December 20, 2014

Nip/Tuck: Cindy Plumb (season premiere)

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Sep 6th 2006 6:37AM

Julian McMahon and Dylan Walsh

(S04E01) Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else find it hard to believe that we're already beginning the fourth season of Nip/Tuck? I feel like this show just started yesterday and here we are on the 45th episode of this spectacular series. I guess time flies when you're having fun. And by "fun" I mean boob jobs, unprotected sex, and botox. Lots of botox.

We pick up roughly six months after the disappearance of The Carver. Oddly enough, Quentin wasn't mentioned once in the entire episode. Although he was alluded to briefly. For those of you wondering where I got the six months from? Julia's pregnancy. She's in her second trimester and as I recall, she got pregnant near the end of season three. So five, six, maybe seven months we're picking it up?

Anyway, this episode introduced a lot of new characters. Most notably Burt Landau and his wife Michelle. Burt comes to the McNamara/Troy practice looking to get some testicle implants following his recovery from prostate cancer. The implants he has right now just aren't cutting it anymore. That notion right there seems to be a theme for the season though: feeling unfulfilled. No one is this cast seems to be satisfied right now.

Christian, tired of his one-night stands and nervous about comments regarding his sexuality, is finally seeing a therapist. Played by Brooke Shields, Dr. Faith Wolper is equally willing to lecture Christian about his miscues in life and and then let him screw her on her desk. Hey... she's a therapist. It's a start. But his self-reformation doesn't stop there. Conscious of his very "metro-sexually styled" apartment, Christian has a decorator turn it around. Anyone else think the new apartment looked practically the same?

Sean seems to be in the same boat, but for different reasons. His pseudo-marriage to Julia is great, but the sex is a real chore with how pregnant she is. This leads to Sean ringing up Cindy Plumb (Kathleen Turner), a phone sex operator that Sean recently gave a "voice-lift" to. Everyone's out for instant gratification.

Beyond all this, there were two major plot points that are guaranteed to play a role throughout this entire season. The first being Sean and Julia's baby. He's a boy, but he's been diagnosed with ectrodactyly. Or the more negatively-termed "lobster-claw syndrome." It's a rare malformation of the hands and feet where fingers and toes don't form correctly. It'll be interesting to see how it develops once the poor kid is born, especially since Sean admitted to Christian that he would have supported an abortion had he known of the condition sooner.

The other major development was the sale of McNamara/Troy to Burt Landau. While Burt was under the knife, his wife was impressed with how Christian worked and later told her husband to purchase the business. This could spell success and more money for Sean and Christian since Burt is known for taking medical establishments or all kinds and turning them into cash cows. "He eats paper planes and shits out space shuttles" is how Christian put it. Of course, this could all back-fire since Christian also just wants to get in Michelle's pants.

Other stuff:

• Julia plans to sell her shares in the spa to Gina, so that when the baby is born she can devote herself to him. Sean will have more time too now that the sale of the practice is complete.
  • What's the deal with Liz though? Is she splitting her time between the spa and McNamara/Troy?
  • Matt? Nothing, huh? Didn't he kill a white-supremacist last season? There had better be some backlash from that...

Oh and I almost forgot. Keeping with the tradition of always making my jaw drop, Nip/Tuck has now given me reason to start a list of things I never thought I'd hear Larry Hagman say. This week's gem?

"My balls are no longer proportionate to my wang."

Christopher

You all should be ashamed.

Basically you are willing to forfit the love of a show or the characters because they might turn out gay.

So basically everyone here is homophobes. Well as Christian is demonstrating, people who are extremely homophobic are usually masking some internal doubts of heterosexuality.

Even still, if they remain straight then they do, if they don't they dont, quit whining about it.

September 25 2006 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Candice

I hope Sean and Christian hook up. I know they won't, but it'd be extremely interesting. If you watch Seasons 1 thru 3 with the knowledge that Christian is in love with Sean, the undertones thathave been written in are strong, almost in a Hemmingway "Brothers in Arms" way.

September 18 2006 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
corey

I recorded the premier of season 4 on my tivo and before I could watch it, the tivo erased it!!!! If anyone knows when it may re-air or how I can watch it before the season goes on too far so We're not lost all season--HELP!!!

September 15 2006 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Christian didnt screw blue modai doggie style

September 14 2006 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
garr

it maybe interesting that christian turns out gay, and its possible christian like men and women but after the experience with his father he has developed homophobe and he has never though in a man to be his boyfriend.in addition christian has a problem with sex and the solution can be accepted the sex not only with women

September 14 2006 at 7:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debby caven

I have been eagerly awaiting the season premiere. It was worth the wait. This show is like no other. I have to say I think the acting is great and the stories so original. Christian has the best lines. Some of the scenes make me laugh out loud. It would be devastating to find that Christian is gay. It also makes no sense from everything the first three seasons have shown. I think it has been very clear that Christian and Sean have a very special relationship, one that many people would like to have. I still remember when Sean confronted Christian about being Matt's biological father and the comment he makes as he is punching him "I loved you the most". I think that says it all. They are and have been best friends and have gone through a lot of experiences throughout the years; good, bad, and ugly. I agree with tv junkie. Christian and Sean's relationship is probably the only good one he has and Julia is taken.

September 13 2006 at 8:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

ok thats gay.You want to see christian get plowed in the ass?WEIRD..If he turns out gay hes gonna be the one plowing not getting plowed besides hell figure out hes not gay anyway.

September 11 2006 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Oh, come on! You all knew that Christian had to be gay. A straight guy that gets that much play is only trying to convince himself otherwise. I've seen it a hundred times.

September 11 2006 at 2:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scotto

I can't wait until the homo-sex heats up! First, Christian checking out Mario Lopez in a couple of episodes and then...hopefully...getting plowed by Sean. I'll totally get into it, and it will be made even better by you homophobes' freaking out!

September 10 2006 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

The season permiere deeply dissapointed me!Ok one good thing was Brooke Shields getting pounded in the ass but other than that god damn!I mean christian to be gay!Wat tha hell!There so suppose to be some shower seen woth mario lopez or somthing like witch sux.Also,sean calling the sex line!Wats up with that now?Is he turning crazy while Christian gay!Also,Julia is leaving this season and i swear Matt better stay away from Kimber!Then we got the good looking black lady who runs thier practice now really seem to astonish chrisitian.He cant seem to keep his eye off her wich maybe suggest the gay storyline is short and he figues hes straight!I AM TELLING YOU RIGHT NOW IF CHRISTIAN TURNS OUT GAY I AINT NEVER WATCHING NIP/TUCK AGAIN!

September 08 2006 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply