September 22, 2014

Heroes -- an early look

by Keith McDuffee, posted Sep 1st 2006 4:13PM
nbc heroes
OK, so this isn't really a very early review, since the pilot episode appears on iTunes today, but since Heroes officially premieres on NBC on September 25, this works.

We caught an early look at this show back in June, but since we were told the copy was "not for review," I left my initial impressions pretty light. But now I guess the gloves come

I think the premise has been discussed to death, but I'll give it to you quick. Think a TV version of M. Night Shyamalan's 'Unbreakable', only there are multiple hero-types in different locations around the world, and for most of them their powers are quite a bit more defined than Bruce Willis's super-stong man in the movie.

So far the powers these people possess are pretty boring -- no eyeball flames, metal claws or altered forms. In fact, there are some (one in particular that deals with mirrors) that I have a hard time figuring out how they'd benefit someone in a superhero way. I guess this makes sense, though, as these people are suddenly finding this powers at seemingly the same time -- no puberty causing these to come forth like in many comic books.

One thing you learn from the pilot is that there seems to be an overall sinister plan that will eventually call for these heroes to unite and defeat somehow. It's not clear if this reveal is the "big bad" of the season or if it's just something that we'll see resolved within a couple of episodes or so.

You'll also see that in some strange ways, every one of these people seems to have a Lost-like relationship to one another. I can't really say a whole lot more without giving away too much.

The first episode ends with a shocker that I just didn't see coming, and I'd love to hear from you if you genuinely figure it out. Though hopefully my saying there's a shocker won't give anything away there.

This show really is a tough call from only seeing the first episode. It has that overall feeling that, if they continue with the current feeling of the show, people will lose interest. At the same time, though, you see bits and pieces that make you see a definite promise, parts where you hope the writers continue to play off of. For example, more of those shockers throughout the season.

I'll do a more thorough review once the season starts. I really, really want this to be a good show, and I can see NBC is doing all it can to promote it. The fact that they've been fiercely hyping this show and showing it early does worry me, though, as it seems they're genuinely as afraid as I am that it could tank.

So, have you watched it yet? What're your thoughts?

scififan9009

This is the best show to hit television since BSG. There's a preview of the next episode here:

October 20 2006 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dwacon_com

I am just happy that SciFi is rerunning the episodes since schedules conflict on Monday nights.

dwacon

October 13 2006 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
teek

Did iTunes pull Heroes? I cannot find it on there.

September 07 2006 at 5:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LA Dave

The Heroes on iTunes is only free with a promo code from a movie theater. You cannot get it without going to a local AMC, Regal or Cinemark theaters and getting a promo card.
Each code is unique it can't be reused.

September 05 2006 at 12:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marco Garbelini

I love supers, can't get enough of them. When I heard about Heroes I got really excited but after seeing the pilot I had the impression they are not taking it seriously. It seems that they think the superpower thing can make it fly by itself (no pun intended). It can't. The characters are in general extremely boring and inconsistent. What makes a show great is NEVER the idea but the writing. My favorite example now is Veronica Mars: worse idea ever turned into the best show ever. Heroes might be a good idea but this is just not enough.

PS.: I liked the "internet lady" and the cheerleader. Happy people sucks.

September 02 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

24 minutes later and still not on itunes. LYING LITTLE NBC LIARS!!!! Can someone put it on youtube already!

September 02 2006 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

yeha I don;t see the pilot either. Any ideas or youtube links?

September 02 2006 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

Where in the darn it is it on iTunes!?

September 02 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lee

i loved the pilot,but the cheerleader was a bit weak. otherwise,i say this will be a huge hit this fall

September 02 2006 at 7:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Does it say that all of the main characters will be heroes? It'd be interesting to see the making of a villain too so to speak.

September 02 2006 at 5:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply