July 23, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 10 Performances

by Deidre Woollard, posted Sep 6th 2006 1:40AM
(S02E19) This week we learn what the watchers of webisodes have known all along, Dilana can't write songs and Lukas doesn't think he needs to try too hard. Both Lukas and Dilana are talented and have been fan favorites since the beginning of the show but neither one of them has really had to battle too hard to stay at the top of the heap. That ends tonight.

Dilana's singing of Behind Blue Eyes makes me nostalgic for the Fred Durst cover version and that ain't good. I know she ripped a calf muscle and I feel for her but her mini rant and her solo song reveal that while she's talented and intense she's just a bit too troubled for Supernova. I imagine Supernova as a bit more lighthearted. Therapy and chamomile tea with honey might do the tiny terror a world of good. That me-against-the-world act gets tiresome especially on a woman who should be a bit more seasoned.

Magni covers Back in the U.S.S.R. It's back in the Zzzzs for me. He just can't seem to pep up. Even the outfit is standadd barware. His original song is pretty derivative too. He's good looking, he's a good singer, why isn't he sexy? Charisma is often indefinable but I know it when I don't see it.

When Dave finds out Storm will be covering Suffragette City he volunteers to play. Now I'm not sure if that's a fair advantage but it's always a pleasure to watch Dave Navarro play guitar and Storm works well with him. It's entirely possible to interact provocatively with a guitar play erwithout humping his leg. Storm's being theatrical again and her original song is a bit like an outtake from some hipster musical but it's catchy and I like it.

For a moment I can't believe what I am hearing. Is Lukas singing a slow version of Living on a Prayer? That's bad but then he follows it up with a song about his mother? Someone could mold this kid into an amazing talent but it's clear that he can't make his own decisions well. Dave Navarro adores it but I'm less than moved. I think Lukas is so cute and I adore the way he moves on stage but this set didn't distill for me the true essence of Lukas. I prefer the Lukas that I saw the first week, that strutting, eyeliner-wearing peacock stalking across the stage.

Toby sings what Lukas should have covered Mr. Brightside. He sings it oddly fast to my ears. Perhaps because his voice won't do what Brandon Flowers can do with his. He basically seems to talk his way through the song rather than sing. His own song is a bit of a rock anthem and he really does well with it. His physicality is very appealing and I think that may be why he works so well with Supernova.

Was it just me or did Jason Newsted seem to be somewhere else this evening. He was the king of noncommittal on each performance. I suspect he often disagrees with the rest of the band but doesn't say as much. He's learned to tone down his winces but his face still goes a bit flat when he is watching a bad performance.

The voting order thus far is :Toby, Lukas, Magni, Storm and Dilana. If I were voting for the performance I liked best it would be Storm, if I were voting for the best fit for Supernova I would vote Toby.

Matthew Wallace

Lukas has won Rockstar Supernova

September 13 2006 at 10:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NeLsOn A.

I was angry at Supernova's choice. Lukkas has no chemistry whatsoever with this band!!! His sound is NOT unique and his look is (been-there/done-that) with the punk rock era. Dilana not only served as the BEST contender but the fact that she's a female definitely gives this new band (which won't go very far with current frontman) the edge and look that creates production as well as charisma. I truly believe that this band won't have a sophomore album if they stick with the stiff they chose, not to mention, their debut won't sell much (as it should). I predict the band will have different views and disputes and this will ultimately break it up! Bad choice guys...you had it and you were short-sighted.

September 13 2006 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kathe

Lucas all the way....if they're not too threatened.
He's absolutely mesmerizing. By far the most talented, best range and tonight brought memories of Freddie Mercury with a side of Elvis. (strange right?????)
Magne is forgettable, Toby too bubblegum and Delana though very talented, too damn angry.

September 12 2006 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott redford

It seemed to me that all 5 downgraded their cover to showcase their original. Which is sensible I s'pose. Toby (the obvious best of the night) did the this the worst by throwing away Mr Brightside and giving the killer performance of his song. And he can do Killers songs cause his Somebody told me was great. Lucas redid his original again on elimination and it was far,ar better this time BECAUSE he actually say the words.He's really great but Jason is right, please sing semi clearly. Storm's theatrical sense won as she made everyone cry with her cover of Wish You Were Here which rivalled Marty's version from last season. Storm rocks ok but I suspect power ballad might be her way to go. I wish they'd given Dilana the chop before Storm though as I'v got used to Storm, especially since she stopped that silly 'weirdo' bug eye stuff. Dilana has real presence but her schtick is wearing thin on me now. Lucas's Bon Jovi was fine I thought as they've done that too Prayer as well. I agree Magni is great looking and Mr Cool but there ain't enough there, no craziness like Marty's mad conductor or JD's Las Vegas-ness from last season. Thank God for Toby's Robbie Williams-esque rock stadium presence. Supernova were watching Toby with undisguised awe (even Jason). You don't get performers like that every day and I am Australian! Whether Toby is GREAT as in Kurt Cobain great (or even Robbie great) I don't know...but who cares. It's showbiz.

September 07 2006 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allen

Supernova is the 21st century Monkees. Take a bunch of second rate musicians, at least one of them has some experience in the reality tv realm, find them a singer, put all the chimps on the stage in a "tour", put out an "album", disband til next year.
I can't believe I am saying this but, Rockstar: INXS had more integrity and more heart.
And Lukas is the second most annoying canadian since......JD Fortune.

September 07 2006 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynette

Toby or Magni are gonna be it. Lukas wrecked living on a prayer, what did he think he was doing. My choice if they were gonna have a chick is definitely Dilana. Storm is too blokish. I think Lukas or Storm should be the next to go.

September 06 2006 at 9:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lorraine

Toby rules absolutely. He has fun on the stage and the audience really, really likes him. Lukas was his usual incoherent self and I found his voice even more painful than usual to listen to. Dilana was sadder than ever. Storm gave it her best but seemed over the top and a little exhausting to watch. Magni was competent yet dull. Can't wait to see how Tommy does his hatchet job.

September 06 2006 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bored

What Lukas did was already done a zillion times by Bon Jovi themselves. They even released a version on their greatest hits, Prayer '94. It wasn't all that original, and it just looked like he couldn't hit all the notes in the original version.

Plonk.

September 06 2006 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
beRecruited

I disagree - Lukas rocked tonight. Showed a lot of emotion and power. Really enjoyed it...

Please vote on Lukas or Dilana on ebaymatchups.com:

September 06 2006 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salenahant

Last night I jumped ship as well. I have been a Delana fan from the get go, and I still think she has a lot to offer but not to Supernova. I have become a Toby fan, with Magni a close second. I don't and haven't liked Lucas from the beginning. Nothing he's done has changed my opinion. He mumbles and makes uncomfortable faces while he's singing. I've also jumped ship as a Gilby fan. Lucas inspires him? Delana's lyrics are too literal? Does he have a clue about his own over simplified song lyrics? I've read them, and well, all I can say is ho hum. Why is Supernova being so hard on Delana? Guys, it's just too easy--and simply cruel--to kick someone to the curb when they are already down. I've been a huge fan of the show all season, but sadly for me, it seems to be taking a rather sour turn.

September 06 2006 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply