November 24, 2014

Battlestar Galactica webisode 2: The Resistance

by Jen Creer, posted Sep 7th 2006 7:06AM
BSG seal(Webisode 2) I just watched the second BSG webisode. As one commenter (Hi, JScott!) noted on my post on the first webisode just a few minutes ago, this one was shorter. But I think there was a lot going on. Remember back to Freshman College English where we found out that you can tell what characters are like from what they say/do and what other characters say about them.

It has long been said that Battlestar is an allegory for our times. Laura Roslin was compared to President George W. Bush, and even quoted him directly at times. Well, the allegory continues. New Caprica is set up like tents, and the sets definitely have the look and feel of every movie about Desert Storm I've ever seen. The New Capricans are living in Cylon-occupied territories. Sound like any other group of people living in war conditions among troops?

The opening scene is interesting because we find out from Duck that he won't join the resistance because he has other plans -- which causes Chief to say bitterly that he has a wife and child. So, what makes Duck special? Isn't it important to fight back? Well, I think one of our commenters (Hi, Akbar!) on the last post was correct: I think Duck's wife is going to die, so Duck will join the resistance. And it will have the irony of the guy who decides to start running after he has had his heart attack. And don't get me wrong -- even if that prediction proves correct, I don't think that diminishes the potential emotional impact that storyline can have.

While Chief and Jammer (Thanks, Akbar!) are talking, we also note that Jammer is filling a milk jug (water jug) from a hose. But he keeps spilling it on the ground-- gasoline. So, we know that Chief and Jammer are pretty much fixated on the resistance, and they are always doing things to fuck with the Cylons. At least, that is what I gleaned from it. Anyone?

Next, we have another reference to our own times. Jammer and Tigh argue quietly in the temple about hiding weapons there. Can you think of any other group that hides weapons in their place of worship and then asks their enemies to respect them? Jammer argues that it is sacred territory and Tigh dryly tells him to pray for forgiveness. But we get a sense then from Jammer that not only is he devotedly anti-Cylon, but he is also genuinely religious. Why would they tell us that? Because it might be important. Duck = family. Chief = resistance. Jammer = religion + resistance. Chief is notably absent from the Temple -- what is the red-headed chick's name, please? And obviously Tigh is well past salvation of any kind. Or is he?

So, a short piece, but I thought it packed its own punch.

I am wondering about the teasers they keep throwing at us too, that the humans will never be able to resist until they forgive themselves. That is interesting. If they can forgive themselves, then can they achieve some kind of redemption? Will that make them deemed more worthy of survival in the Cylons' eyes? This show has had religious threads coursing through it from the beginning. Christianity poised against paganism -- but who is the Cylons' Savior? Who will redeem them?

Rich

WHo are Jammer and Duck? Are they new characters or have we seen them previously?
If so what roles did they play?
PS. That green cap Jammer wore in webisode 9 was really cool? Anyone know where I can find one like it?

October 07 2006 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

Who are Jammer and Duck?
Have we seen them before? What roles did they play previosuly?

October 07 2006 at 1:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

So far so good. Really disapointed that Episode 2 was so short.

I'm also glad that they are focusing on secondary characters. The Cheif, IMHO, is one of the most interesting on the show. He seemed, even before this occupation stuff, old behind his years (I thought I read somewhere that the Cheif was orginally written to be much older). I would love to know his backstory. Plus, the fact that he and Cally got together. I love Cally :) She seems (or seemed) so innocent, but tough.

I'm interested to see where these shorts go. Its a nice way to bridge the gap (though, I wish they would have the opportunity to bridge the gap between the decision to settle and the beginning of the occupation).

Also, now that we've got new Battlestar, here's to hoping Akbar and I can play nice, unlike the Firefly Retro's this summer :)

September 08 2006 at 10:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Actually Nicole, it looks like NBC is getting youtube to take them down. That is unfortunate. Although a certain web portal of galactica goodness (galacticastation.com) has downloadable versions.

September 07 2006 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

Hey Nicole, Youtube is your friend.

September 07 2006 at 5:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole Simon

I would love to see them but it says to me "you are in the wrong region" assuming the european IP is not what they are looking for.

It is not as if they would put those episodes out on television / the web somewhere else so they could let me get exited anyhow ...

September 07 2006 at 5:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

"but who is the Cylons' Savior?"

I think that is supposed to be Hera (Helo and Sharons baby) from the way they were trying to get her back previously.

September 07 2006 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Akbar Fazil

I agree that the red head was Barolay who if I recall correctly was one of the resistance fighters with Anders back on OG Caprica.

September 07 2006 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Glenn

Ron Moore lists the participants on his blog today -

"The actors were Michael Hogan (Saul Tigh), Aaron Douglas (Chief Tyrol), Nikki Clyne (Cally), Matthew Bennett (Doral), Christian Tessier (Duck), Dominic Zamprogna (Jammer), Emily Holmes (Nora), Alisen Down (Barolay), and Carmen Moore (Sister Tivenan)."

So out of the people we haven't seen yet we're going to get to see the weasely Doral in action again. Can't freaking wait for Oct. 6.

September 07 2006 at 9:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Armando

I believe the red headed woman was Barolay, played by Alisen Down.

September 07 2006 at 9:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply