April 24, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 9 Elimination

by Deidre Woollard, posted Aug 31st 2006 7:04AM
rockstar(S02E18) Tonight was the much anticipated (at least by me) chance to see Lukas finally play with Supernova. Is it just me or did the room suddenly turn golden when he took the stage? Now I love Lukas like a fat kid loves cake but I did notice that he doesn't interact with the band as well as Toby did. I still think the goth leprechaun would be better as a solo act.

Toby gets the encore. He sings as if he's got a train to catch. I notice that Lukas is the only one sitting down when Toby comes and sings with the rest of the rockers. It's becoming more and more apparent that Lukas doesn't quite play well with others. While Lukas is better as a solo, Toby really needs the interaction of others in order to thrive. I think if the band were choosing based on who would be the most fun to hang out with Toby would win by a country mile.

The bottom three are Ryan, Lukas and Dilana.

Ryan sings Baba O'Riley. He tells the band he is going to blow their minds but instead he mainly jumps around and screams. His flailing around is a bit embarrassing. He's just an overeager pup, all intensity and yelling.

Storm does Helter Skelter. She jumps around and screams too (is this a last chance to dance type of thing?) but it's somehow less annoying if only because she's so cute.

Dilana sings Psycho Killer which she begins with a truly terrifying a cappella moment. It's better once the music gets going but still, I'm just floored by this one. It's just terrible and it reminds me of all the reasons why I didn't like her in the beginning.

And yet, it's Ryan who gets sent home. I have no idea why they gave Ryan the ax. I can only assume that Dilana's "credit" with the band bought her a free pass this week. His farewell speech to the band is just a touch bitter. And with good reason. After all, the band doesn't give him any decent reason for saying goodbye. I wasn't a fan of the "dark horse" but this should not have been his week.

foreverfan

I was hoping Ryan would make it to the finale. I loved seeing him on television every week. He's such an awesome performer. His voice is mesmerizing. If I can thank Supernova for nothing else, I thank them for bringing Ryan Star on our televisions and letting us hear his voice for a little while. Not long enough for me but I'm a Ryan Star fan for life now and I will continue to support him any way I possibly can. Love him. At least I don't have to stay awake obnoxiously late on Tuesday nights anymore voting my fingers off.

September 04 2006 at 7:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
navalou

I agree with Tammie... "Dilana always sounds the same" every song she sings... I agree with Theresa..."Dilana... I think she is already washed up and can't handle the pressure."

I said early on I didn't think a chick was right for this band and as the comp goes on I think I am being proven right.

I think Toby gels with the band and as he said last night, he knows how to have a bit of fun and touring with Tommy, that has to in the essential criteria category!

September 01 2006 at 3:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammie

I think Toby is awesom. He is definatly the best front man by far , and has a personality also. He gets the crowd rocking. Luckas l agree, looks great but cannot understand a word he sings. Come on people (aussies in particular) lets get behind Toby!!!!!!!
Storm man whats going on with her the last couple of weeks. Dilana always sounds the same & magdni, too nice of a guy , don't think he would last the distance travelling!!!!!! " Go TOBY"

September 01 2006 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

I was perfectly coherent. As I said, they proved me wrong...they're even DUMBER than the dull tools in the shed. Seems to be a trend.

If you're going to accuse someone of being incoherent, you should probably be coherent yourself, as you said. And you shouldn't try and pick on people's grammar skills when you obviously have none yourself.

August 31 2006 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lorraine

Even though I'm from Toronto (same as Lukas) I can't see him as the lead singer for Supernova. He looks like a troll and his voice is painful to listen to (it does indeed sound like he is on the verge of vomiting with every note he sings). I adore Toby who seems like he would be a great team player. Storm is gorgeous, has a great voice and would bring a new audience to the old fellas in the band. Dilana has gotten very sad (although perhaps the show's producers have played a hand in scripting her maudlin downfall to encourage that Omarosa-type silliness to keep the fans interested in her crazy downhill slide). Magny is the classiest and most talented of the bunch and would bring a real international appeal to the three has-beens. I can't wait to see the final outcome, no matter how phoney and contrived they make the rest of this contest. I'm completely hooked!!!

August 31 2006 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lisa

as for dilana, it takes balls to apologize so give her credit. no one is perfect, she has a point. i would love to see her take the lead and put these boys in their places. as for magni and toby, you 3 will make it to the finals and its going to be a tearjerker. sorry lukas, youre just not manly enough. at first i thought you would be the lead but you just dont have it in you and storm, you hand tough but just not fit for the gig. peace to you all. it has to be tough. thanks for keeping it real.

August 31 2006 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doug

Ryan has been a poseur from the start, but they should have jetisoned the guy after that silly 'throw the guitar' moment a couple of weeks ago, right after the band told Magni he should have considered it in his performance. It was shocking that they did not call the guy on that.

It's funny that a Coldplay song was chosen for him, because though I think that he ruined it by all his silly stage antics, he actually *looks* like a guy who should be fronting a Coldplay like band, as opposed to Supernova. But really - he sucked last night with Baba O'Reilly, and voted himself off with his clumsy climb the equipment moves. If you think that Dilana messed up with Psycho Killer, truly Ryan was worse.

He simply is not right for this band, and he has little talent to boot.

I actually thought that Dilana did a great version of Psycho Killer last night, but that may be because I love the song. It's certainly not something that Supernova will do. But she really did not belong in the bottom three based onthe previous night - her Mother, Mother was far better than what Lukas did.

By now I think that the band would be fine with either Dilana or Toby fronting them. Magni is a nice guy, but he's just not the right guy for this band, and Lukas has the look but simply cannot sing well enough. And Storm is beautiful and has a great voice, but, again, I just cannot see her fronting this band. She'd be better doing something else, I think.

August 31 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Big D

The fact that Magni was not in the bottom three does not have to mean that he had the most votes of everyone, just that he was never in the bottom three. Example:Toby was in the bottom three early but could have ended up with the most votes at the end.

August 31 2006 at 2:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie

ok normally I don't bag on other's post but when you accuse people of being stupid it is imperative that you, yourself are coherent. So that being said, Sharpest Tool in the Shed Dude, your post in fact, is stating that Supernova is the sharpest tool in the shed. Not to mention your subjects and plurals are just a mess. I love the show, love the guys and love the singers. It's all good.

August 31 2006 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Well, to be a rock star, you do need more than a great voice and stage presence, which are the only things Dilana has. I'd put my money on Lucas, because if not crumbling under the pressure of half the people hating you and the other half loving you shows that you can handle it, he sure has handled it! Dilana would probably become insufferable. I believe in second chances, but in such a tight competition, there's no room for second chances. Besides, she can't write a song for nuts. The others, they're cool, they're great, but the only one with the attitude and the charisma - a very rare combination - to pull this off and handle it, and make the band his is Lucas. Besides, what price his stage presence? He owns the stage, every time.

August 31 2006 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply