April 24, 2014

The Five: Girls kissing girls

by Brett Love, posted Sep 6th 2006 9:34AM
Tiffani Thiessen and Jaime Pressly on FastlaneThe preview for this weeks Blade teased a kiss between Krista (Jill Wagner) and Chase (Jessica Gower). In celebration of that possibility, I thought now would be a good time to touch on other girl-girl kisses in our television history. Sometimes they are to make a statement. Sometimes they are a ploy to grab ratings. And every once in a while, it's just a natural part of the story. Here are the five that come to mind first for me.

Roseanne (Roseanne Barr) and Sharon (Mariel Hemingway) - Roseanne
This was an important moment in television. At the time, there was no L-Word, and two girls kissing was still a very controversial thing. Roseanne has her faults, to be sure, but standing up to the network to get this episode on the air is something to be proud of.

Ally (Calista Flockhart) and Ling (Lucy Liu) - Ally McBeal

This one strikes me as somewhat the opposite of the Roseanne kiss. There was much less statement, and much more ratings grabbing sensationalism in this lip-lock. In that regard, it worked very well. Of course, the gang over at Ally McBeal had plenty of practice. Along with Ling, Ally also kissed Georgia (Courtney Thorne-Smith) and Elaine (Jane Krokowski). But if I have to pick one, it's Ling every time. And yes, I was an Ally McBeal fan.

Willow (Alyson Hannigan) and Tara (Amber Benson) - Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Stretching a bit, because it's not just one moment, but I have to have Willow and Tara on the list because of the way Joss Whedon handled their relationship. It was never played for the sensational ratings grab and it was never about the show adding gay characters. It was just the natural progression of the story and Whedon always dealt with it in a very real way. As real as you can get when you are talking about witches living on a hellmouth anyway.

Inara (Morena Baccarin) and The Councilor (Katherine Kendall) - Firefly
I don't know if Joss makes the list twice because I am a big fan of his television work, or because of the way he writes women. A little of both perhaps. Either way, when the Councilor came calling on Inara, all aboard Serenity were a bit taken aback. Unfortunately for them, they weren't privy to the scene in Inara's shuttle that we were. It's a tiny little scene that doesn't really factor in to the overall "War Stories" plot, but it does give us a little glimpse at Inara with her guard down. Either that, or I was taken in by Inara as much as the Councilor was. Along with the two beautiful women kissing, this pairing is also notable because it was the setup to one of the classic Jayne lines in the series. "I'll be in my bunk."

Billie (Tiffani Thiessen) and Sara (Jaime Pressly) - Fastlane
Another entry that was played hard for ratings, and managed to deliver a moment Kelly Kapowski fans had been waiting years for. Taking a page out of Ally's play book, the week leading up to this kiss you couldn't watch FOX without being hit over the head by the promo. Yeah, it was cheap, but if you can think of a girl-girl kiss from television that features two more beautiful women, I'd love to hear about it.

hamid

shame oh shame

March 14 2007 at 3:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashwin

True. This has become a common feature now in clubs, pubs and schools.

Just do a google search on that and you will see!

November 16 2006 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shiai

I've always liked how Joss Whedon cloak and daggered the first Willow and Tara kiss past the WB's S&P censors, by slipping it in unexpectedly (but with perfect appropriateness) into the episode called "The Body," then moving on and acting as if nothing happened. Clever chap, that boy.

September 08 2006 at 1:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd

This is insane - the Youtube video of the Ally / Ling kiss is flagged as 18-years-old and older only, requiring registration.

That aired on broadcast tv - wtf?

September 07 2006 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gudlyf

Guys, the links are already in the post.

September 07 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosalita

Fun list, but now how about the The Five best Guys Kissing Guys? I did search to see if this list has aleady been done, couldn't find it. If it has been done, my apologies for the repeat request (unless it needs updating? :-) and the link would be great. Thanks!

September 07 2006 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MM

Tiffani Thiessen and Jaime Pressly might have been played purely for the ratings, but I have to commend the actresses for actually committing to the roles (and also, Kim Newton who wrote the episode and was a lesbian.) We were fooled that they were actually into each other and not two hot straight girls who just happened to be kissing. Proof of that is that lesbians loved it as much as the guys did. ;)

September 07 2006 at 5:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Personally my favourite Willow & Tara kiss is from the end of Entropy;

"Can we just skip it? Can you just be kissing me now?"

September 06 2006 at 3:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny

And people say there is nothing good on TV.

September 06 2006 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply