too location specific (it'd only work in Miami, Los Angeles, the Caribbean, etc.) I didn't really understand that critique... Aren't those the places that most hot jetsetters go to anyway? And couldn't the same criticism be applied to just about all of the designers' outfits (including, Jeffrey's winning design)?

Jeffrey: [WINNER] Although it's understandable that he was upset over the previous episode's nightmare, Jeffrey was still being a real jerk, complaining aloud about Angela's mother in the workroom. Hey, it's a new week. Get over it. I guess he was so elated to be rid of Angela's mom, he forced every once of his creativity into his piece. His outfit fit his rock lifestyle perfectly. The pants were super-slim and very "now", and although his lapels were a feminine shade of purple (what shade isn't?), it looked appropriate and contrasted well with the material. Fully deserving of the win, I think. As Michael slipped just short of winning, he smiled and gave a thumbs up. Did you see that, Jeffrey? That's how you take a loss.

Kayne: [ALMOST OUT] Just when I thought Kayne couldn't be anymore flamboyant, he made this outfit. The judges hated it because it was too "Elvis" and costume-y, but I thought it was very Kayne. The tackiness of it all was off-put by the fact that the microfiber material didn't wrinkle and traveled well.

Vincent: Black shirt, black pajama pants. He shouldn't even be here. Guest judge Francisco Costa said that he liked it, but I don't think his opinion counts 'cause he looked like he was about to fall asleep as he was critiquing everyone.

Angela: [OUT] One word: Finally. After weeks of hanging on by the thinnest (and tackiest) of threads, Angela was finally Auf'd. Her outfit was very appropriate for her personality, so, needless to say, it was ridiculous. The linen made it difficult to wear for travel (who wants to park their ass on rosettes for sixteen hours?) and pretty much sealed the deal for the judges. Even though I really didn't like Angela, I sympathized with her because she had to leave so quickly after just touching down in Paris. That must have sucked worse than not going at all.

Jen

We all miss Santino.

September 06 2006 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melissa

I miss Santino.

September 05 2006 at 5:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cameron Clayton

Remember for them its not a new week, they go elimination, sleep, wake-up, design, sleep, wake-up, design, elimination, which is one of those weird things you have to take into account with reality tv arguments, stupid and childish as they may be.

September 01 2006 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shawn

what i find amusing is michael kors dresses in black from head to toe everyday and yet he didn't like jeffrey's outfit. i thought he would love it! i can't really take anything he says to seriously when his fashion sense for himself is soooo boring. he can design great clothes, why can't He dress better?

September 01 2006 at 9:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eliot

Jeffrey's crotch was ridiculous. It was worse than Elvis, it was Hairband. What was with that runway strip of cheap 'bling' outlining his underparts? And the spandex pants?

Michael has got to be the most attractive, sweet, unassuming, and talented person on this show ever.He's going to go far because he doesn't have the ego problem of Jeffrey. Though I will say that Angela was so annoying and the supposed 'let's be sweet' crap made her worse.

August 31 2006 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

They flew by commercial jet Emily. although according to Tims Podcast, the one they are seen in during the episode is NOT the plane they flew in. It is a new plane that Delta will be using later this year so they had a mockup of the plane be available for filming in (since TSA/FAA doenst allow you to use actual cameras on planes) They then switched to a real plane for actual transportation and it was not as nice as what the new plane.

August 31 2006 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emily

Speaking as a former TSA security screener here...Jeffrey's outfit would be a nightmare to wear through checkpoint at an airport. If whatever that is at the crotch can't be taken off and run through the xray then he is going to get a pat down - maybe he is a latent Vicent and "gets off on it." That phrase is still haunting me.

I have the episode tivo'd. Were they flying by private jet or commerical airliner? That jacket looks tight and uncomfortable as hell to sit in for 9 hours.

August 31 2006 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Tiffany, dont be so quick to decide what Jefferys line would look like if he makes it to the final 3(4)
Look back at Santino last season. We all thought that his line would be standard "out there" Santino but the judges broke him so much that he put out a rather bland line.

August 31 2006 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiffany

Sorry about all the typos--I need to pay more attention when I'm typing

The thing about Jeffrey that bugs me is that I can totally predict what his line will look like if he gets to the final three. It will be solely for people preparing for their next mtv video. Normal people wouldn't wear his clothes. Laura, Michael and Uli could create beautiful designs for a variety of people. I really love Michael's designs and I think one of the reasons is that he seems to be the only one this season really listening to Tim and taking Tim's advice. Go Michael!

August 31 2006 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bex

Actually, the judges had it right when they made Vincent the winner. The dress is hanging up at Macy's Herald Square (Along with all of the previous design winners.) and it's really beautiful. On top of that he made his client happy even though he could barely communicate with her.

The judges pick on Ulli because she makes the same damn thing every time. Even though her clothes are beautiful, she's become a one trick pony. Michael's jacket was actually a shirt. He's my favorite and I hope he wins the whole thing. Or Laura. Her style is classically beautiful and the bump is adorable.

I really liked Kayne's outfit because it was SO Kayne. I was surprised that he hadn't bedazzled anything. I found his outfit to be a little conservative. For him.

Jeffrey is an ass. However, his outfit was the most "jetsetter" of the bunch and deserved the win. Yeah, I didn't get the faux zipper either. Why would a man would want to call attention to an area that small to begin with?

I am so happy Angela is gone. My roommate and I actually cheered. And hi-fived.

August 31 2006 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply