September 2, 2014

Rock Star: Supernova: Week 10 Elimination

by Deidre Woollard, posted Sep 7th 2006 12:39AM
(S02E20) There's been talk for weeks about a fix being in on Supernova. Certainly with every reality show I have to ask myself how much is truly the natural evolution of the game and how much is about what makes good television. With a competition like this it's even more tempting to speculate. After all, if you were creating a new band and putting your faith in a new lead singer, would you leave it up to fate or the whim of the public? In this case, I think Supernova might do well to listen to what the fans are telling them.

Magni gets the nod to do the new Supernova track. Not bad but not exactly terrific. He could have a great career in movie soundtracks. His voice is smooth and harmonious and his whole demeanor seems utterly forgettable to me. Which works because so does Supernova's music for the most part.

Tonight's encore also wins a Honda Element. Toby gets a well-deserved nod for his ultra-catchy original tune. Aussie Toby dedicated his song to Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. Congrats Toby but if you have to pay taxes on it and ship it back to Australia it's hardly going to be worth it.

The first up to sing is Storm. I suspect she chose Wish You Were Here not because she thought she would win but because she wanted to sing this song on national television. She makes herself, Jason and perhaps Gilby tear up. It's a pity if she goes home after a performance like that but it's a lovely swan song if so.

Dilana is next up and she sings I Want You To Want Me. She bills it as a punk song but that's not the way she sings it. It starts off slow and then she suddenly ramps it up too fast. It was sort of cosmically off in some way. I thought it was bad but not terrible. My companion and my cat are off covering their ears.

Lukas becomes the third to sing for his supper and opts to sing his own original Headspin again. I say this is a dumb move, my companion says it's a smart move since if he gets voted off at least he will have gotten his song out there. I suspect that Lukas does this because he is certain that no matter what he's headed to the final four. It's the equivalent of dropping out of a final endurance challenge on those other reality TV shows. His song sounds better tonight but it is as my companion aptly points out "a screamy Goo Goo Dolls song."

Alas against Supernova teacher's pets, Dilana and Lukas, Storm doesn't stand a chance. It's a shame since while Storm wasn't right for the gig, I'd really like to see Dilana, who mentions her fans every five minutes, or Lukas who seems to be very confident of his standing with the band, taken down a peg. The guys clearly have big love for the lovely Storm Large and she gets a warm sendoff and the promise of backup band assistance whenever she needs it.

voodoo

I agree about the Supernova songs - but lets face it, it's not intended to be a real band. Tommy Lee is still working with Motley Crue, he doesn't need a new band. It's all about the TV show (and some quick bucks) TL and Navarro are credited as executive producers.

An American Idol style opening act with The House Band and "your favorite rockers?" Please - if there was a shred of musical integrity to this thing, it just got wiped away. And like dtt I'm not a hater, I'm a long time fan of all 3 of the Supernova guys, and Dave Navarro too.

As to who "should" win and who will win - well that's two different things.

The show is called ROCKstar Supernova, not POPstar Supernova. They only thing Toby has going for him is his looks. He has an average, forgettable voice, but more important, he knows about as much about Rock as Nick Lachey.

Lukas, I agree looks like an Oompa Loompa. He has a weak voice and a very one dimensional persona.

Magni, you can't say anything bad about, he is a talented musician, has a great voice, fits well with Supernova. But he's not very exciting is he?

Dilana has had her ups and downs, but has consistently been the most original and compelling performer. She has the chops, and her performance with Supernova was hands down the best. If this were about music, she would win.

But its not, so they are gonna pick Toby

September 08 2006 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tiger

Conspiracy theory time: This thing is rigged, and the producers are creating a bit of drama.

Formerly forgettable Toby is the new frontrunner. Problem is that he's half the age of the Supernova guys, and sings like a pop Billy Idol. The girls love him; he's almost as pretty as Ryan, but I can't see Tommy Lee wanting a boy-band clone to be his front man.

Dilana was flying high from day one, then take back when she made snarky comments to the press about the other competitors. Dave Navarro went all whiny about this -- these folks are rock stars; grow some stones, Dave. But the result is that Dilana was taken down several notches. Heck, she was even wounded!

Now the big finish. Time for Dilana to rise from the ashes and win.

You read it here first.

September 08 2006 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackie

Wow as a woman I can't stand Toby, he comes across as the A hole in high school who slept with the chicks, told his friends and then humilated them all whenever he gets the chance. Even Tommy doesn't come across as crass as Toby and I love Tommy anyway. DTT I said the same thing in my house, the supernova songs are not as good as singers, dilana is the exception.

Brooke has mentioned twice that the house band will play with some of our favorite singers and their best song performances, so an American Idol tour, it sounds like.
Does adding Dave and Panic Channel and the House Band, justify the minimum of 150 dollars a ticket? I am almost beginning to think so.

September 08 2006 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
navalou

Oh... where to start, I agree with SO much already posted! Storm should definately still be there, as MrsEldubya said " For me, Storm just has this overwhelming love for music. She was always willing to sing the songs no one else wanted and showed no fear in this competition" here here!!

Dilana should be way gone... she has imploded the last few weeks and there is no way on god's green earth she can go the distance with a full fledged touring band which will be receiving the attention these guys will attract.

Lukas... I am over his constant angst... enough already!

Magni.. ok but that's not enough

TOBY is THE man to front Supernova... he 1.has talent to spare, 2.can adapt to any song, 3.knows how to have a laugh and release pressure, 4.oozes sex appeal and finally 5.he seems to genuinely get along with the Supernova guys.

Can't wait for next week but no, it'll all be over, what will I watch 3 nights a week then...

September 08 2006 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caldini

I went into watching Rockstar: Supernova with Lukas and Chris as my favourites. Just to remind you guys that Chris was way better than Dana, Jenny, Josh, Jill, Patrice and Phil. He just got out because of his second trip to the bottom 3. Anyways, after a few weeks I came to realize that Lukas' performances are sissy-like. Toby is THE man for the spot as lead singer for Supernova. His voice is great, his performances are amazing, has great chemistry with the band, AND makes the crowd move with him. If they don't pick Toby, they're gonna suck. Dilana just started sucking more and more, Magni just isn't right for them, and Storm shouldn't have been eliminated at all, but not lead singer either. Oh yeah, other than Toby, Ryan wouldv'e made a PERFECT singer for Supernova, his performances are just incredible. And... the best originals in both seasons of Rockstar are Ryan's and Toby's.

September 07 2006 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

dtt:
i agree completely - except for dilana's original, all have been better than supernovas songs.
i really thought storm (the chorus at least), lukas, toby, and ryan's songs were great.
and lukas playing his original again last night was brilliant... i can't get "you make my headspin" out of my head today.

September 07 2006 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dtt

Has anyone noticed that the original songs (any of them) done by the finalists are all better than the SuperNova songs? Sad really -- considering the originals have not been all that good...The Supernova songs are just that bad! And I am by no means a hater, I like all of the stuff Gilby and Jason have ever been involved in (all the way back to Kill For Thrills and Flotsam & Jetsam). I mean the supernova songs could not be saved no matter who sings on them. Robert Plant or Ronnie James Dio could not even save these songs. They would be better off selecting one of the finalists and then going back to the drawing board for songwriting.

September 07 2006 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

MrsEldubya,

I think they're setting it up like the idols tour; in that case the top ten goes on tour.
in this case, everyone but the winner (or maybe just the top ten? or whoever's available? not sure...) will sing with the house band, probably a couple of songs each.

September 07 2006 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Oh I have a question... The House Band is touring with Supernova.... who is fronting that band? I know last year Mark Burnett offered Marty a job singing with the house band and he turned it down to go back to his original band. So does anyone think that Toby wins and Lucus sings with the house band on tour?

September 07 2006 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Toby should win this thing if Supernova was smart. I do think that Storm deserved the final four more than Delana. Delana has imploded the last two weeks and loves to remind everyone about how she messed up. They forgave her so she should drop it. Delana had her chance and messed it up with "Psycho Killer" and Want You last night. Everytime when given a chance to pick her own song (vs out of a batch of pre-selected songs) she's sucked. Plus she's not a good song writer and they pointed that out to us twice now.

Storm's mom died a year ago (I think I read that on her msn page) and that's why she sang "Wish You Were Here". She probably had a clue this might be her last chance. Last week she sang in honor of her brother who has been a rock for her and her family, it was his birthday. For me, Storm just has this overwhelming love for music. She was always willing to sing the songs no one else wanted and showed no fear in this competition. She deserved to be on the final show.

September 07 2006 at 9:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply