October 22, 2014

A look at Meredith and the new Today show studio

by Keith McDuffee, posted Sep 13th 2006 7:47AM
meredith and mattMeredith Viera and the new Today show studio made their debut this morning on NBC. I've been an occasional watcher of the Today show for a bit over ten years now, seeing Bryant leave and Matt taking his spot, so I did want to make the time to catch the show this morning and see another new regular host take her place. This was also the debut of the new Today studio, in HD no less (though, sadly, I don't have HD yet. Boo.)

The studio is quite different looking, and the layout itself seems to have taken a bit of an alteration as well. For one thing, there's an area that I swear looks a lot like The View's seating area, with a semi-circular layout of chairs and couches. I don't watch The View, but I have seem the set before. I really thought, "is that The View studio they're showing?" when the camera panned around to show how things were laid out.All of the backgrounds are quite different looking, especially in the one-on-one sitting area where Meredith had her first sit-down with Tim Russert. Very bland and overly futuristic looking is the only way I can describe it. Oh, and very blue. Really, it looks like they were sitting in a hotel lobby bathroom.

Meredith needs a little work covering political issues with Russert, but that's reasonable, it being her first day and all. It just didn't seem natural, but then again how am I to know what's natural for Meredith when I don't watch The View.

Yes, there was some corny hand holding here and there, but that didn't bug me as much as those corny promos. Hell, this is a woman's first day on a new show, covering real issues with real people. Of course she's going to need a little comforting. She does flub her first "we'll be back in a moment, but first this is Today" segue, saying instead "we'll be back in a moment, but today..." Not like she couldn't easily make fun of herself later, which both she and Matt do.

Later we see the seating area I mentioned earlier, and while most of the rest of the studio is a light blue, the backgrop here is orange. I mean, it's like Laugh In, 60's orange with light orange squares. Seriously, I miss the books and stuff in the background before; they made it more homey feeling. And when I was bored with the person they were interviewing, I could read the titles on the spines on the books and think, "hoe many copies of that book are being sold, just because they appear there on the shelf every morning?"

Anyway, that's the first half hour or so. I was the only TV Squader who regularly gets up this early, so you'll have to deal with my brief look at how this new Today show went. The format's the same but the co-host and studio are different. Really, not a huge stretch for anyone, and I seriously doubt people will change their viewing habits of the show because of any of those changes.

Charlie

The disaster continues. We're not imagining this; NBC really has a developing disaster on its hands. Meredith Viera is a huge misfit.

Each day brings us a new set of uncomfortable if not cringe-making Meredith attempts at humor or camaraderie with the real Today show people. This morning had Meredith commanding Matt: "Don't get me started! on George Clooney", as if we might be subjected to a description of her romantic fantasies. Matt jumps back, as in Okay! We have been so advised!

Crash! Nothing like a train wreck to start your morning. Each morning.

The real question is: how long can NBC keep avoiding the inevitable? It's got to be a huge embarrassment to admit the mistake and hook Viera from the stage. But each day that passes is running the risk of moving more viewers into the ex-viewer column.

December 12 2006 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Thomas

I tought it was just me but I am truly disappointed with the current Today Show. It feels like the loss of friends. The set is unsettling and, as others have said, cold. Before the set change I had no idea what an impact the set has. Since the change I cannot watch the show.
I also find Meredith Vieira unsettling. Clearly she is a skilled professional but there is something extremely grating about her delivery. I have tried to figure out what is wrong and hope that it will change since the Today Show was a part of every morning here. Maybe it is her voice. Maybe the print wardrobe. I am not sure but sure miss the comfortable Today Show of old.

November 29 2006 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine Austin

I have watched the Today Show throughout the years and enjoyed the upbeat, fun Katie Couric. However, I am shocked that NBC hired Meredith to replace her - Meredith does not have the "it" factor for this kind of show! Simply put, she has no charisma, no fun personality. She is bland, frumpy, unfashionable, unknowledgeable about many of the topics, terrible at cooking with Martha Stewart! She tells the audience that she can't cook and has a messy office. Where are this woman's talent's? Nothing is smooth for her. Campbell Brown would have been a better choice!

November 19 2006 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lesley

I am glad to see that I am not the only one dissappointed in the direction that the Today Show has taken. When Katie announced her decision to leave and then Meredith wasa arriving, it seemed like an eternity of farewells and arrivals. Thank goodness there was still Matt, Ann, Al, Campbell, Lester and Natalie. When Meredith arrived, I knew that it would be a bit of an adjustment to get used to but this is ridiculous. The direction of this once top rate morning show has been turned into a sophomoric, unprofessional joke. The segments are now a mixture of finding the perfect bra( with models???) and the week long subject of religion! The catalyst of this juvenile behavior is Meredith. I appreciate the long list of accolades and experience that she brings to the table however her rude and inappropriate comments are inexcusible.I list three of most recent incidents:
1. While cooking with Jamie Oliver and the Today team, Jamie referred to Meredith as "tiger" she then replied that she liked it when he called her that and then said something to the effect that she needed to be careful because his wife was in the audience that day.
2. When cutting to a commercial and preframing the upcoming segment (I believe on Chocolate) she said( sitting next to Al) that her favorite was "dark chcolate" and then said "if you know what I mean."
3. When the group was introducing spanning the globe with Lynn Berhmann, Meredith announced that this was her first spanning the globe and that she was a "virgin" then followed up by saying that she didn't think that she would ever be a virgin again!
Come on - This was a very trusted and first rate morning/news show that has now been turned into a circus.The weekend edition of Today with Campbell and Lester is now far superior and watchable than the fiasco during the week. I now choose to turn to GMA as I get ready for work and then turn back to NBc on weekends. Cut out the sexual innuendos Meredith. It is very offensive and unprofessional.

November 18 2006 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn

I like Meredith. I don't think the fans have given her a chance. After watching Katie for so long, how do you compare two totally different personalities. Meredith is Meredith. Every person deserves a chance to work into a role. It is always hard to take the place of someone who has been doing a job for a long period of time. Katie made lots of mistakes with names. Everybody just laughed it off. I always thought that she should have made a more conscious effort to get namaes correct, since she was a highly paid professional. But she was good at other things. So we can all sit back and criticize someone else's job, thinking that it is easy. Yet, when we try it and realize the work involved, we look at things from another angle. I like the entire team and wish them well. We are all Monday morning quarterbacks.

November 16 2006 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joni Fisher

After being a loyal Today show fan for many years, you are losing yet another viewer due to merideth Viera I cann't stand to watch her. Low class, looks ike she stuggles to fit in, and is trying to fit in "oh we're having so much fun, aren't we???? no, no, no. I Miss Katie, they should have tried harder,because she was so right. PLEASE HEAR ALL THESE COMMENTS BEFORE YOU LOSE ALL YOUR VIEWERS.

November 16 2006 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maggss

I turn the channel to Fox News when I see Meredith come on. She's so bland and her voice just makes me wanna go back to bed. The new studio is such a distraction for me. I keep hoping the tiles will start to changing colors. ha It's too cold and sterile looking. It looks like they are using the tiles of the space shuttle. Total distraction for me. I just don't understand why Ann didn't replace Katie. NBC TODAY please make a change or I'll have to keep changing the channel.

November 14 2006 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robyn

I am not impressed by the least with Meredith Vieira. Why couldn't have Ann replaced Katie and then someone who covers the weekend show been promoted?? It just seems like they had better options to go with and they settled with Meredith. She's rude, bland, and she tries way to hard to "fit in" with the others. I mean she's not even trying to earn her way in, she's very arogant, and that doesn't sit well with me. Its kind of sad. I love Matt, Al and Ann, but the show is taking a toll for sure.

November 14 2006 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

18. Have tried for weeks to appreciate Meredith Vieira, but her rude, arrogant approach to her cast members, NBC news professionals, guests, and audience, as well as her cold, uninformed, insincere reporting of significant news stops me in my tracks. Her feigned lack of self-confidence only makes it worse. Bad choice. Lost me as a viewer. Today's pseudo-sexual "dark chocolate" comment aimed at Al was the last straw. Grow up! This is national TV at (what used to be) the best. Too bad- Matt, Ann and Al are still great in my books.

November 11 2006 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply