August 30, 2014

Jericho -- an early look

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 11th 2006 2:32PM

Gerald McRaneyCBS has been heavily promoting this new drama (if you watched The U.S. Open, it was teased approximately 2000 times), and we gave our quick first impressions several weeks ago, but here's a little more about the show.

Basically, it's The Day After: The TV Show. A loner (Skeet Ulrich) goes back to his small hometown in Kansas, just to stay for the day, to finish some business, when some sort of nuclear (?) explosion happens in the distance, perhaps Denver. The town is completely cut off from the outside world. They can't communicate with anyone. But what worries is that one of the kids in the town was talking to his parents on the phone when the blast occurred. They were in Atlanta, and a blast happened there too. Or did it?

Besides the whole "nuclear war" plot, we have the personal stories of the people in the town that Ulrich has come back to. Ulrich's estranged father (the mayor of the town) and loving mom; the tough teen with the heart of gold; the school kids; former flames, former enemies, new faces in town.

We're starting to see more and more dramas take the Lost/24 route. Not different, standalone stories each week but an all-encompassing mystery that will unfold over the season. Will viewers really want to stick with a show like that, or are shows like Lost a fluke? And what if viewers just "sense" that a show will be canceled soon? They won't put any time into watching it, knowing the mystery will never be solved.

I think Jericho deserves a chance. It's not perfect by any means (I'm not convinced of Skeet Ulrich in the lead role yet, but he's OK, and it has Gerald McRaney - straight off that stagecoach from Deadwood - and Pamela Reed), but it certainly has an intriguing premise, one that certainly had me saying to myself at the end of the pilot, "hmmm, I wonder what's going to happen next?" Obviously, that's what CBS wants to hear from viewers. I just hope that they really run with the paranoia, 50's sci-fi aspect of the show, the small town not knowing what's going on. Is it war with another country? A nuclear accident? Aliens?

I'm sure some of these questions will be answered in later episodes. The show starts on CBS Wednesday, September 20, at 8pm. And we'll have more info on where you can see the show once it hits the web.

Ann

Great show and we have 22 episodes now! CONGRATS to all at JERICHO! Who is that Hawkins and why don't they give more air time to Gerald McRaney??? Just don't understand that.

October 17 2006 at 2:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
strikerx98

Personally I'm already hooked. Love the show which means it's probably doomed to be cancelled... but then LOST has made it to season 3. Maybe there's hope. (Back to re-watching my Miracles DVD's)

October 17 2006 at 1:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
samantha

does anyone know the name of the song playing in the 2nd episode when they are having the cook out?

October 17 2006 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott

did anyone catch the call sign in tonights episode.

scott

October 04 2006 at 9:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nick

For David, who assumed cars wouldn't run: self-contained electronics could be fine if they weren't running at the time of the blast or were far enough away from the source. The burst altitude also has a lot to do with it. Being shielded by a mountain range would likely save their cars, plus the distance alone.

Does this mean I think "Jericho" is well-done? Not really. It lacks the tension the trailers promised and the characters seem stiff. But, episode 2 was better than 1 and maybe that trend will continue.

September 29 2006 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
newo

Jericho was not the crappy waste of time that you guys put it up to be. I enjoyed it, although, yes, the science was waaay off target. Cant we just watch a good drama without nagging over every single mismatch? I really am hoping that it doesnt turn out to be another LOST-what-the-heck-this-season-provided-no-answers type of show...

September 27 2006 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gorddon

can anyone tell me all the music tracks they used for the pilot episode of jericho please. Thanks.

September 25 2006 at 9:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

does anyone know where dale turners mother decided to stay?

September 21 2006 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wenki

Neb,
I did some searching and someone else claims the song was 'Run' by Snow Patrol. Hope it's correct. Good luck.

September 21 2006 at 2:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wenki

Neb,
Thank you so much...you're my hero. I wish I could help you with the last song. Was it the same song played in the trailer? If so it's by The Tories.

September 21 2006 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply