September 19, 2014

Battlestar Galactica webisodes: The Resistance

by Jen Creer, posted Sep 5th 2006 4:02PM
BSG Seal(Webisode 1) The first Battlestar Galactica webisode premiered at midnight, Tuesday September 5, 2006 on Sci-Fi.com. The next one will be on at midnight Thursday September 7,2006 (so that really means you'll want to stay up later tomorrow night -- Wednesday).

Confused yet? Well, if you miss it, you'll probably be able to catch it on YouTube the next day. or Sci Fi itself. So far, I've seen it both places.

I am out of my mind excited for the return of Battlestar Galactica, so I will eagerly watch any little webisode snippets they want to give us. These usually run for under three minutes -- if you've caught them for The Office, you know the drill. We get these little morsels until we are drooling and have attached ourselves to our televisions with suction cups for the premiere (Friday October 6, check your local listings for the time in your area of the country).

In this little morsel, we meet three little-known characters: An attractive, blonde young couple who are trying to conceive a baby, and a single young man (who was a tech on Battlestar, and teamed with Apollo to go after the cylons when they boarded the Galactica). They have been hanging out with Chief, Cally, their new baby, and Tigh. Chief and Tigh want the single young man to see how Duck, the young blonde guy, feels about a resistance movement against the cylons. So, between the title and this snippet, we can surmise that now, 67 days into Cylon-occupied New Caprica, people are getting fed up and want to fight back.

I have mixed feelings about the introduction of these three, little-seen before characters. Okay, granted, the main characters probably don't have enough man-power to overtake the Cylons. There will have to be new characters to help, and the show's creators are going to want us to care about these characters. Cally and Chief have a baby now -- the stakes are higher. Our folks are truly living in a world in which repopulating the species is going to be important. Am I the only one bothered by the Aryan appearance of this young couple? It just kind of creeps me out when blonde people talk about reproducing because I saw Europa, Europa at an impressionable age. (Full disclosure: I am the blonde-blue-eyed mother to blonde-blue-eyed children).

But Battlestar's darkness is one of the reasons I find it so compelling. We get more snippets -- Adama saying he needs to go back, Dualla yelling at Apollo, Kara behind bars, her husband saying that Adama isn't coming back -- and Roslin explaining that it is important to show the children that somebody fought back.

I just hope the show maintains its complicated character relationships and doesn't dissolve into a darkly lit battlezone and nothing but strategies. I don't know about you, but I find the tension between Kara and Lee, the wacko romance between Gaius and Six, and Sharon's ambiguity toward humanity (compared to Boomer's undying loyalty) to be, by far, the most compelling elements of the show.

I would like to see more of that. Soon.

annabelll

question - this webisodes contain any spoilers for the 3'rd season? or are they harmless season promos?

September 09 2006 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JScott

Just saw the second (we all must be nuts, i literally hit enter on my browser at 12 seconds past midnight, I wonder what kind of spike the sci site gets ; )
2nd was kinda skimpy compared to the first, but after months w/o i am not complaining. yeah they're rations, but rations are edible.

September 07 2006 at 12:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shirley cooper

I did not get a chance to see the webisode but am thrilled that they are inspiring people to watch BSG.
I am in love with this dark drama and the rich characters who keep me enthralled. .. I am truly looking forward to seeing more of Chief Tyrol and am glad they are keeping his character very visible. I love the chief's vulnerability and also his strengths when it comes to getting down to what's important. I hope to see more of his interaction with Sharon and also starbuck. this looks to be a very exciting new season. . .

September 06 2006 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

That was not bad at all. 2 webisodes a week will keep me interested. And the guy looked like he was Irish, not blonde.

September 05 2006 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

Right now, the true torment for me regarding BSG is not being able to get the webisode to load. I'll try again later in the evening, but if it doesn't begin moving along by then I'll be forced to eat my monitor.

September 05 2006 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

adhonus: There was music. But it was very very low key.
It is hard to tell the difference between the music and the background noises but it is defintely there.

For the record of the article: The tech character is named "Jammer"

September 05 2006 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SeanTubbs

This was fantastic, I thought.

Duck was in Scar, I believe, and has been a background character for ages. I actually was surprised to see any of the major characters in this. In two and a half minutes, this set the stage for me to be glued to scifi.com as each episode is posted.

One observation about the webisode - I don't believe there was any incidental music in this, or at least, it was pretty low key. I wonder if that is because of rights' issues?

September 05 2006 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Thanks for the corrections!

I am pretty sure still the pilot is "Duck" who we have seen once or twice before. His wife is totally new.

Aryan? Duck looks to be a red head man to me. Hardly fitting the blonde aryan stereotype.

I am going to have to disagree on these characters. Since so far there is only 1 new character (and I doubt she will be big, more than likely she will die real soon and force Duck into the resistance) but a character drama has always been Galacticas strong suit (which you agree with) Discounting these lower characters just because they arent the heavies of the series is not very fair.

September 05 2006 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Corrections have been sent in for this article. I want to discuss but wont do so until they are fixed.

September 05 2006 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply