November 23, 2014

Prison Break: First Down

by Keith McDuffee, posted Sep 11th 2006 10:49PM
prison break(S02E04) "Noo!" If you caught tonight's episode, that's most likely one of the reactions you had toward the end of the show. In the interest of not spoiling things for those who hadn't seen the episode, I'll leave my comments about this event for after the jump.

This week we're back to following T-Bag, Tweener, and Abruzzi as well as Michael and Lincoln. No sign of Sucre or C-Note this time, though it looks as if we'll see at least Sucre next week. If you couldn't tell already by the title, by the end of this episode we're less one member of the cast. And this is where I have by beef with the show.

Why would the folks responsible for this show decide it was time for Abruzzi to go? His storyline in this episode clearly felt rushed, as though it was thrown together at the last minute in order to let Peter Stomare (Abruzzi) leave the show to persue more Volkswagen ads.

Suddenly Abruzzi is sporting fancy duds and is safe behind the comfort of his family, but still this Fibonacci guy haunts him. So he acts completely irrationally and believes the first tip he gets, then believes his hotel wouldn't be crawling with cops to begin with. I guess what some commenters said before is true, that we're just meant to believe that people in the convicts' situation will act completely irrationally, which is why we'll see them taken down one by one.

When Abruzzi entered the hotel room, I initially thought he was walking into the same hotel where Tweener was taking a shower, but since Tweener already showered, that quickly left my mind. But I did know something was up, and I did know (again, from the title of the episode) that someone was going down. And the way Abruzzi's side of the story was moving so quickly, I just started to understand it was he who was going to be the first down.

Why did the writers bother putting us through the whole "is Abruzzi dead" thing last season when the plan was to kill him within four episodes of this season? Didn't the cry of sad fans of the show, who thought Abruzzi was dead last season, drill it into their heads that he was popular?

Something that occured to me later that might have been cool would be if we learned that Fibonacci was actually someone we've already seen on the show or someone who's been working for Michael all along. But since we caught a glimpse of Fibonacci already last season, that's likely not to happen. Too bad.

Alright, enough about the late Abruzzi. It was good to see that T-Bag's hand is causing him some major issues, though not enough in my book. The scenes for next week show the hand to still be intact, and I think it's time for that sucker just to fall off so we don't go on believing that vet could actually have done such a good job.

Why would the cops ask which car was T-Bag's when he initially said he didn't drive and didn't have a license? That seemed like a completely messed up piece of dialog.

One of the more interesting portions of the episode came when Michael called Sara, revealing that the note he gave her does hold some key. "It's real," he says. "You and me, Sara." So are their names together part of the key to crack the code? You tell me.

Matt

T-Bag is a great evil character, no doubt about that. But, I will not be able to respect this show unless it has Michael and Lincoln dealing with the fact that they loosed him on the world. Are the two lives he's already taken worth Lincoln's one?
As for Abruzzi, there was more they could have done with him, but they have to trim the fat somehow. If only it could have been Sucre.

September 15 2006 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

How about Tweener? He acted like a nimrod for almost the entire episode, still won Debra Jean over and as a clip from next week's episode was shown, got some.

On the other hand, Bellick offered Nika $1.6 million to get it on, and she still wanted none of him since she only acted like she would so that she could snatch the gun.

In closing, Bellick is becoming more of a loser with each episode, and Tweener is slowly becoming a cool character. I hope that Tweener will be around for awhile.

September 14 2006 at 6:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

Personally, I think the writers went easy on us viewers with the T-Bag segments, they've demonstrated he's an evil pervert and annoyingly clever and ruthless.

Some felt sick, I felt relief! Relief that the ruthless writers wouldn't show us this crime be comitted, and relief that after he killed her father and took his car, he didn't kidnap her in the process!

Did anyone else think that Michael while getting in the car with Lincoln should have said something like, "Don't worry you'll still get 10,000 dollars" to Nika, I mean he DID put her through a lot of trouble!

September 13 2006 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sid

t-bag!! man when the hell his hand fall of?!?
he seems to doing a lot with a sewn back hand,too much i say! its just not possible that he can move it about like that..
yea i dont like t-bag, that bit with the little girl was sick!
kill him off!

good episode though..

September 13 2006 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I really dug the whole fakeout with Tweener and Abruzzi. I'll admit, I was a little worried for the kid. He's become somewhat endearing to me despite his Vanilla Ice persona.

Will we ever see what became of Haywire? I miss him.

September 12 2006 at 11:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
baorao

Did anyone else have about 90 seconds of dead air with just the Fox logo during the breaks before and after T-Bag's encounter with the girl? I thought our cable was messed up but then it occured to me that it could be unsold ad time because of the content of that particular segment. Or maybe it was local ad time. Or it could have been a problem with the HD broadcast. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

September 12 2006 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Talk about talking to the TV... I kept pleading for them to find a way to keep Nika around (and in front of my wife, no less :). Wowee wow-wow. [User pounds head with shoe, howls like wolf.]

September 12 2006 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

Way to gloss over everything else! But the Fibonacci storyline wasn't going anywhere anyway. (But it was good to see Abruzzi cleaned up!)

Nika was tricky, but she still ended up getting screwed over. I have a feeling we'll be seeing more of her and Bellick sooner than later.

We got a tiny clue about the note michael left Sara, but not enough to figure out the puzzle. How is that supposed to "protect" her?

Agent Mahone definitely has some issues. Good episode overall.

September 12 2006 at 1:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bryce

"One of the more interesting portions of the episode came when Michael called Sara, revealing that the note he gave her does hold some key. "It's real," he says. "You and me, Sara." So are their names together part of the key to crack the code?"

Michael-Sara, is obviously a reference to another FOX show. Michael Cera, the actor who played George Michael. Obviously the show Arrested Development is coming back.

September 12 2006 at 12:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rebecca

Waaaaah!!! I'll miss Arbruzzi. He was my very favorite on the show.

Even with that, it was an exciting episode. I don't remember the last time I've talked back to the television like that!

September 11 2006 at 11:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply