December 21, 2014

Blade: Monsters

by Michael Canfield, posted Sep 7th 2006 7:41AM
Blade(S01E11) Woo hoo, the last episode before the season finale (as show promos are so fond of saying). So far Krista's been turned into a vampire, seen her whole family killed, had her hand sliced off and grown back, etc. Marcus, meanwhile, has discovered the cure to all the ills of vampirism, and declared war on all enemy houses. And Blade has ... Well, Blade is still Blade. Basically he seems to run around killing non-essential vampire day-players far from the central story arc of the series. But that was before this week. Blade comes along nicely this time, bags a major player and Sticky gets more dialog this episode in some well-played scenes with Collins than he's had in the rest of the series combined.

Now explain to me how the purebloods have managed to survive all these centuries when they so easily get duped into believing that Chase has converted to their side against Marcus. If that isn't enough, why in the world is Marcus so sure a bomb on the company Lear jet is gonna do the trick to wipe out Charlotte and her crew of purebloods. Right after the crash Charlotte and her assistant "Lurch" wick away a few drops of blood, feed on nearby campers and are back on their way. It's not even that close a call for them -- though it did make Charlotte very thirsty. Good plan Marcus.
Marcus is all over Krista this week, but she's got him right where she wants him now that they've done the nasty.

So what happened to Randy Quaid, to Boone, or to Richard Roundtree? Who knows? But we get some uninteresting backstory on why Ray's such a driven cop. Just like every other hero on this show, (and just about every other TV cop come to think of it) he had his whole family killed or something. But Ray Collins and Blade do have good chemistry when they march into the empty town that Charlotte rampaged, like a couple gunslingers. For some reason Charlotte turns her small town victims into vampires instead of just sucking their blood and killing them. I never have figured out what criteria vampires are using on this show to decide when the kill and when to convert. Oh well.

For one of relatively few times this season, I felt the Blade side of the story was more interesting than the Krista side, which seemed to all come done to Chase wanting Krista to give up that locket Marcus gifted to her. All in all, some good action here and there, a couple very sexy vampiresses in Krista and Chase (even thought that much promo'd kiss turned out to be nothing really) and not a bad time-passer this summer.

Jake

I agree, I like this show. The truly sad thing, however, is that the only uninteresting character on the show, in my opinion, is its titular character. Shen has potential I suppose. I think the writers kill off people too easily though. (as evidenced by the deaths of all the purebloods in Cthon by the end of the first season, and the cop too)
I think that Charlotte turned the people in the school to dispatch of Blade while they recouped.
The main problem with the show is that, while I found the first season exciting, they now have nowhere to go and will have to come up with a whole new plot for the next season. I hope they can because this is pretty good action tv.

September 21 2006 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Malik

This show is great(as far as tv entertainment), and I am just sad that it is over next week. I think Blade said that the pure bloods turned the town, because they wanted to cause confusion...I was still wondering what makes them decide who to turn and who to eat...I don't like how they forgot about Boone, and Blade's dad. They should have definately kept the cop alive he would have been a great addition as a vampire or as a human!

Does anyone know the deal with pure bloods and how they grow?

September 11 2006 at 11:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NWSkier

I think they really blew it with this episode. I agree they should have kept the cop alive as a continuing character, and would add that they should have kept Charlotte and "Lurch" alive, too. The writers had a perfect setup for Charlotte to resurface and complicate Marcus' grand plan. Marcus now may never even find out that his plan to blow up the plane didn't work. As for Chase, she can stay as far as I'm concerned. That shot of her nude backside earned her permanent tenure.

September 08 2006 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
treegoat

I agree Gina - I think administering the cure to the cop would have been a good addition to the cast. I think they missed a a good opportunity there. Maybe he didn't explode bcs he hadn't turned yet? Hmm...

September 07 2006 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gina

I loved the way Charlotte crawled on the walls-like a spider and I was upset that they killed the cop-I liked him and Blade together-could have made for more interesting story lines-but he did not explode when Blade stabbed him--HMMM!
Krista is great-and Chase needs to go-she is like nails on a chalkboard-she should have stayed burned.
Sorry to see the series final is next week-I hope they renew!

September 07 2006 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Something I found odd, besides the young / old Charlotte was that the plane went down in a ball of flames yet both Charlotte and Lurch looked a whole lot better than Chase did when Blade blew up that building a few episodes ago. That seemed kind of odd.

September 07 2006 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cold Chilli

They never cover how old Charlotte is. They age longer than so she could be 200.
Its not covered how a pureblood is "born", since they seem to be different ages.

I think they made her young for the creep factor. When she was revealed as a pureblood and it helped her when Ray fell for her "I want my Daddy" cry

September 07 2006 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J

Tell me what you think? If Charlotte is a pure blood, which means she was born a vampire, and she is sooo old, why did they choose a little girl to portray her. Why couldn't she look older, like in her 30s or 40s?
Well, she is gone now so I guess it doesn't matter anymore. LOL

Also, I am a Blade fan, but although this series is about Blade, I find Krista and everyone else more interesting than Blade. Sticky tries his best but nothing compares to Wesley Snipes.

September 07 2006 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply