November 23, 2014

Earl to shy away from his list this season

by Anna Johns, posted Sep 12th 2006 12:31PM
my name is earlI'm not sure I like this news. The television reporter at the Washington Post is reporting that every episode of My Name is Earl will not be about checking something off his list. According to Lisa de Moraes, the writers/creators felt confined by the format and only stuck with it to see if they could get through the first season (and be renewed). Apparently, some episodes will have nothing to do with the list. The Post reporter doesn't say what the other episodes will be about. The writing on the show is definitely hilarious but I kind of liked the gimmick of Earl having to cross something off his list each week. Although, I can see how that would get old after a few seasons. Guess we'll have to see what they come up with. See how I talked myself off the edge?

How do you feel about this change?

erroneous_nick

You know, I was thinking about the list/no list discussion and I've changed my stance just a little. I say let them do whatever they want as long as they don't subject us to "a very special episode" torture. I hate when that happens.

September 14 2006 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misterblue

Count me in the 'But...but... I LIKE the list..!' column, but it would be neat to see some multi-episode arcs. Not EVERY story HAS to be wrapped up in 22 minutes...

September 13 2006 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
erroneous_nick

I also have to agree with elf. The lessons learned in the end always gave a little lift to what otherwise might come off as just another lowbrow comedy. If the list is avoided in some episodes, I hope Earl & Co. can still learn something about how to become better people. That is the whole point of the show.

September 12 2006 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff

I'm all for this change. To be honest, I was already getting a tad sick of the list last season. It really hit me in the episode where Earl was developing feelings for the lady teacher, but had to abandon the notion of a relationship because karma wouldn't allow it until he finished his list. It just seemed liek they were telling us that there was no room for growth in Earl's universe. With Earl's companion series The Office casting aside the self-contained episode format for larger character arcs and Arrested Developments' wacky continuing storyline, my patience for episodic comedy is beginning to wane.

September 12 2006 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RandyPQ

Do I understand this right? They put their "best stuff" on the table just to get through to renewal of the second season? But now they want to change to something else?

September 12 2006 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

Agree with elf. The show isn't about "the list", it's about karma and trying to make a difference in your world. And as long as they keep that theme, I don't think they can get too far from where they need to be.

September 12 2006 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

It is the same thing that happened to South Park when they killed Kenny (although they let it run for a few seasons longer before axing it) -- you can only do so many before the "thrill" wears off

September 12 2006 at 3:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael G

Meh...

The list only puts him in situations, I think his life by itself will do that too.

Plus with all the characters on the show, (plus Guest) There is enough humor to not need a list.

September 12 2006 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chaim

Keep the list. I mean it doesnt have to be EVERY week, but most weeks that should be the framework. I really liked that list. I thought it added a lot of heart to the show. I would say 80 percent of the episodes should have the list. I just hope they don't plan on doing away with it mostly. That list keeps Earl in check!

September 12 2006 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jamie

I do not mind a shift in storyline, particularly since I have been bugged by how the (relatively) limited amount of lottery winnings Earl has would last throughout several seasons of righting his past wrongs. Perhaps I just have no concept of dollar amounts.

September 12 2006 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply