April 21, 2014

Eureka: Right as Raynes

by Will O'Brien, posted Sep 5th 2006 10:24PM
Carter and Allison stuck to the magnetized fence
(S1E08) Eureka has taken several science fiction premises and brought them to life in new ways. This weeks Eureka revisits an old favorite, but only lets on to it just when you think it's something else. Aside from the nicely delivered plot, we're treated to loads of great character interaction. It's definitely a fun SciFi ride, especially if you've been following the show.

Thankfully, this episode leaves the order issues behind. I liked that the symptoms of the problem don't tip us off to the bad guy/science project gone awry. They're related, but oh so deliciously edge around the issue.

Zoe and Carters clash during the show really brings out their issues. Previous episodes left it out, and I'm glad to see them get into it. Was it just me or did she look like Raggedy Ann?

Jo kissing and punching Calister reminds me of a line from our dear departed Firefly: "Have you ever made love to a warrior woman?"

The fence scene was just inspired. It was hilarious and it satisfied my cheesy romantic center. I loved and hated it when Jo tells them that she shut off the fence.

Once again we get some more insight into Stark. It's certainly intriguing when Mr. Work until you keel over actually takes a day off. Until they revealed what really happened, I figured that Calister had been the subject of some sort of kooky experiment. The entire plot was a great way for Carter and Stark to actually respect each other a bit more. Carter and Stark usually clash, but it's good to see them work together for once.

I realy enjoyed this episode of Eureka. It delivered, made me laugh and kept me guessing. My only gripe is that the computer card looked like a video card from my old 486. I expect Eureka tech to have escaped PCI cards dammit!

scott miller

ugo.com revied Right as Raynes and indicated that it was a lousey issue. I am glad that I opened up your site and found that I was not the only one that really enjoyed the show. In particular, I like David Paetkau, and really hope that he is brought back in future shows. All they would have to do is "re-boot" him and fix his short circuit !

November 30 2006 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frustrated

Someone give me a hand - my DVR cut off RIGHT at the end of this episode and I need to know what happenned. What went down after Raynes and Zoe got in the car together?

September 10 2006 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

This show is a gem. The Eureka website is a hoot, especially the Made in Eureka videos. Sci Fi finally has a show that I like. Not too dark, a little humor, but still mystery.

September 08 2006 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

I love the show, the twist on Calister being an AI rather than having a techno device was a pleasant surprise. Stark not selling a device and claiming he didn't know how this one worked and couldn't recreate it.

But every time I see at Colin Ferguson I think of the guy from Dirty Jobs on discovery channel, Mike Rowe.

September 08 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cynthia Ragle

Stark gets to be a nice guy????? Hmmmm. That was interesting! The fence was great, Henry putting out the fire, this is Eureka. Henry fixing the stop light, this is Eureka. Funny thing is, have any of you ever been to Eureka? Eaten in Eureka? The high school episode, anyone notice, those are Eureka High School colors? Fun stuff. Love this series.

September 06 2006 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Liz

Man, I'm definitely enjoying this show more than I thought I would be, which is gonna make Tuesdays at 9 kinda tough this season. (Dammit, Sci Fi- if this show had just been crappy and cheesy like I'd planned, I would've been able to give it up in time for Veronica Mars!)

September 06 2006 at 1:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan Chichian

Boy am I glad that House starts at 8 for September because it would be a hard choice for me on which to watch. I am actually surprised at this since I don't think i have watched anything on the SciFi channel in years and then it was a syndicated show.

How long does the season run for Eureka?

September 06 2006 at 9:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SuperFan Ken

I think this show is special. If they keep it up, it will be one of the classic Sci-Fi shows we look back to.
I'm so glad it's on Sci-Fi and not Showtime. On Sci-Fi it will have a real chance of running it's course, instead of getting canceled when the Execs get board with it (like on Showtime... remember Stargate?)

September 06 2006 at 6:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carissa

This show is so inspired in its comedic timing and Colin Ferguson is fantastic to watch. I've really enjoyed it and I sincerely hope it's in for another season. It so deserves the chance to grow even more. Every episode delivers something different, and I can honestly say I didn't see the twist coming today. Not even when a certain scene could have given it away - I went in a more compartmentalized direction, and was wrong! I loved being wrong because it meant good writing. Please let Sci-Fi realize the long-term value of this show!!

September 06 2006 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

What a great episode. This show really just gets better and better. Colin Ferguson must be thanking his lucky stars every day that the American "Coupling" was cancelled--there's no way that show could have given him the opportunities to shine that this show does. "Eureka" allows him to do action, romance, comedy--all in one show, and he comes off as incredibly engaging throughout.

Oh, and I'm still laughing over Fargo's Sarah Michele Gellar doll. But I'm puzzling over the Eureka "wireless internet"--don't they mean an intranet? Or was Bush right, and there really are multiple internets?

September 05 2006 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply