October 20, 2014

Top 10 movies based on TV shows

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 1st 2006 8:34AM
serenityJoBlo, a website that respects Fight Club as much as I do, has a great list of the Top 10 movies based on television shows. For the most part, I agree with it. Except there is one major oversight: What about The Muppets? The Muppet Movie didn't make the list and, quite frankly, I'm baffled. I think it should totally replace The Naked Gun, which weighs in at #4. What-ever. The rest of the list looks good, however. It includes everything from last year's Serenity to Wayne's World to The Untouchables.

I'm going to list his Top 10 after the jump, but I highly recommend you go on over and read it and then come back and tell me if you think they forgot something. If you say Dukes of Hazzard or Starsky & Hutch... so help me... I'll reach through your computer and slap you!

10. Serenity (Firefly)
9. Twilight Zone: The Movie
8. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
7. Wayne's World
6. South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
5. Mission: Impossible
4. The Naked Gun (Police Squad)
3. The Blues Brothers
2. The Fugitive
1. The Untouchables

Joaquín Abreu

I believe that Mission Impossible shouldn't be anywhere close to this list. Let's face it, all the philosophy of a well made team who does the most outrages plots to make the mission succesful is all thrown away. The movie is all based on Tom Cruise... and in the end... one of the best bosses in TV History is the bad guy? Making this new agent the leader... Enough said!

June 07 2008 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

It's not a feeling, you insulted me about *my* opinions, as I've seen you do several times in the short period I've been registered here.

Just regarding this netflix piece you attack me twice. After I stated I found it unlikely that many people would pay netflix to see some low-rated NBC shows you said: "Nick, what an ignorant statment to make." Attacking my intelligence rather than keeping on topic or RESPECTFULLY disagreeing.

Later in your same post, responding to my statement that I don't subscribe to Netflix and never will: "And why such the pompous attitude towards Netflix? Its a great service if you rent any load of films. Or are you just hurt that not everything is handed to you for free and now you have to wait to see it when it airs?"

I don't subscribe to Netflix because my family doesn't watch many movies and I have a close family friend who owns a rental store around the corner from my home. You instead, decided to take my opinions and mount a personal attack.

It's a pattern I've seen of yours. It is you, not myself or the other kind posters you attack with personal insults, who are feeling damaged by people with differing opinions. It belies a childishness I usually see in my children and others their age.

Your latest attack about taking things up with my "own personal self" (a nonsensical statement at best), is what used to be called "the pot calling the kettle black". Although in this case I've never slung personal insults at you for your opinions of these articles or the shows they're about, I've only defended myself when attacked, and I will not let a PERSONAL attack go undefended.

If you wish to disagree, that's great, but do it without finding a way to make it personal. Do it without making assumptions about the posters' personal lives of which you know nothing. In other words, try a little restraint and maturity.

September 05 2006 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

It is not my fault you feel my opinions are attacking you. Take that up with your own personal self. My issue is plain and simple. Serenity was a terrible film. Joss is not the greatest thing ever. When he has full control things are terrible, when he has great minds working with him he is great.

September 05 2006 at 2:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mase

No BRADY BUNCH? Definitely should replace NAKED GUN!~

September 05 2006 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

So, Akbar, you have "reasons" why Serenity is no good, but those of us who like it are "kissing Joss' ass". That's just insulting. You seem to have a habit of attacking others in these comments sections. Most of us post comments about the articles and I wish everyone would stop the personal attacks on each other. I've been a registered member of this site for just over 4 weeks and you've already managed to attack me once.

September 04 2006 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

So what Joey, I am not allowed to have my own opinion and share it? At least I can back up my claims as to why I feel Serenity is crap instead of lining up and kissing Joss' ass like all of you do.

September 03 2006 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

We are thoroughly aware that you don't understand the greatness that is Serenity, Akbar, you don't need to continuously remind us of that.

Twilight Zone: The Movie!!!! Are they serious?

September 02 2006 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I agree that "Serenity" should be higher on that list, but being on the list is better than the alternative. I would also like to see "The Muppet Movie" there, perhaps removing that dreck known as "Wayne's World" to make room.

September 01 2006 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Kingston Pierce

C'mon, nobody's mentioned MAVERICK, the 1994 theatrical release based on James Garner's 1957-1962 TV series? Hard to believe. Sure, Mel Gibson, who starred in the movie version, has turned out to be something of a nutjob, but the film--which also starred Jodie Foster and Garner himself--still merits a place on any list of TV shows that were actually made into good flicks.

September 01 2006 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Sassone

The Fugitive is an incredibly overrated movie. Great TV show though.

September 01 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply