September 2, 2014

The Closer: Overkill (season finale)

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 5th 2006 1:15AM
the closer
(S02E13) Well, I'm glad this season has come to an end. While I loved the first half, the second half just seemed to lose its steam. It's as though there were two teams of writers or something. The culmination of the season came tonight and it wasn't that great. Sure, we got to see more of Fritz and some of the minor characters got a few good lines in (Provenza's "Miss Scarlett to the rescue" line was great), but it was just like any one of the last 4-5 episodes. Nothing special. And the end? Well, although I didn't solve the case, I did see it coming with the Crown Royal bag and that's what the entire episode built up to, wasn't it?

Fritz and Brenda are called to the same case, which surprisingly does not cause any tension in their relationship. An FBI agent is killed at a safe house but so is the wife of a protected witness. The FBI and the LAPD are at odds over who gets to investigate. The agent is FBI jurisdiction but apparently the wife of a protected witness is under the LAPD's jurisdiction. Brenda gets pushy and 'Fritzie' gets the uncomfortable luck of being in the middle of it. Even Chief Pope shows up to the scene and aggressively takes Brenda's side against Fritz and the FBI agents, although his reasons are questionable considering his season-long crush on Brenda.

Brenda gets the protected witness in her custody but only for 48 hours until he has to testify against a crime family. Poor Fritz becomes the FBI liaison as Brenda and the team investigate the murders. He gets pushed around by the detectives, even though he's trying to cooperate, although it seems clear that he's only cooperating because Brenda is his live-in girlfriend.

Brenda gets to question the mafia guy who is about to go on trial and, as she's obsessing over his cannolis, she learns that FBI Agent Tim Hecht has been communicating with the mafia fella that was identified as the shooter. Brenda calls Det. Flynn on his cell phone and he lures Hecht into the kitchen, where he pulls a gun on him and arrests the agent. I totally got a kick out of Provenza's relationship with the witness, DeLuca. They're like a couple of good ol' boys together. Anyway, the investigation points to Hecht and things get super uncomfortable for poor Fritz. And how about when he gets shut out of the interview? Brenda says, "You better sit this one out. I'm gonna do a little bit of what I do to you at home." In other words, she's blaming Fritz and the FBI for the agent's arrest and is pretending to be on his side. When she questions him, he can explain why he went to Flagstaff for 48 hours but he can't explain why he's been in contact with the mafia guy's attorney.

As Brenda and Fritz are leaving the police department to check on their missing cat, they learn that the witness's wife had an abortion and didn't miscarry her baby like her husband said she did. Oh, and the kitty came back and Fritz made a comment about having their backs turned, which leads Brenda to solve the case.

In order to get her confessions, Brenda puts DeLuca and Hecht in the same room together and gets Hecht to admit that he helped DeLuca's wife get an abortion. And here's where it gets confusing. My head was spinning as Brenda unraveled it all, but let's just say that Marty DeLuca set up the hit because the FBI trusted him too much. He ends up grabbing Provenza's gun (gee, who didn't see that coming?) and shooting Hecht dead and taking Provenza hostage. But, Det. Sanchez is behind DeLuca as he leaves the investigation room and shoots the guy to death.

We don't have to wait another year for new episodes of The Closer. It returns in December.

D. Bliss

Finally! I am assuming from reading all of the past comments that the closer WILL be coming back this December??? This seems to be the only place that has that information...I couldn't find it on TNT's website. I have emailed TNT several times, but they have yet to answer any questions. I finally asked why they had a website that had a place for questions if they never answered them?? They didn't answer that either... Oh well. Anyway, thanx to this website, I will be looking forward to seeing The Closer in December!

November 09 2006 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MARIA

The closer has been one of those few tv programs that make you feel excited to see the new episode. It is so well presented, the characters are extremely well performed. I hope that this program substitues Law and Order soon...Puerto Rico

October 02 2006 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susanne Lee

I love The Closer! There has never been a TV show I thought worthy of purchasing DVD's; but this show is worth the buy. I'm just sorry that I missed the season finale. If it had been at all possible, I would have cancelled my trip to Israel just to watch it. Unfortunately, that was not possible. Guess, I will just have to look for the reruns.

September 20 2006 at 12:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane

I think the CLoser is one of the best shows on tv. All of the stories are great. There is always a little twist, and you say "WOW". I love the suroprise ending where the mother shots the doctor who killed her son. I was speechless.
The cast is great because you have a mixture of ages and personalities. The baseball episode was so funny. I don't know why we have to wait until December. Can't that show reruns. I have the dvd of the first season, so I guess I'll have to be satisfied.

September 20 2006 at 11:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alyson

I think the last two episodes should have been switched. The second to last episode was more of a season finale. Though I though somebody from the PMT was going to get shot, not the bad guy. That would have been a season finale. A does he/she live cliff hanger that would have to wait for next season.

September 07 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caitlin

I love The CLOSER! I must agree though, the season finale wasn't that great. I did like seeing Brenda/Fritz together more. I love the CLOSER, but hopefully next season will be just as good as this past one, minus about 2 episodes!

September 07 2006 at 4:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordy

Such a ho-hum episode. I was dissapointed. I enjoyed the last two [the 'by the books' coroner & Pope's ex were highlight scenes] but this one was just okay.

September 06 2006 at 1:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dani

Umm, I'm a first time watcher to this show and I can't tell you how hooked I was when I saw this episode last night. And to think I missed an entire's day worth of repeats of the show before discovering it. I could just kick myself. Anywho, if this episode was only "good" and not "great" by your definition, I can't wait to see the others.

September 05 2006 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deborah

I think what makes the show great is the chemistry within Brenda's team and I want to see more of that. They are all great. I think the person above meant Lt. Tao, not Lt. Kim. Tao had his moment in the episode about the immigrant and the man murdering his wives.

I think what causes the show to lose steam is, as comments about the last episode mentioned, is too much Fritz, with whom I don't think she has ANY chemistry, and too much Pope (although I finally liked him in this last episode, crush or no crush).

I think it's highly unrealistic that an FBI agent in a relationship with a cop would be assigned to work on the same case, and he ALWAYS seems to be hanging around the headquarters with nothing to do.
The plots themselves are good but the annoying sidelines detract. Take a leaf out of the old Law & Order formula and focus on the investigation.

If they want to build up more and new tension, consider Flynn and Johnson. Does anyone remember Anthony Denison (Lt. Flynn) from the TV shows Crime Story, which takes place in the 50's, where he is a mobster and Dennis Farina was the cop after him? There's untapped potential there.

September 05 2006 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara P

For all those women out there who care about the really important matters of this show: What was that wonderful shade and brand of lipstick that Brenda wore at the beginning of the show? I'd kill (not really) for it. How do we find out these production details?

September 05 2006 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply