October 24, 2014

Introducing Jack Bauer's dad: James Cromwell!

by Bob Sassone, posted Sep 12th 2006 4:11PM

24Yup, ol' Zephram Cochrane/Stretch Cunningham/Dudley Smith himself will play Kiefer Sutherland's father on the upcoming season of FOX's 24.

The story is a more personal one this season. Instead of saving the world again, Jack Bauer will be trying to save himself. Also joining the cast is Eddie Izzard, who will play a bad guy. The new president this season? President David Palmer's brother, played by DB Woodside.

I haven't seen one episode of this show (I was an Alias fan), but if this season is a self-contained story where I don't have to know what happened exactly in the past few seasons, maybe I'll give it a shot. What exactly do I need to know as a first time 24 viewer (besides the fact that Jack's a spy, his wife was murdered in the first season, and that he was captured at the end of last season)?

[via TV Tattle]

David W

Three comments....
1. Jack was not involved with Marie Warner in season two. He was involved with her sister. Marie was the psycho that everyone loved to hate.
2. James Cromwell as Jack's dad is great! I can't wait to see it.
3. The new season starts on Fox Sunday January 14. Check your local listings! LOL!

November 28 2006 at 3:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrissy

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHEN THE NEW SEASON STARTS

September 24 2006 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dries

just a small note: you forgot to tag you article in the 24-category

September 13 2006 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

i bought a messenger bag a couple months before the season started that looks very similar to jack's bag 'o tricks. mine only came with c4, a number of bullets in clips and some chapstick. i wish i could get that treo 650 that can upload pictures in a second and recieve data instantenously.

hopefully he upgrades to the 750.

September 13 2006 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

The messenger bag of death rules! They should market that as the must have accessory for any would be badass! It contains guns, knives, communication equipment, decoders to break through security alarms, bomb defusing devices, and extra MacGuyver materials such as string and paperclips. Jack never travels from home without it.

September 13 2006 at 9:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misterblue

Meg, I heart Jack's manpurse. I fret when they are apart.

September 13 2006 at 1:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misterblue

"So...was Donald Sutherland too busy?"

I dunno. While it may seem like the obvious choice, I think ultimately it would be the thing that would make the show jump the shark. I would be constantly reminded of the real life father/son connection and that would erode my perception of 'Jack Bauer'.

Plus, James Cromwell is badass, as anyone who's seen LA Confidential knows. I can totally buy him as Jack's dad.

Random factoid: Kiefer was in a failed TV pilot for an 'LA Confidential' series as Kevin Spacey's (!!!) character...

Meg, I

September 13 2006 at 12:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
crazyrabbits

"Jack's daughter Kim (Elisha Cuthbert) is estranged from her father, as he has been responsible for the death or appendage removal of everyone she loves."

Actually, it's Kim's fault that Miguel (her boyfriend in season 2) had to have his leg amputated (lost it?) when Kim set fire to the police van they were in (after being arrested) that rolled down a hill. Rick (season 1) was shot, but lived. Chase (season 3) lost his hand, but was having it reattached, as per dialogue from Jack).

September 12 2006 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Meg

No one's mentioned Jack's manpurse yet?

September 12 2006 at 9:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Colbo

OH yes! One last important note:

There is a deadly, uber-sexy bisexual assassin named Mandy (Mia Kirshner) who started the show by blowing up a plane, tried to assassinate President David Palmer with a toxic handshake, then resurfaced again to torture a classic CTU couple, Tony and Michelle, before Curtis (with a haymaker to the face) and Jack arrested her to find Day 4's main villian, who she had been working with. Expect Mandy to resurface this year... she is Nina 2.0

September 12 2006 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply