October 25, 2014

British TV film to portray fake Bush assassination

by Joel Keller, posted Sep 1st 2006 3:29PM
Channel 4Imagine what would happen if, in this highly tense and prickly time in the country's history, the president was assassinated. That's what the UK's Channel 4 will examine in a new movie called Death of a President. The movie, shot in documentary format, will be a fictionalized account of the investigation following the assassination of George W. Bush, who will be shown being killed by a sniper in Chicago. Digital mock-ups will allow the movie producers to show a realistic-looking picture of the incident.

The purpose of the movie is to show what the implications such an event would have in a world where we can't take shampoo on an airplane. The investigation in the movie will focus on a Syrian-born man, who may or may not be the person who did the deed. The movie will be shown on Channel 4's digital channel and will also be shown at the Toronto Film Festival.

Of course, showing a real president, especially one as controversial as Bush, getting assassinated is a risky move. Not sure if any US outlet is going to have the fortitude to show this movie over here.

erroneous_nick

Avoiding any political rantings, I think it's unforgivingly distasteful. If the point is to show the implication such an event would have in "the world of today", then a fictionalized assassination of a fictional president would more than suffice. This is just another thinly disguised political statement hiding behind a weak excuse.

September 03 2006 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I'm sorry, while you might be able to say that the office deserves the ultimate respect, you certainly can't say that the person occupying the office automatically deserves the same respect. Especially if he is fundamentally ignorant on most of the issues affecting our country and our country's interaction with the world. Especially if his mental health is in serious question (he thinks god talks to him, and no I am not being facetious). Not if he surrounds himself with people whose connections to big business have clearly and irrevocably affected their political decisions (Condi's connection to big oil, Cheney's connection to Halliburton, a few others).

All that being said, I don't think the solution to the massive problem that is our commander in chief is to assasinate him. That is going a wee bit far, after all he will be out of office in 2 years. I certainly don't think it is disrespectful for someone to create a fictional account of his assasination though. It's fiction people!!!! Get over yourselves!

September 02 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

I agree with both Dave and Douglin. I think it is offensive that the leader of our country is being put to death (even if just fictionally) for the sake of a counter-point to his policy, not to mention the fact that it's a British production. I think that this goes a big step farther than criticizing (adamently, even) his position on certain matters. That being said, they're making movies about 9/11 and other hypothetical yet realistic doomsday (a hyperbole) scenarios. They also lampoon the President all over the media. One thing's for sure: I'd rather read a letter about how much someone disagrees with me or dislikes me than see a movie (or even a picture) of me being murdered.
And if anyone thinks that the Channel 4 movie's plot ought to unfold, please don't flame.

September 01 2006 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe W.

Agree or disagree, the office and the person occupying it still deserve the utmost respect. It unnerves me when I hear negative comments. This film crosses the line of common decency.....

September 01 2006 at 7:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Douglin

Which is more disrespectful, showing how the worlld would change if he died, or Jon Stewart showing how dumb he is 4 nights a week?

September 01 2006 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Woods

First of all, what President is not controversial? Most elections are very close which means that a large minority did not vote for him. In fact many presidential elections end with none of the candidates getting more than a 50 percent vote. That being said, does anyone one else find this totally offensive? Like him or not, he is our President and deserves a little more respect than this.

September 01 2006 at 4:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply