October 25, 2014

The Simpsons: The Mook, the Chef, the Wife and Her Homer (season premiere)

by Adam Finley, posted Sep 10th 2006 8:05PM

simpsons(S18E01) When Bart refuses to let Lisa sit with him on the bus, she tries to complain to Otto, but he'd rather rock out to his Grand Funk Railroad tape than bother with her. She tries to get his attention but manages to break his tape in the process, leaving him with no musical options except the kids' rendition of "Old MacDonald Had a Fart" and whatever crap his bus radio is spewing out. At that moment, he sees Metallica's tour bus stranded on the side of the road, but they opt to get a lift from Moleman, who once slept with Lars' grandmother. Oh yeah, and Bart steals the bus.

Enraged, Otto encounters Bart outside the school and spanks him. The corporal punishment is witnessed by Skinner, who instructs Otto to turn in his beaded seat cushion and gun. Until Otto is reinstated, the kids will have to rely on car pooling to get to school. On the first day, Marge takes Bart, Lisa and their friends, including Fat Tony's son, Michael. Since he's the son of a mob boss, everyone is afraid of Michael and wants nothing to do with him, but Lisa sees he's not the hardboiled criminal his father is and befriends him. Michael reveals he wants to be a chef, which upsets his father who wants him to take over the family business.

When Fat Tony is hospitalized after a near fatal hit, Homer takes over for him, confident he can handle the pressure of being a mobster after seeing the "greatest gangster film ever: Shark Tale." He decides to lean on Moe first, alternating back and forth between mobster Homer and regular Homer:

Homer: All right, tap jockey, you owe Fat Tony fifty bucks! Cough it up!

Moe: Look, mister, I don't got the cash, My clientele, they're all bums. They never pay.

Homer (grabs Moe): Just get the money!

Moe (grabs Homer): Homer, the mob is puttin' the screws on me, see? I ain't gettin' killed cause you won't pay your tab! Now give me fifty bucks!

Homer: Take it, take it! Just don't hurt me! (He grabs Moe again): Okay, pretty boy, where's Fat Tony's fifty bucks?

Moe: Look, all I have is twenty-five. I swear, I swear!

Homer: It'll do for now!

Michael becomes concerned that Homer and Bart are starting to enjoy their new "occupation" a little too much, and to set things right he prepares a dinner for his father's enemies in order to make peace:

Michael: My friends, I surrender. I'm handing over over all my father's territory in exchange for the safety of my family and the Simpsons.

Mobster: Sorry, we can only guarantee we won't hurt them.

Mobster 2: Yeah, you know, they still gotta eat right and exercise.

Mobster 3: Walk the dog once in awhile. He's a furry little fitness machine.

As it turns out, the meatballs Michael served them contained poison. Did he kill them on purpose? More importantly, will we ever hear from Fat Tony's son again, or will he forever disappear like Reverend Lovejoy's daughter? I'm guessing the latter.

Moments I liked:

• Nelson chucking a rock at a squirrel and coming to the conclusion that squirrels don't like rocks
  • Fat Tont using a Garfield three-ring binder to flatten the tires of a pursuing vehicle
  • Homer fantasizing about "taking a dirt nap," which to him means simply sleeping with your head in the ground
  • Bart loading the cat into his slingshot and aiming it at Flanders

Gene

I was a little shocked to see the return of Lunchlady Doris myself, I wonder how much discussion went on around the writers' table on that one -- I believe that this is the first return of a "retired" character who's voice talent passed away. Will we soon see the return of Lionel Hutz or Troy McClure?

September 11 2006 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chareth Cutestory

Wow, alluding to a Peter Greenaway film, I like how they make titles the general public won't get.

Well, at least it's his most commercial and, erm, coherent work.

September 11 2006 at 7:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Danny Cohen

Favorite Parts:

- The green bug thing that Otto hallucinates.
- "Finding Nemo" reference

Least Favorite Part - relying on funny mob-diction to move a lot of the scenes. I was upset to hear "whack" used so many times that it was not funny anymore.

Also, if they had spent less time on Otto (and Metallica), they could have gotten into more of what could have made the episode better: The characters, and not gimmicky guest stars and fun mob wods.

September 10 2006 at 11:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
OneCharmingBastard

It was better than I expected - that alone is worth noting - and the Lisa as Diane Keaton thing at the end was downright brilliant - I return to a Sunday night FOX committment cautiously.

Plus - Was that the first we've heard of LunchLady Doris since the death of Doris Gau?

September 10 2006 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt S.

Yeah, Harry Shearer really seemed OFF on his Otto this episode... same guy, but he was just doing it... ODDLY.

I know it's become cliche to rag on the Simpsons and say things used to be "better," but MAN. Didn't even smile, much less laugh, at this very weak Godfather parody. How could Homer as a mob boss NOT be funny?? Man, so many lost opportunities.

September 10 2006 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dinu

Was it just me, or did it sound like they had a new person doing Otto's voice?

Other than that it seemed a pretty straightforward Simpson's episode, a few laugh out louds, some chuckles, but still enough to keep one's interest.

September 10 2006 at 9:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

Wow this episode was pretty bad. I haven't watched The Simpsons for sometime now and now I remembered why. There was so much hype for the premiere, but it was dissappointing. Good to hear Joe Pantoliano and Michael Imperioli though.

The only funny part I guess was when they did the Godfather style ending and Lisa opens the door, only to see everybody playing with toys.

I guess I don't find the show that funny now because I have been watching Futurama for the past few weeks, and that show rocks.

September 10 2006 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jordy

wow. this episode just started, and already the review is posted. i suppose you can't be accused of being slow lol.

September 10 2006 at 8:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply